Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Disgruntled
Posted By:
Posted By:mrswoody on: 11/1/2010 11:13:13 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Disgruntled
mrswoody

Disgruntled
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 11:13:13 AM
I started working for SuperCuts about 3 months ago, thinking it would be a good place for me to start out in the industry. At first I loved it, my co-workers, etc but now i'm feeling like the manager wasn't upfront with me about certain things. For instance, I was told that I needed either oster or andis clippers. I thought, "okay, thats fine... I already have oster clippers so I'll just need to get some new trimmers" Oh no, the first day I learned they had to be VERY specific model numbers. So I had to shell out a hefty chunk of money before I even got my first paycheck. I stayed positive and figured I was going to be making it back and then some. I worked as their receptionist (was making more than I am now) for a month before doing their training program. I was told that the pay rate would go down for the training week and then she'd bump it up to the stylist wage after the first week post-training. She claimed she had no idea why they kept you at that pay that first week post training...yeah, right, cuz now I'm learning they don't bump your pay up until your at level one. she knew exactly why! Made it sound like she was doing you a favor bumping the pay back up. I asked her about it and she told me I had to be at level one for the stylists pay rate. I told her that wasn't how she explained it to me and she said "well, it might be different since your part time. let me call the regional manager and ask her." I've spoken to another girl who started shortly before me and she feels mislead as well. When she confronted the manager about the pay she was pretty much told the same thing plus "well since you guys are kicking ass on haircuts, I'll call and ask if I can bump you guys up to a level one" My co-worker must've asked awhile ago cuz she said bitterly "guess not...". I was under the impression that they won't put you at level one until you can do 20 minute haircuts. So I've been busting my ass trying to get my times down to what they want. Now I learn that even if I get my times down, if I'm not selling enough retail they won't put me at level one and if I have a bad month and don't sell enough, they'll drop my pay back down (which is less than minimum wage...thank god for tips!) I just put my resume into a salon last week thats a lot closer to my house (15 vs almost 45 mins) and I'm really hoping to find another place soon because I don't know how much long I can put up with this place.

wildhair83

minimum wage
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 11:18:43 PM
hey check out one of the other threads under salon benefits. i think the one you need is "only commission" anyway they were saying that if you are considered an employee the salon has to ensure that you are paid at least minimum wage or they can get into big trouble by the labor board. check it out you might find some inf that will help you out!

mrswoody

Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 11:26:59 AM
Thanks! I'll go check that out!

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:29:38 PM
sadly, a chain salon will eat you up and spit you out. having goals like doing a 20 minute haircut does nothing for you as a creative individual. its a shame that this is your into to the business, i'd suggest you move on.good luck.

mrswoody

Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 12:12:34 PM
I could not agree more pixanne!! This has definitely turned out to be the wrong place for me. I'm a definite people pleaser and perfectionist...all this "wham, bam, thank ya ma'am" is hurting my oppurtunity to be creative and build a clientele. Its going to be hard...unfortunetly, a LOT of salons in my area are booth rental.