Posted By:
Posted By:lindakay on: 1/7/2011 8:59:51 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: I am a stylist not a maid
lindakay

I am a stylist not a maid
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 8:59:51 PM
If you have a salon with a mixture of booth renters and
commissioned stylists, what gives the renters the right to think that they don't have to do towels, empty their garbage
cans, clean the beverage area, or answer the phone?
They don t even sweep before their next client!

sizzor

Renters
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 6:50:08 PM
I own a rental salon and a contract is key, PERIOD.
I have found some real divas that think that because they are their own boss they don't have to do anything they don't want to. HOWEVER, I do think that having the two combined (renters & commission) is a bad idea, just for this reason, it's always a competition.

Diane3648

booth renter
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:42:24 AM
I have been a hairstylist for 40 years --yes I am one of the few still in the business--but I love this profession --when you are in it to make money you will not stay in this business very long but if you are in it to make a difference in someone else's life-- the money will come . I have owned a salon, worked as an educator, I have been a  distributor sales consultant, and hairstylist--my preference? Hairstylist! I am now a booth renter --love it --but we all share in the duties of the salon --You can not give rules to a booth renter --but you can choose your renters--The lady that I rent from knows when a room comes up for rent --she looks for the stylist that will work well will us all--and if they don't she will not renew their contract--you have the choice when it is your salon !!

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:17:18 PM
i think as an owner you have the right to expect renters to clean their own messes. i would have it in writing, that each one needs to keep their own area up to the standards you set forth.if they don't comply, think about a penalty fee to have the area cleaned by someone else, not you. one time should be enough, then maybe the stylist will think twice about being a slob.

Remy Blue
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:42:37 AM
Sounds like the salon needs to hire a cleaning person and a receptionist...
Renters are usu responsible for cleaning their own work stations. Yes, it would be nice if they helped keep the overall salon cleaned, but that is usu the responsibility of the owner and/or staff, which they are neither. If the owner said he or she would provide clean towels, then that is the owners responsibility, which usu falls on the staff and again, renters are not part of the staff. Renters should also have a separate phone that is used 4 business and answering the salon phone is part of the staff's duties if there is no receptionist, even if clients do call the salon phone 4 them. Remember, a booth renter is not staff, they are self employed.