Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Career advice- Is this right for me?
Posted By:
Posted By:DanaCo on: 1/25/2011 4:21:14 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Career advice- Is this right for me?
DanaCo

Career advice- Is this right for me?
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:21:17 AM
I can't decide whether or not to stay on track for pursuing cosmetology as a career. What I don't doubt at all is my passion for the industry. I love hair. I have wanted to do this since I was a teenager. I spend all my time reading about the industry, techniques, products, etc...

The only thing really holding me back is this feeling I can't seem to shake about whether or not I could be successful. My family never supported my idea of pursuing this career field. I have had them for many years drilling into me that I would be wasting my intelligence doing hair, although I don't feel like that personally. I came from a very strict background and I am extremely hard on myself. I can be very shy and somewhat insecure, not to mention I am now 40.

Can I really do this? Can I become a successful stylist that makes decent money? I fear that my expenses are so high that I wouldn't be able to make ends meet. It is so hard when truthfully there are other fields I could enter with a better almost guaranteed income. I don't think I will ever be happy though not being able to express my creativity. Is passion enough to succeed in this field?