Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Career advice- Is this right for me?
Posted By:
Posted By:DanaCo on: 1/25/2011 5:24:01 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Career advice- Is this right for me?
DanaCo

Career advice- Is this right for me?
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:24:09 AM
I can't decide whether or not to stay on track for pursuing cosmetology as a career. What I don't doubt at all is my passion for the industry. I love hair. I have wanted to do this since I was a teenager. I spend all my time reading about the industry, techniques, products, etc...

The only thing really holding me back is this feeling I can't seem to shake about whether or not I could be successful. My family never supported my idea of pursuing this career field. I have had them for many years drilling into me that I would be wasting my intelligence doing hair, although I don't feel like that personally. I came from a very strict background and I am extremely hard on myself. I can be very shy and somewhat insecure, not to mention I am now 40.

Can I really do this? Can I become a successful stylist that makes decent money? I fear that my expenses are so high that I wouldn't be able to make ends meet. It is so hard when truthfully there are other fields I could enter with a better almost guaranteed income. I don't think I will ever be happy though not being able to express my creativity. Is passion enough to succeed in this field?

DanaCo

Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:27:19 AM
Wow, guys! I'm sorry, I don't know why this posted so many times. That was certainly not intentional. I have never had that happen before. Is there some way to delete all the duplicate threads?

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:04:08 PM
what are you waiting for? the only way to find out is to do it! stop getting in your own way, follow your dream. nobody has a crystal ball to say how it will turn out, you need dedication, talent and balls to make it(in any field)so if you really love hair and think you would have what it takes, stop second guessing.

DanaCo

Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:10:56 PM
Thank you! I think you are absolutely right. I had a death in the family this week and I have been doing a lot more second guessing than normal with extended family in town and all the negativity and questioning about school and stuff.

I just hate those old feelings of insecurity that resurface being around some of the past negative influences in my life. I really need to just get over it and move forward!

KarenQ

So did you do it?
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2011 12:55:19 PM
So did you enroll in school? I too have always wanted to do this and promised myself that if I were to ever get laid off I would go to school. Same as you, my family did not think it was a good idea. Well I got laid off...I don't believe in pissing off Karma, so off to school I went. It was NOT what I had envisioned, but I made it through and am licensed. The problem is that the industry has changed so much...nights and weekends are a must and the corporate chains have really ruined the industry. I am working full time in my old field and not too happy. But right now, I practice on friends and relatives to gain experience and mostly confidence. I know I have this under my belt and will someday to this full time. Good luck to you! I hope you go for it. My advice, Really Really Really interview the school you want to attend. Pay close attention to the students that are there and the teachers.
"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane!"

FromYourHairstylist

Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 8:22:01 PM
can you make good money?

this year i'll be making around $65,000.

the owner of my salon (who pays herself commission like everyone else, not a salary) is making over $100,000.

so yes you can make great money. as long as you are willing to work hard & excel, you will be successful.
http://fromyourhairstylist.blogspot.com