Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > I don't know if this is right....
Posted By:
Posted By:nerdystylist on: 2/6/2011 3:15:26 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: I don't know if this is right....
nerdystylist

I don't know if this is right....
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 3:15:26 PM

I'm an apprentice, and have been working at a place for over 6 months. I basically got thrown into the mix. I get to take on clients which is great. But for the first four months I worked alone all the time. The stylist I worked occasionally with didn't care what happened to me or what I did. I still haven't been able to get signed up officially for my apprenticeship. I had clients come back with problems that they won't let me reconcile and they constantly hold it over my head.  I don't think they ever take into account that those clients I had when I was working alone and could have used the help of another stylist. The stylist I started out with quit, and the new stylist we hired is absolutely wonderful! She helps me out a lot and sometimes she can just tell when I need it. I want to stay and work with her, but I just don't know if the rest of the establishment treating me this way is worth it. The rest of the story is basically the way the manager and other employees behave. It can go on, I just don't want you to read a novel.

I appreciate any advice you can give.

vivid1

hang in there!
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 3:02:03 PM
This sounds like a very frustrating and somewhat humiliating situation for you. If things seem that they may be taking a turn with the new stylist that you are able to work with, things could get a lot better. I would suggest sticking it out and learning all you can from your new "mentor", and over time, you may gain new respect from the rest of the stylists at the salon. In this industry, the best/only way to really learn and grow is by doing, and hopefully now you have someone who actually wants to take you under their wing and help you along!!

nerdystylist

Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 1:16:21 PM
yes. I have stuck it out and the new stylist has taken over the salon completely. It just got so hard to handle being treated like that.  Lots of things have changed for me. I got to sign up for my apprenticeship but the 800+ hours I already worked before my new mentor took over. I don't really care I get to work on clients things are fantastic and I don't get hung out to dry on a daily basis!! I'm really glad I stuck it out.

vivid1

YAY!!
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 1:49:40 PM
That's great to hear! Working with a good bunch of people (or even one or two) can make all the difference in the world. I'm proud of you for having the courage and patience to stick it out,and I'm glad it ended up being worth it!!