Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Does it matter WHERE you work?
Posted By:
Posted By:didi815 on: 2/7/2011 8:57:50 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Does it matter WHERE you work?
didi815

Does it matter WHERE you work?
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 8:57:51 PM
Once you have established yourself as a stylist do you think the salon "style" matters that much?

Say you work in a salon that is by no means fancy, in fact just a basic salon with 4 chairs in a rural area that caters to clientelle of all ages. You've worked there for a few years so people are now familliar with you and know your work.

If you move to a salon and it has a little more of a "quaint" country look and is known to cater to a little more of an older clientele... do you think that will matter much to your existing clients as long as it is still a clean salon with comprable prices? And do you think it would stop potential new clients from giving you a try?

Basically, do you think the work of a stylist speaks louder than what a salon is known for? And do you think a good stylist can break the stereotype of a salon?

Because I have a great opportunity, and I am hoping if I take it I can break through the stereotypes. At the same time, it is what is holding me back.

Very curious on other's opinions on this.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 10:35:12 PM
clients come to the salon for its culture as much as for its talented stylists. if you move to a new salon, the culture should match yours so it will be a good fit. it would be a mistake to think that you will change the salon with your style of doing things. it would be wiser to choose a salon that reflects who you are and the type of environment your clients are accustomed to. another thing to consider is distance, clients have specific comfort zones, and no matter how loyal they have been, if your new place is out of their zone, you will see a decline in your numbers. so yes, i believe it matters where you work for a number of reasons.

missy

salon style
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 10:47:27 PM
I work in an "old lady" salon and I'd say my perfect salon would be labeled "punk rock" or "edgy", but I do well and my clients are comfortable. I have become a bit more conservative as far as showing my tattoos, but it doesn't bother me to "fit in" a little bit. If anything, the other stylists have become a little less matronly and more stylish too. I say, go for the better deal and maybe your style will rub off on the salon in a positive and motivational way!
:)

didi815

Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 7:35:40 AM
Thanks for your replies.

Pixanne- I live in a rural farm community that has a cluster of small towns. Some of the towns have 1 salon and some have none. The salon I could move to would be in the town I live in & within walking distance from my house. It would also be less than 10 miles from the other salon. The best part is in 1 year I can buy the salon and do whatever rennovations are needed. But the first year I will still be working with the owner so I can't do much about the decor etc. yet. I still would feel better getting in there and seeing how I do the first year or so rather than just buying it. On the other hand I don't want to risk a huge client loss from moving from a "family" salon to an "older lady" salon. Because if I don't do well, I won't be buying antything.

Missy- Thanks so much, that really inspires me. I also have an edgier style that I have toned down a bit. So it is good to know you've made it in the same kind of place I'm looking into working.

jadekitty
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:12:22 PM
I actually purchased an "old lady" salon in 2007, and the former owner and staff still work for me. It was tough to win the LOLs (little old ladies) over, but it can be done. I moved from a slightly more expensive, younger, more modern salon on the other side of my city, and only lost about 10% of my clients, most of them because of the distance, and a few of them because they worked in the mall the other salon was located in, and it was convenient for them.
What has been really interesting to watch is the LOLs taking style cues from our younger clients. They were using only ash (almost green) colours, and cap highlights! Now most of them are using more warm tones and getting foils! They even get Hair Bling put in.
It's almost like running two different businesses - one for older clients in the morning, and younger ones as the day goes on. We have a neutral colour scheme and pops of colour that work for all of our customers. And when you make changes, make them slowly. Our seniors were very resistant to changes.

didi815

Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:04:42 PM
Thanks Jadekitty! That really helps to hear that you did it. I am getting more and more excited and inspired about the possibilities!

jadekitty
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:05:36 PM
You're welcome. I keep a poster in my client lounge of a poem called "Desiderata". It was something that has been very inspirational to me, and was given to me by a close friend when I needed it most. Google it if you want, it's easy to find. But the best lines are as follows:

"You are a child of the universe
No less than the trees and the stars
You have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you
No doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."

Take from it what you will, but I took it to mean that I should follow my dream. I hope you follow yours too.

"Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you're up to."

didi815

Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:29:30 PM
Wow that is an awesome poem, thanks for that! I am definitely going to print it off.