Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Job Requirement - Why are photos required?
Posted By:
Posted By:StylistChick on: 3/29/2011 10:10:43 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Job Requirement - Why are photos required?
StylistChick

Job Requirement
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:10:43 PM
Why are photos so important for some salon jobs nowadays?

HairNews1

Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 7:39:38 PM
Explain more in Detail...
So I can answer your Question...;)
Silver Implements~ These are my ~Friends~~

StylistChick

Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 7:49:55 PM
When some salons advertise for stylists, assistants, etc, why do they ask for a photo?  How important is the photo in hiring staff. 

Remy Blue
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 11:22:11 PM
Some salons try to maintain and uphold a certain image. They want to make sure that your image will fit in with the salon image. Unfortunately in 2011 people are still judged based upon looks rather than their skill and talents...

StylistChick

Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 4:49:20 PM

I can totally agree with keeping a certain image and personality as that creates a more harmonious atmosphere and environment, when everyon is on the same page so to speak.  But that means people who are estethically challenged (in ones opinion) could miss out on great opportunities because they flunked the "look" test.

That brings me to my next question, so what about those individuals who may have a physical deformity but can do wonders behind the chair? Do they automatically "not" fit in?

To the btc community, has anyone dealt with this kind of situation.  And also what are your thoughts.  Just curious.

jadekitty
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 6:46:52 PM
We have a stylist who had a breast removed from cancer, and none of our other staff even resemble each other. :) We have a couple of slim girls, a couple of average ones, and a couple that are heavier. I am personally very conservative in my style of dress, we have a girl with tattoos, another one who has a hippie style, and another who has a more "motorcycle" vibe. We have a wide age range as well, from 21 to 65. I feel that it attracts a wider range of clients than a "cookie-cutter" salon where all the staff look the same. I would rather hire a new stylist based on the personality, not the appearance, within reason. Someone who is unkempt, dirty, or very outdated, etc. Skills can be taught, but a great attitude can't. Finally, if all the staff look the same, does that mean all the clients look the same when they leave as well? Unfortunately, we may be judged on appearance in this business. I have seen one too many salons staffed solely by skinny girls with large boobs in tiny outfits! I'd much rather have male clients who return to the salon for my talent, not my t*ts! If you don't match the cookie cutter, the salon is not right for you anyway.
On a final note, my best friend has come in and helped out by working the front desk in my salon. She had a brain tumour removed, and the left side of her face is partially paralyzed because of it. She also had to have her head shaved, and wore a variety of wigs. She's a better receptionist than anyone I've ever worked with, physical challenges or not. We also hired a young girl to work the desk one summer who had spina bifida and was in a wheelchair, also a damned fine worker. Her wheelchair wouldn't fit behind the desk, so she had a rolling office chair, and if she needed to go to the washroom, etc, one of us just wheeled the office chair to the back. Screw the mold - it's better to NOT fit neatly inside one.
"Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you're up to."