Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Fired by email 3 hours before shift
Posted By:
Posted By:mrswoody on: 7/3/2011 3:50:59 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Fired by email 3 hours before shift
mrswoody

Fired by email 3 hours before shift
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 3:50:59 PM
I started working at a local salon a couple months ago. Everything seemed to be going great. I liked my co-workers (1 nail tech, 1 aesthetician, 1 stylist plus the owner) and it seemed like a really supportive environment. I was working on commission (no set amount...depended on how much I made a night) until I got on my feet. She'd be adding a third station to the salon for me that she said should be ready a couple weeks after I started.
Then, I found a 2 week old message this past week on facebook from the owner asking me to send in a booth rental application so I can get my license. She seemed very excited about it! I immediately went on my states website & saw all that was involved for it (floor plan, driving directions & shop inspection) & since I've never been a booth renter, I emailed her to ask her advice. And since nothing was ever brought up in regards to that 3rd station being built (not since my interview), I thought this would be a good opportunity to ask about an ETA. Two days later I get an email from her telling me she was letting me go along with derogatory comments about my skills.
I had no warning and they had just pressured me to spend $200 on a color line and personalized business cards with the salons name on them just a couple weeks ago which are now useless. I asked her to reimburse me for this and she refused.
Is there anything I can do?

gd
Gold Member

Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 10:50:46 AM

There is really not much you can do without a booth rental contract. Use this as a lesson learned, make sure you have everything in writing before you spend any money.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 5:39:09 PM
you can most likely send the color back and get your money back. i agree that no steps should be taken when entering a booth rental without a contract, signed by both parties. its just like renting a workspace, this person is your landlord, and you are the tenant. sounds like a very unprofessional person anyway, good to find out now rather than years from now.