Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > I am so ready to give up this industry!!!
Posted By:
Posted By:ssshaffstall on: 7/10/2011 2:26:15 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: I am so ready to give up this industry!!!
ssshaffstall

I am so ready to give up this industry!!!
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 2:26:15 PM
I have been out of school for almost 5 yrs.  I worked at Smart style for 6 months and then tried to open my own business which did not work out.  So i had a job offer for something totally different and I took it for 1 1/2 yr. Now that job has ended(no grant funding) and my hubby lost his job.  We were fortunate to be able to find jobs relatively soon but I waited for a yr to go back to work.  We are in a new town and a new salon.  We have gone through 2 stylist.  I need help.  I have basic experience but need lots of help.  The first stylist was a veteran in the business of 32yrs but was very relectuant to teach me anything or share any information with me. The second person was so ignorant and all he would say is that "he was a professional and he doesn't make mistakes". The owner of the salon is a licensed cosmetologist but has not done anything in the business for 20 yrs and is no help.  They are great ppl but I think there is a major cultural difference and language barrier.  I have made so may mistakes and have given money back more then once.  I have had color disaster when the client looked like a spotted cheatta, another client hair did not turn out the way it should have but we fixed it,  then she came back to go lighter and her hair broke off.  She was a repeat client.  I have lost my confidence and feel like I have even lost my basics.  Someting as simple as a layered hair cut really shakes me now.  I am ruining my reputation and the salons.  We are a military town and I do and have cut mens hair but not hi and tights or zero fades.  I have asked my boss to have someone come in to train and she has said that it is up to me to find training.  I cannot afford to pay for that myself.  And they are so desperate for another stylist they just hired someone who I know will be a major problem for the salon.  I am just ready to cry, scream and throw in the towel but I cannot afford to quit. I am lost and I feel trapped and hopeless. What should I do?

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 5:40:41 PM
at least you are realistic about what you need, you really owe it to yourself to further your education. so far, you haven't had any advanced technical training, and that is crucial. invest in your sucess and your future by getting as much education as you can. i understand that classes cost money, but there are so many resources on the internet for you to explore for free. get a couple mannequins and practice at home along with tutorials on hairbrained.tv, vivian mackinder, btc,etc. even if you pay a small fee for some of the dvds, you will be helping yourself learn on your own time, on a manni, where there is no pressure. it's a real shame that none of your coworkers are willing to mentor you, but if you love hair, learn how to do it well by whatever means possible. maybe there is another salon with a better attitude towards education? at any rate, the effort will need to come from you to get the skills you need to be confident. best of luck to you, hang in there.

ssshaffstall

Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 9:57:47 PM
Thanks for you

ssshaffstall

Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 10:06:35 PM
@pixanne Thanks for the encouragement.  I found some dvd's on ebay and I am waiting for them to come in as we speak.  I have  4 mani heads and I am anxious to start learning again.  I am trying to think of a way to approach my employer concerning education.  I do know that we carry matrix and they do offer free in salon education.  I am tring to get the information from our local Armstrong Mc call.  I think the worst part for me is that I know I have alot of potential and love the business but I hate not being 100% at what I do.  I hate the feeling of incompetence.  So I am hoping these dvd's will help and I will look at that website you suggested.  I have been trying to find things on youtube also.  Thanks for your response.