Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > over worked as assistant?
Posted By:
Posted By:ohitsbritt850 on: 7/25/2011 5:31:52 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: over worked as assistant?
ohitsbritt850

assistant over worked?
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 5:31:52 PM
I just started assisting at a small hair restoration salon that has been there 20+ years, I am fresh out of cosmetology school and this is my first job in the salon, I am assisting the stylist/OWNER sometimes she has me do pretty much the whole service.. cut and applying color, I am only making 9$ and maybe 20-30 bucks in tips a week.. I would love any feed back on whether I am being over worked as an assistant and should find a new job. I would love some feedback from other assistants or salon owners!

Humberto
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:42:59 AM

You have a fanatstic opportunity, stay learn and improve your skills.  You will need to gain a couple of years of experience.  You are being paid a wage and earn tips, you are way ahead of most starting stylist.

heatherdazy
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:30:48 PM
That's the kind of assisting gig I was lucky enough to start out with. If you aren't happy there, by all means, quit now so someone who will value the training can take advantage of the opportunity.

GreenRoomBoston

you have a sweet deal
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 8:33:25 AM
You're learning and making some cash. Be glad you're doing actual hair work daily as an assistant.

I'm with heatherdazy - I worked my ass off as an assistant, then as a personal assistant. Ever had to return tampons or describe your bosses stomach issues to a pharmacist? Was it unfun and sometimes downright awful? Yup. I learned a skill set (note that could include not verbally flaying difficult people . . . ) that I didn't find anywhere else.

Get with the program.