Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > I don't seem to be able to please my boss
Posted By:
Posted By:Curl-upndye on: 8/14/2011 3:35:40 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: I don't seem to be able to please my boss
Curl-upndye

I don't seem to be able to please my boss
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 3:35:40 PM

I'm about 16 months into a stylist position at a privately owned salon.  I'm proud to say that this is one of the best salons in town.  A few months ago I was given a key and the responsibilities of being able to open and close the register.  I'm also a mentor to a hairdresser that has had some difficulties working the register, having professional phone skills, and issues with haircolor.  I come to work 30-60 minutes early and usually stay 30 min - 2 hours after my shift ends.  My dream is to manage my own salon after the business opens location #2.  Recently though, I've been so discouraged through the mentoring process.  I've been told by the owner to work with this other stylist closely on her issues.  I have a very short time to get her up to speed as we are entering the holiday season and I have been told it will be my fault if she doesn't learn everything she needs to know. I should also mention this stylist has a learning disability which makes the process alot slower.  This past week I feel like I took every moment of downtime to work with this stylist.  As a result I got a little behind in some of my own work like practicing on a mannequin head some cuts and styles our senior stylist wanted the staff to work on.  This past Saturday was our morning keyholders' meeting.  Well to make a long story short I got layed into about my mannequin looking like an old lady and how my boss is now afraid to put people in my chair now.  I know I should have asked for help with mentoring this stylist so I could get some time in to work on my own skills.  Don't get me wrong, my boss is tough and highly demanding but also very generous with education.  I was told in this meeting that I guess I felt like I was too good to practice and it was a waste of my time.  That if I really cared about my job I would spend more time out of work doing things to practice.  I now feel  horribly guilty if I don't work on mannequins and watch educational dvds on my days off.  I love learning, but sometimes I do need time away from doing hair.  I was also told specifically if this stylist didn't get training properly it would be my fault if she failed.  In prior weeks if she made a mistake on the register, it was because I wasn't spending enough time with her.  I know the burden of responsibility rests on me, but lately I feel as if I can't please my boss.  Everytime I try to be the hyperorganized and "I got everything under control" business person, I feel like I am failing at every turn.  Maybe I am not management material and I should just be a worker bee.  After that meeting I was just so depressed and cried all day.  My boss is awesome in so many ways, but when she is displeased with me it's a kick in the guts.  I don't know what the secret is.  Whatever I'm doing is obviously not working.  I guess I need to put in more hours.  She and the senior stylist make it look so easy to be perfect.         

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:08:01 PM
what matters most is your satisfaction with where your career is going.if you could elaborate on what the issues are, maybe there will be some more useful advice.

Curl-upndye

Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:15:55 PM

Sorry just edited it.  Accidently posted before adding content.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 5:15:49 PM
why is the stylist with learning disabilities your responsibility?i think the key here is to speak up for yourself, and not allow yourself to be browbeaten by your boss. when they said that you must think your too good to practice, did you say that you are too busy with your trainee to concentrate on the things that you'd rather be doing? i feel like they will abuse you until you make it stop by standing up for yourself.really think about whether you want to be a great stylist or a great manager. it's hard to be both, as they both require all of your energy.i hope you are getting compensated for the non stylist work you do, because it's things the boss should be doing..don't let yourself get used and abused.

Curl-upndye

Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 6:24:02 PM
Well let me clarify a bit about how the salon is structured.  Yes there is the boss, but there are more experienced stylists with the company who are keyholders.  Keyholders are supposed to mentor less experienced stylists and share their knowledge.  I should add that though we are not directly paid for this, we are compensated in other ways.  My boss pays for our education, mannequin heads, all marketing materials, business cards, etc and is in almost every business networking group in our area.  She pays for my membership in a weekly networking group I attend.  This is pretty much unheard of in most salons where stylists are completely on their own.  The only thing we pay for is our own tools.  I said she is tough but generous.  She is not a stylist and cannot train someone in color.  She is hyperorganized and a super savvy business woman.  I just feel flustered lately.  It's my dream to be a great business owner and a great stylist.  I just don't know what the secret is to being great behind the chair and managing people.  I know it's not easy to run a business to success.  Look at the majority of mediocre or terrible salons out there.  They are probably breaking even at best.  I'm at a time in my life I want to get married and have kids too.  I'm worried to follow my dream I have to keep family second, though I know other women have successfully had both.  I'm worried that if I can't do both I have to watch in envy while someone else does.  I guess I'm just looking for advice from someone who has been in a kind of middle management position where they have responsibilities to people above and below them.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 10:47:11 PM
i have, and the anxiety of giving my all and having not be good enough made me decide to concentrate on my hairdressing skills instead of management. i am not cut out for it, i am better when i can devote my energy to what i really love- hair. only you know the answers to your path in this career, i hope you work it out.