Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Advice-Horrible experience in my first salon
Posted By:
Posted By:rere on: 12/3/2011 4:33:59 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Advice-Horrible experience in my first salon
rere

Advice-Horrible experience in my first salon
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2011 4:33:59 PM
Hi everyone! Right out of Cosmetology school i went into booth renting and a high end salon doing hair and boy was it a horrible experience! The salon owner promised me every walk in and anyone who called and needed a service, not to mention i was the only person in the salon who offered waxing.

Well the first few weeks in the salon went great and as time went on the walk in clients weren't coming! So i began to sit in the lobby and see where they were all going. Come to find out the owner was having the reception lady send them all up stairs to her and she was sending them to her daughter who had lost a lot of her clients because she has a horrible work ethic.

I graduated with only 1200 hour meaning that i had to apprentice under the owner. Well I couldn't make any money to be able to go do my testing because i have two children at home to take care of! So needless to say, I left hair alone. And I am now wanting to go back!!! But i don't know what to do or how to go about it and my former teachers have been NO HELP! So someone PLEASE PLEASE give me some insight!!

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2011 5:54:23 PM
so you were an apprentice, and you were booth rental working behind the chair? contact the state board rather than your former instructors to find out what your next step should be. that was not an apprenticeship.

rere

Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2011 6:27:44 PM
yes I had a temporary license. it was a horrible experience!!! I plan on contacting state board Monday morning to find out what can be done and if i have to go back to school.

gd
Gold Member

Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 1:00:12 PM
Some states require that a new stylist must work under a master stylist for 1 year after they graduate, some call this an apprenticeship period. I do agree that you should contact your state board to see where you stand. If you really want to get into our business, find a salon that is really willing to mentor you, although this is hard to find anymore. When you do find a salon that is willing, you should expect to work long hours for very little money for the first few years.