Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Can you stand on your feet all day without clasping?
Posted By:
Posted By:HairNews1 on: 12/7/2011 2:02:44 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Can you stand on your feet all day without clasping?
HairNews1

Can you stand on your feet all day without clasping?
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 2:02:44 PM
Do you work in a salon where you are not allowed to sit down to rest some within a 7 to 8 hour shift? If so, then how do you feel about that issue? Non stop like a machine...Chop shop corporate productivity is all that matters here. Take a number please! The mentality of it seems pointless right or is it just my imagination? In this day of our economy with people living in a microwave society mentality it seems so cold to treat human beings like cattle. Head em up and move em out! I don't like it as a hair stylist what so ever. But the cooperate rules follow, do they not? Would like some input on this thread if anyone else is experiencing this with me. To stand or not to stand all the day long. For that is the question.
Do your very Best!

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 7:20:42 PM
been doing it for 30 years, although i do get a lunch break.get good shoes, and use a mat under the chair to stand on.

HairNews1

Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 8:26:43 AM
Thank you Pixanne for your reply
Yes I do have good shoes for this type of job. There are no mats at this shop. They do not allow it. wearing tight support pantyhose as well. Guess I need to invent some shoes with built in mat inside the sole of the shoes! That might do the trick! LOL! In a way this will be a great way to lose some extra weight for me. So in a about three months I will be a walking stick before long. No time for a lunch break here! So I just eat something healthy before I go in for combat! :0
Do your very Best!

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 9:33:42 AM
there are definitely labor laws about having a lunch break, i don't expect a half hour, but a 15 minute window is all i need, and i bring it from home. sometimes it is just a banana while i mix color or a meal bar while the assistant is shampooing my client. i work hard, and being treated like a human being is something i require.

FromYourHairstylist

Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 8:18:53 PM
it sounds like you work at a chain like great clips or something.

at my salon (privately owned, high end), some days i literally work 12 hours (8am to 8pm) without sitting down. not because i HAVE to, but because i'm booked all day! yes its doable. i eat when i get 5 minutes, then back to work.

but my boss never says we can't take a lunch break or sit, but she doesnt want people sitting in the break room all day either. she wants you on the floor & busy...if you're not servicing a client, you should be cleaning, helping other stylists.
http://fromyourhairstylist.blogspot.com

HairNews1

Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 3:54:22 AM
Thank you for your reply's pixanne and FromYourHairstylist....Yes pixanne their are labor laws and believe me I know the labor laws-Yes being treated like a human being is just that! More like treated with respect in my book! As for FromYourHairstylist...What is a Great clips? I work for a cooperate salon...Would rather not say who it is for it is not important to me. The main topic is the question at hand. Yes I do understand your hard work and booth rent is a different world than working for a major cooperation company. You are your own Boss in different to my situation. I do admire that as being your own boss. You work hard as well as I do. Just different circumstances at hand. Let's put it this way, the economy is bad all over this country. Depends where you live as well. Clientele with the big bucks to spend, for that is the concept of renting your own booth space to be your own Boss. I tip my hat off to you and wish you the very best! Then the commission hairstylist is the next step....then the bus stops here with a chain cooperation. I understand it all believe you me! Just trying to survive with what the hand has delt me....I have been doing hair for many years and I am not some young hottie out of hair school...Just a professional hair stylist who has wisdom more so than others when it comes to giving the whole package deal as to the client! I am a perfectionist, I do have the passion for hair and treat the client with great respect...as well as to get along with the other stylists I work with. This is my job and I have to be grateful for what I do have. If I did have a way to change things with my knowledge of what I do know and lots of major cash flow to buy my own line of choice of salon products and back bar products and my own choice of color line....I would be booth renting at a luxurious professional salon at a busy location. But I do not have that luxury at the moment. Until then I am going to keep on working hard and you just never know what might be around the corner....Right?
You have to remember this: If you are working at a high end private salon then you are your own boss, you call the shots! You rent from the salon owner so that makes her your land lord....
Do your very Best!
Do your very Best!