Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > what should i do???
Posted By:
Posted By:LTC15 on: 12/14/2011 7:17:18 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: what should i do???
LTC15

what should i do???
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:17:18 AM
I've been working in salons for the past five years as a assistant/jr stylist. I've been at three different salons and they all promised me the same thing i would become a hairdresser and move up but because of the economy that didnt happen and i would move to another salon.So now im at another salon and im a assistant /jr stylist but i fell like im justin the same place i was 5 years ago. I dont kno what i should do because i wanna be out on the floor but i dont have a following. i've been on a lot of interviews and every salon wants a following or they want me to start at the bottom as a assitant. I dont know what to do??? cause i feel like im never gonna be on the floor and have my own clients

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:28:32 AM
you need to prove yourself in order to move up in the ranks, the person responsible for promoting you wants to see passion, and see that you are picking up all that is being taught to you,plus you own initiative to bring clients in.they are actually spending more on you now than they would as a stylist, when you would go to commission,so if they don't see that fire in you to move up, you won't move up.if you are happy with the environment of the current salon, you gotta work it, get people in the door, prove that you are ready.

FromYourHairstylist

Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 8:16:18 PM
building a clientele takes time. you can't bounce around & expect a full book to be handed to you.

if you're passionate & go the extra mile, your boss will notice. they want to see you improving your skills & yourself so that you will be an excellent stylist.

you need patience & discipline. go out there & promote yourself. get your current clients/models/family/friends to refer you new clients.

but it takes time, it doesn't happen over night. it takes a few years to get a completely packed full book. you need patience & dedication. bouncing around salons won't do you any favors.
http://fromyourhairstylist.blogspot.com