Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > should i stay?
Posted By:
Posted By:LTC15 on: 1/18/2012 10:07:31 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: should i stay?
LTC15

should i stay?
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:07:31 AM
I've been an assistant/jr stylist for 5 years.I was just layed off by a salon that i was a jr stylist and trying to build up a clientele because they were to slow. So i luckily i found another salon  i am working at. i was originally hired as a jr stylist but thats not the case im actually a assistant and when they feel they want me to be a jr stylist they ask me to do a client. i dont get any comission from doin a client. I dont mind shampooing hair as long as im learning and eventually going to have a chair. I feel a little like im being taken advantage by this place i make $60 a day and thats for a ten and a half hour day or longer sometimes.  Im a hard worker and i dont mind working hard as long as im making decent money. They just hired another assitant/jr stylist that they also told shes a jr stylist but thats not the case with her either. theres  6 assistants workin now so im not really makin a good amount of tips for the day.The owners here arent hairdressers so i feel like they dont really know what a jr stylist means compared to a assitant. They offer classes through goldwell so ive been taking all the classes i can. I just feel like im not goin anywhere. I understand it takes time to build up a clientele but i feel like im ready and have put in a lot of time and hard work to be atleast a jr stylist. Should i look for another salon? Im really confused i just dont want to waste another 5 years just shampooing.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:47:43 PM
maybe you need to voice your concerns to your employer, it sounds like a misunderstanding of the title jr stylist. if you are a junior stylist, you should have a chair,and be a commissioned employee. you wouldn't be shampooing or assisting unless it is absolutely necessary, just as any stylist would help out if need be. when our apprentices move up to jr stylist, we do not expect them to assist any more, they are treated as a stylist. after 5 years, you really should be behind the chair, you may need to show some initiative to get an employer to see you are motivated to grow. self promotion and bringing in clients for yourself will guarantee that you won't be assisting. good luck!