Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > dont know what else to do???
Posted By:
Posted By:LTC15 on: 1/23/2012 5:32:52 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: dont know what else to do???
LTC15

dont know what else to do???
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 5:32:52 PM
Ive been working as a assistant/jr stylist  in salons for almost 5 years.Ive taken classes and have shadowed alot of stylists. Im really dedicated and willing to learn whatever i can. I feel like im ready to have my own chair but still need/want to learn more. Every salon i have worked at i was working my way up to have a chair but because of the economy it never happend. My last job i was a jr stylist and would do walkin ins and ive brought people  in to do haircuts and color on. I was laid off because they were to slow because there was only 2 hairdressers there. So now im working at another salon that i was hired as a assistant/jr stylist but the owners of the salon arent hairdressers and dont care if i move up as long as im shampooing hair,cleaning and doing the laundry. Ive gone around to alot of salons with my resume and have talked to the owners but no one wants you unless you have a following.I dont know what else I can do? What should/could i do to find a salon that will give me a chance??? Thanks

Remy Blue
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:36:42 PM
My question to you is, where is your clientele? You cannot continue to rely on walk-ins in a salon. If you are/were a jr stylist, where are the clients that you serviced? Even if the only thing you did was shampoo, then when that client returns they should be requesting a shampoo from you. It's probably not your styling ability, but rather your ability to obtain and retain clients that is in question by potential employers.

FromYourHairstylist

Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 9:04:23 AM
Remy nailed it on the head. You need to work on your client retention/prebooking if you ever want to stay busy. Walk-in clients should only be a cushion.  For every NEW client you see they need to 1. prebook their next appointment before they leave the salon & 2. have some cards so they can refer friends/family/co-workers.  Those 2 think will build your business faster than anything the salon can do for you.  Prebooking clients means you have future income already established....referals means you are seeing new clients you can then prebook & repeat the cycle. 
http://fromyourhairstylist.blogspot.com

ereriggs

Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:48:51 AM

Hello beautiful people!

Please check out my brand new ebook Standing Behind the Chair that is now available on amazon and apple iBooks. I hope it motivates and re- inspires you to keep pushing through this amazing industry!

Thanx <3  E.Riggs