Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Full book, empty pockets
Posted By:
Posted By:Stylemekareee on: 1/24/2012 10:08:48 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Full book, empty pockets
Stylemekareee

Full book, empty pockets
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:08:48 PM
I work for a large corporate salon. Ive been in the business 7 years and I work with all hair and hair types. I work 3 days a week, my book is always full, I always come in early and leave extra late. My customers are happy and always re book. I even freelance (photo shoots fashion shows) on the side.
And im suffering. Big time. What am I doing wrong?
Let me explain. I work in a salon where I am the only one who does many things. I do ethnic hair and extensions and braids. That is surely not all i do! I also do cuts and colors and color correction and men and children and anything you would put in my chair. My book is full of mostly wash and styles. they book every week or every 2 weeks like clock work and are always fighting over appointments. They keep me so full I cant even take the new customers. Id love to build my chemical book, but i simply have no room for them. most take an hour to style and price ranges between 35 and 45 each. they don't want extra, they don't want to be up sold any add on's, never buy products and either tip low, or not at all. I am just so sad to always be the first one in, last one out, severely overbooked, not even eating most days, and i walk out with the smaller pay check and less tips in my hand then every other girl there. Ive been hear about a year, I do like the company and this is so far the highest paying salon job Ive had. My checks are about $400 every 2 weeks. not even $1000 a month. Tips maybe 100 a week. on a good week. I referred a friend with very little following to another location. shes been there a few months less then me, works about the same about of hours spread over 5 days and she told me she makes about $800-$1200 every 2 weeks and about $100 a day in tips. From the company reports i know for a fact our newer better located salon grosses more then hers does. So its not a matter of traffic. I wanted to cry when i heard that. Ive never had an $800 check in my entire working life! I just don't know what to do. Adding more then maybe one extra day is not an option for my life right now so please don't suggest that. I'm seriously thinking about finding some other kind of employment because I really cant make ends meet anymore. Any advice is very appreciated. I'm just so sick of the salon now I really with this freelance would pick up so I could just leave it all behind. And non salon salaried hairstylist jobs anyone could suggest would be a great help as well! Thank you all in advance :-)

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:18:08 PM
do you think your clients would follow you if you went to a salon that paid commission, or where you could rent?another thought is only booking wash and sets once a week, and keep the other days for chemical services. or refer those wash and sets to another in the salon.the old cliche` is work smarter not harder,and this is true. you need to take control of your career and make it work for you. whether that means you move to a new environment or adjust your book, it's up to you, you are not powerless.you have talent and are in demand-use it to your advantage!

Stylemekareee

Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:27:45 PM
I do work for commission and this is not my first salon job. I started off at a private, moved to a corporate, left there for private, and now again at corporate. I have some who have been with me the whole ride! Yes they will follow! Also booth rental is illegal in my state. Being at cooperate im not too sure that id be able to refuse types of customers on certain days and being the only one who does ethic hair, I couldn't refer them to anyone else in my salon :-(

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:22:06 AM
i would go to a private salon and specialize in chemical processes. there is money to be made, you need to put yourself and your needs first. maybe in a private salon setting you can call the shots a bit more, possibly add an assistant to do most of the bread and butter stuff. if you have talent for specialty services, get what's yours. corporate salons in my opinion are not a good place to grow as a stylist, and most of what you make goes into their pocket instead of yours. its a grind. i hope you find a place that will support you more.

Remy Blue
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:23:20 PM
If your book is mostly full of wash/styles then you've answered you own question. You make less per hour doing that than you would doing chemical services. Raise your prices for that service. 1)It will put more money in your check. 2)It will make up the difference from your slow retail sales and 3)It will cause some of your cheaper clients to go elsewhere, and free up some time for new clients who are willing to pay/tip

Stylemekareee

Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:49:24 PM
Thank you so much. I just got a promotion so my prices and commission have just gone up. I'm hoping this will get more the a few to leave. I spoke with my manager and shes thinking of bringing an assistant on for me to train and pass off some customers to to help free up my book for some new ones. How can I help my customers to make a smooth transition over to the assistant?

Remy Blue
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 12:00:30 AM
Transitioning a client is somewhat easy... Start off with the assistant donig basic tasks like draping the client, rinsing conditioner just to get the client familiar. On the next visit, the client should be prepped and shampoo'd by the assistant. Molding/setting the hair can also be done by the assistant on the 2nd visit; but you should still do any blowdrying and finishing. On the 3rd-4th visit you should be so over-booked/running late that you are just gonna have the assistant finish caring for the client whom should already be familiar with the assistant aka her new stylist. That's just what has worked 4 me in the past.
Have him/her shampoo your hair 1st before they work on your clients. Clients can be lost/gained @ the shampoo bowl. And train your assistant on a few of your techniques.

Congratulations on your promotion!!!!!