Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Haircolor > 100 volume peroxide, does it exist?
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:29:55 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: 100 volume peroxide, does it exist?
belynda

Posted: Friday, May 25, 2001 7:42:00 PM
We use Wella kolestan colorperfect in our salon, and a client came in with a haircolor formula from her previous stylist that says to use 100 volume peroxide... Does anyone know anything about this? By the way she is a level 5 and her hair is now white.

Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2001 12:02:00 AM
Are you sure it's not 10 volume

belynda

Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2001 6:43:00 PM
no, it is 100 volume peroxide, i know it sounds nuts but i have the formula and its 100 volume, thats diluted some, shes a level 4 and wants to be white. i wouldn't of believed it either if i didn't have the formula.

~Kit~

Posted: Monday, May 28, 2001 6:01:00 AM
100 volume peroxide is known as wig peroxide. It is not meant to go on the scalp. Just because someone hands you a formula, does not mean you have to use it. Re formulate her! She needs to be a double process. Whatever her hairdresser did before is not your problem, you can do major damage with 100 volume.

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2001 7:33:00 AM
Belynda, I completely agree with Kit. You could get yourself in a lot of trouble here. Remember anyone can sue you. Watch your back. Another point is: if the client was leaving her previous stylist, and they had a complex, they might have given you a bogus formula. Oh, scandalous!

Pearl

Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2001 9:52:00 PM
I used to purchase 120 volume developer several years ago. The purpose for this was to dilute it down to a 60,40, or 20 volume with distilled water. It worked great for never running out of developer but one time our bottle leaked in our cabinet, when I removed the bottle most of the wood splintered and created a bowl looking effect on the counter. Scary!! I remember too that when I was finished cleaning the mess my hands did not hurt but the bones in my fingers ached for days. I have to agree it is not a safe thing to do. I know of someone who used to use it in regular color but in very small amounts. It was used so that they could say they used those high volumes, you know, more for impressing the client. It became too confusing on how much to use and remember how my bones ached we decided it was not worth the risk. I would hate to think what it could do to someone's head if it stayed on the scalp too long, and your right a law suit is not worth it. Tell the client that it is not a good idea and you might call your State Board just so that you can let your client know what they think about the whole thing. Good Luck.

Mary
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, June 08, 2001 8:29:00 PM
Kolestone Perfect has it's own developer and there is no 100 volume to be used. More than likely the previous stylist took 100 volume and diluted it. (Used to be done, but not recommended now) If you want four levels of lift use Kolestone Perfect's 40 volume developer.

KP had great features and benefits and that is partly due to the developer. Using another line's developer may compromise results.

Mary

belynda

Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 7:51:00 PM
ok, thanks for the input there is 100 volume peroxide and i found it, and yes i do need to dilute it to 50 volume, thats why i was looking for it, i would never put it someones head straight, i'm not sure where people got that i was going to do that, but tahnks for the input!

sparklehair
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 7:59:00 PM
i use KP and have lifted a level4 to white using 40 vols and color expess, + heat that is 45 minutes no heat and 10 with heat at the end.

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2001 10:15:00 AM
I actually just saw an article in Modern Salon magazine where the guy used 100 vol. peroxide on the model's hair. You should look it up, it was an interesting idea.

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, August 13, 2001 8:24:00 PM
Are you trying to fry this clients hair . It's not about what it looks like . It's about the health of the clients hair.

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, August 17, 2001 8:31:00 PM
Actually, it doesn't fry the client's hair, as you stated. There are several reasons for using 100v peroxide. First, it's great to buy large sizes of this because you can dilute it yourself and save money. I dilute it to 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 60 volumes. Of course, I never apply anything above 40 on the scalp. But the 100 is good for baliage, it only has to be left on a few minutes. It's also good for highlighting directly over hair with color on it.

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, August 17, 2001 8:34:00 PM
KP also has awesome high lift blondes. They come out beautifully, without double processing.

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 7:26:00 PM
You should never user 40 vol. directly on the scalp. Maybe it would be great to take some color classes from several manufacturers and get your color science downpat. 40 vol can burn up a scalp and I have never had reason to use it cuz your scalp carries a lot of heat. Don't be in such a hurry to get the job done; clients appreciate expertise not a marathon stylist. Ialso feel manufacturers suggested guidelines are for your benefit as a stylist; they do the testing we don't. To get desired results from your selected color M.G.s and their education are key. I want the best way to do something not the fastest. I don't care if it's over 3 appts. or 1.

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 5:02:00 AM
40 vol. is very safe to use on the scalp!!!!

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, August 31, 2001 3:47:00 PM
40 vol. is safe to use on the scalp, and most manufacturers agree. It actually says to on the color swatch book. Especially to use with the high lift blondes.

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, September 07, 2001 7:51:00 PM
I am an in salon color educater and have been for 9 years and i have probably seen the dispenery of at least 200 salons nationwide and i know of a lot of salons using above 40 volume however i like to think i am a more experienced colorist and a wiser one for not nneding to use somthing so stupid as 100 or more volume all it does is fry it FAST!and i am not about fried hair.

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2001 10:57:00 AM
You may be a more experienced colorist, but I did see an article of an experienced and famous colorist using 100 volume peroxide and the technique was very new. I tried the technique and loved the end result, and the hair was not fried. The product with the 100v was only left on for a few minutes, and was not placed on the scalp. Perhaps we should try things for ourselves before we decide whether or not it's "stupid".

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2001 2:38:00 PM
Heres my thoughts. More power in less time vs. less power in more time results in pretty nearly the same condition. I like to work fast and wouldn't be afraid of high volume peroxides. I know perfectly well how not to over-process. A product like this would be in capable hands.

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2001 5:27:00 PM
Yes, it should only be in capable hands.

Hope

Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2001 9:19:00 PM
please every just try to getalong i am a framesi tech and you can use 40 on scalp and yes ther is 100 and it would work very quick . i think the quicker the more damage myself

sonofacarrie

Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2001 10:03:00 PM
I thought the rule was never use 40 vol /bleach on the scalp, not 40 vol and color. I have heard of 100 volume from the owners of my salon and they told me it was something that was done years ago. Personally i would rather have my color come up slower that way I have plenty of time to do another client in between that processing without having to stop and rinse a color/highlight.

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2001 4:29:00 PM
get this! When I worked at Jose Eber Salon we used 130 Vol. yep 130 volume. We got this straight from paris. I know because I did inventory control. We never used it on the scalp. It was meant to do balayage hi lights. Ten mins on the hair & voila! perfect hi lights at $130 dollars.

Frank Peterson

Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2001 6:07:00 PM
I firmly suggest that you don't use 100 volume peroxide when lifting color. The process will be faster (lift will be 5 times faster than 20 volume), but the potential legal exposure won't be worth the time saved. When clients decide to sue for unsatisfactory or harmful services, they don't just sue the stylist. Stylists have limited assets, whereas product manufacturers have "deep pockets" in the eyes of an attorney. If you have followed the manufacturer's directions and procedures, your liability is greatly lessened, and the manufacturer will often assist in your mutual legal defense. To violate a manufacturer's directions regarding a product, however, renders the manufacturer harmless and the stylist solely liable. In fact, the manufacturer often becomes an uinintended ally of the plantiff in such a suit. It's the same as if a physician misused or misprescribed a drug. Please be aware of the problems that can result when playing "kitchen chemist."

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2002 10:00:00 PM
I would like to know where to buy the 100 peroxide. It sounds like great fun to baliage with. What would one mix it with for the baliage? (bleach?)

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 2:01:00 PM
Honey sweety darling girlfriend lets talk. Have you ever used a Barbeque before, if you have and I am sure you have, Question
what happens when you put raw meat onthe grill? Thats what will happen to the scalp when you put the 100v. developer on the scalp. However even if you put the hair in foil even then by the time your up to the third foil if your lucky the hair will melt Hasta la vista hair get the message girl don't do it you kill the hair and your self too.

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 11:42:00 PM
Not this argument again. Contact your manufacturer. I get 100v. through my distributor. Keep in mind that it sometimes can be a little hard to find. I use it for baliage over color, and it of course is not applied too close to the scalp. I apply it to select strands right before the color get shampood out, so it really only stays on for 3-5 minutes. No, not everyone should use it. No, it should not be applied to the scalp. Yes, it has the potential to be dangerous. But it can also be a safe and fast alternative when just applying a few highlights to select strands.

Doug

Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 8:17:00 AM
Renbow makes a hydrometer that allows you to exactly measure and break down to any volume you want. I use 130 and break it down to max 70 vol. I would not use any higher than 70.

newstylist

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 12:23:00 PM
100 volume peroxide should only be used for a hydrometer so that you can dilute the amount and measure until you reach the desired amount of peroxide.

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 7:21:00 PM
Wow! There were many excellent points of view expressed on this topic. One that may have been over looked however is the experience level of each colorist. Once you master a H/L technique that gets you to the desired endpoint ie:level...and this technique maintains the integrity of the hair then it is a valid technique to use. However...the bigger the gun (the higher volume of peroxide) the less room for error. Therefore judge your ability to use this product or any other fast acting product accordingly. I suggest always being more conservative at first, especially if you have not been mentored, or educated by a more experienced colorist. Progressive, but safe :)

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 7:11:00 PM
This discussion shows that there varying ideas out there regarding 100 vol peroxide and it's use and uses...
It seems to break down into 2 camps, the older who have been diluting it for different uses since they were taught that skill in beauty school, and the younger, who presumably haven't learned that skill, and seem to believe that all peroxide begins life in clearly marked bottles of varying strength,and is found under a mulberry bush...

As to damage, the level of damage is inversely proportionate to the amount of lift, not to the speed.

Don't believe anything that you read anywhere, even this, rather try it out for yourself and decide for yourself...I guarantee you'll have some fun, and wasn't that the whole point of the beauty trade? It's really not rocket science is it, just some chemistry?

Pasqualy

Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 3:24:00 PM
when you dilute the 100 vol. perox. using the hydrometer, don't use tap water, because of the chemicals in the water, iron, sulphor,etc. You want to use only DISTILLED WATER.

colortakestime

Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 4:53:00 PM
using peroxide more than 50 or 60 volume...which can be purchased in a pre-mixed stabilized formula by Tocco Magico or Dikson hair color, (ONLY), is the ONLY way to go....unless you want a beautiful "chemical cut"....it's a time bomb waiting to go off....quality...more processes like other's have said...not "as fast and as much as possible in the smallest amount of time"...peace

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 5:26:00 AM
im a student and ive never even heard of 100 volume developer and baliage before please explain what baliage is?

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 9:43:00 AM
Anonymous...100 volume peroxide certainly exists, but it isn't available in all parts of the country. It can be found in New York at certain Beauty supply houses, but it's very volatile and dangerous to ship and the post office and UPS won't do it.
As a student you need not concern yourself with it, it's just for mixing up or diluting down to make your own strengths in the salon.

PRISMATIC
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 7:57:00 AM
Hi Belinda. Hum, 100 vol peroxide in wella products ? That sounds malitious to me . I work exclusively w/ KP and they never ever used 100 vol in any of their formulations. (talk about hi lift blonde, she's gonna take off).First you should treat her as a new client , all yours . It is a good thing that she brought in the previous formula , but it is your call now.Let her know about your unique approach and take from there , leave your signature on her head.Consult, see where she wants to go and than voila.Happy client and stylist. Good luck.

xDandelionSunshinex

Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 10:26:28 PM

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 11:49:35 PM

Dandelion, you are absolutely incorrect. Every hairstylist should have some 100 volume developer in their dispensary. It's very useful to give a little more punch to any formula. Your suggestion that even when diluted it's not acceptable is ridiculous, that's exactly what it's for. It has nothing to do with 'quicker' or frying hair, it's just a good tool. Perhaps you are afraid of it and feel better if you simply dismiss it as 'bad'?

Your attitude is pompous and silly.

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 4:18:08 AM
I've never seen anything over 40v. for sale at the companies I use. Where do you get 100v. brit? I'd like to have some.

xDandelionSunshinex

Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 7:13:28 AM

xDandelionSunshinex

Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 7:35:50 AM

trea

Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 7:02:18 PM
what if 100 vol is illegal in your state how does one get their hands on it

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 9:41:33 PM
I feel that it is better to process hair at no more than 40v. What makes everyone think they need to get the hair processed 5-10 minutes faster. schedule in another client while your client is processing. I would rather take a few minutes of my time  waiting and checking a hair color while working on another client  apposed to spending a life time trying to explain to new clients why someone in my chair is bald now.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 10:01:55 PM

Try to bleach BLACK HAIR.  Sometimes you need higher volume for ADDED lift, NOT faster lift.

Besides, what makes anyone think that posting anonymously makes them sound credible?

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 4:26:58 AM
I'm with Hotlocks- I'd like to have access to 100v. I know hat sometimes I'd something stronger than 40%. I still don't know who carries 100v.

Andreniz

Andreniz
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:50:36 PM
130 volume peroxide may be purchased directly from the manufacturer. The minimum order is $100.00. 130 volume peroxide is not illegal in any of the 50 states. The manufacturer of the peroxide is Tu-K Labs. 562-297-3365. We should agree to not post facts we are not certain of. There are enough ol wives tales out there. I have been diluting 130 volume peroxide to make 20 volume peroxide for my entire career. It brings the cost of your peroxide to 5 cents per application.

bunnyrbbt

Whoa
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 10:37:09 AM

this conversation's been going on for almost four years.  I'm sure that the client that was the basis for this discussion has since had her hair done, and I hope it all went well.

I personally have never heard of 100v or 130v developer, and the thought scares me a bit.  The story of the stylists whose bones hurt...scarey, and I would be inclined to believe it, only cuz it's a strong chemical we work with.  Whereas it does sound intriguing, and fun, and maybe even a little cost efficiant, I'd have to agree with the skeptics too.  To me it sounds dangerous in the hands of someone "new" to using it.  I personally would be terrified to use it on an actual person.

doris
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 3:30:56 PM

Man, I would for sure do some testing on a mannequin head before I ever used anything like a 100vol or 130 vol.

I am sure that maybe for black hair, it might provide some extra lift needed, but I still would want to test before I used it on an actual client.

Who has had experience with it?

I would like to hear some  other stories of how it has been used and how it turned out.

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 3:41:13 PM
Look in the archives, look for developers and peroxides and find the poster known as Britboy. Read his posts-very informative.  Hairdressers used to have to dilute/cut the strength ourselves with distilled water. But now the manufacterers like to make their own to sell with the color.

mcoupland
Gold Member

100 vol
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 2:33:29 PM

Just my 2 cents worth.

I have found with most of my clients. Rushing makes them unhappy. My clients look for quality time with there service. It is there time to get pampered. I have used some other wella products that I have had no problem lifting to white blond and never needed anything over 40 and lifted in 30 min or less. My clients gladdly pay for a comfortable not rushed service. Thats one of the reasons I opened my own shop, to stop being rushed. People gladly pay extra money for guality time.

oli

Well said mcoupland
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 11:13:32 AM
It completely agree, 40vol is the highest you should use and dont rush, our customers are there to feel well and come out of your salon feeling better not rushed and certainly not with the hair fried with 100vol. hahahaha

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 3:18:22 PM

Often for many it is not a time issue on using higher volume developers- For me it's that extra needed kick to lift out of orange stages on some customers.

I do recommend that when using higher volumes to process at room temperature instead of under the dryer because it can come up faster than you can take care of it. You need to be able to control what you use or else you should not use it. On the other end of the spectrum, I also use ten volume with bleach a lot- especially when I am doing color and bleach foils at the same time.

It should depend on the problem you are trying to solve that creates your decision on developer volume instead of trying to get people out much quicker than they should be getting out. Chemical services should take as long as they need to be taken for the best results for each individual customer's satisfaction. If either the client or the stylist is in a hurry- it'll never get done right.

mcoupland
Gold Member

Alesia
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:21:08 AM
I have used several different brands of lifter. I to had issues with gold yellow. Then I tried a salon I was thinking about BR. They used Wella Blondora. I rarely have to use 30 or 40 volume unless I have 4-5 or more lift needed. I have used it with or with out heat, and have much success with getting out of that gold yellow stage. I am a 2n and can lift my hair cool blond in 10 min with 30 vol. before then I could have NEVER gotten a blond like that in my hair. It is truly knowing your product and what it can do for you, and knowing your clients hair.

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 3:21:09 PM

I've used blondor quite a bit and it doesn't lift out gold that well in my experiences with it. You definitely need to use heat and higher volumes with it. I also find that it is a dry bleach and you really have to watch it to keep it moist and activating or it gets everywhere.

The bleach I used to love until they changed the formula was Color Graphics..... what a great product that was. But that one was heat activated- so you have to process under the dryer and it was perfect for people learning to foil. It used to come up quick like in 8 minutes on most people but now the new formula takes over double the time and is not as effective. I have found that it works better with 30 vol. & up than it does with it's highest brand formulated promoter: 22vol. That was pretty much my exclusive bleach, but then I had to re-do a couple of people and I started looking around. 

I work with a person who really loves blondor, she thinks it is the greatest stuff. But I find it just o.k. It's never my first choice.

I find Paul Mitchell's powder bleach to smell nice but it swells a lot if you get it too wet and if you process with heat. The new Paul Mitchell blonding cream in the tube is really hard to squeeze out but is extremely gentle and will make nice caramel colors. I tested that one on my manikin using one foil of it with 20v. and another foil of it with 30v. To see the lifting power. It is a room temperature bleach- it says don't process under heat. I set the manikin up to process for 20 minutes but ended up not getting back to the manikin for five hours!!! I got so busy and sidetracked- I should have picked to do this control test at home or something. I was a little curious as to how bad the hair in those packets were going to be if any was left! In any case- both packets came up to a caramel color- one just a bit brighter than the other. No breakage- not pure white or tangly ratty hair. It is actually pretty. But that's how I know it is quite gentle- which would be great for newbies in training. (To the newbies: please just remember:  For the love of God DO NOT leave it on a client's head for five hours!!!! manikin hair is a little tougher than head hair even though the manikin hair is human hair.  feels like horsetail to me though......)

I like wellite powder, it's stays wet throughout the processing- even in open air processing.

I like Kaleidocolors, but it's really hard to tell if it has come up to the desired level you want. You really can't just wipe it a bit to check, you need to remove it from the strand you are checking. However once you get used to how it works- it's quite good. It has toners built into it so all you have to mix is the powder and the developer you chose.

To each his own as far as products go- This is why I hate product  and technique snobbery. Every good hairdresser will use what works for them and solves the problem at hand.  

mcoupland
Gold Member

alesia
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:33:49 AM

I have to agree with you for most of your post. But I have rarely had issues with getting the level with the blondor. But I also am confident with my color and at time will tone if needed.  But the extra info is nice to know.

May I ask where you work and what state? I notice you and hot locks are all over the threads. Lately I have been slow and have had time to read and answer when I get the notion

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:24:08 AM

I am in Massachusetts. Hotlocks is in California.

I am a BR for a few more days until I go into labor! (MAN! am I ready!)I'm ceasing my business to be a stay at home mom for an undeterminate amount of time. Life will tell me when to get back into tis business, I'm going to ride that wave!

In any case, we all have our faves and experiences with different products. Whatever they may be for each of us I still cannot stress enough that everyone should try as many as they can get their hands on. Lessons learned from different products help create great hairdressers. Confidence IS the battle.

I like to post my experiences because I think it will create for one person the desire to try what I've written about and to attain more knowledge for themselves.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:29:50 AM

Alesia let me know when you stop working. I will put a nice little on extended maternity leave on your page- but I will leave it up and take your number off in place of the note.

mcoupland.. it's me!  localstylist.

hehe (just in case you didn't know)

ok.. off to the post office to get passports- going to China in Aug for my daughter's goodwill games softball tourney!

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 2:14:29 PM

Thanks Rod

Wow! China? I'd love to go!

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 3:08:07 PM
Im gonna eat brocorri beep an chikky chow men and I'm NOT going to get my nails done there.. LOL!

mcoupland
Gold Member

hey alesia and hot locks
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 3:31:06 PM

Congrats Alesia !! bin there done that got the son and t-shirt mine is 9 going on 16....  he is my little helper here in the afternoons. My clients have no issues with him here Most of my evening clients are family people.

Hot locks I got that earlier How do you think I found your site.... hehehe  You lucky dog.... I'm going to CA for a funeral. That about covers my travels  and a beach trip in sept. to NC

OK I don't know if this is a crank call but ... I just got a call today if I will do services for a cross dressing man??? YEAH I do waxing and wigs bring the queens here PLEASE god I hope it's not a crank.

Clear your mind! You hind end will follow.

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 5:13:29 PM

Thanks McCoupland, this baby is my daughter. I got my son four years ago. They grow up too fast, don't they?

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 5:25:01 PM

I don't know, sounds like a crank.. most cross dressing men won't even give you the heads up.. they'll just come in dressed as a woman! lol

Where in CA are you going to be?

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 4:42:00 AM

Did he ask for your confidentiallity in this? If it's a private crossdresser this certainly would be the biggest issue- otherwise they'd just come in dressed like a woman and leave everyone guessing. 

Now if it's a queen on the other hand, they sashay in and everyone knows.....If you are really good with wigs then I would think that tapping THAT market would be extremely lucrative.

AnthonyFreestyle

WOW!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 5:41:28 AM
100 vol. peroxide is hair suicide. I would just lift her with an on the scalp bleach to the palest yellow I could then tone the yellow to get white. Does her hair feel like cotton candy......was the stylist crazy for useing such a high volume. even 50 or 60 is very harsh. I wouldn't take the chance. Let her sue someone else if her hair breaks off. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk....but sheesh!

hairnette

what is bilage?
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 7:43:13 AM
I have never heard of biliage.  I have been in the business 21 years what am I missing?

Hairwench

100 VOL
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 7:39:44 PM

I have yet to find 100 volume H2O2 in any Beauty supply. However, I have found 50 volume at MALY's in California. To be honest with you I haven't been brave enough to use it. Long long ago, we would use peroxide and something called welloxide tablets that we would crush up and add to the mix. I have no idea what the volume was when we used 15 or so but it was powerful stuff. I  mostly use 40 volume for foil highlights and baliage with my powder bleach.

bigrdtisa

Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 6:01:49 PM

WOW!!! what a discussion!!! this has been going for some time...

130 vol should NEVER be put on the scalp...... first and formost....

i am a colorist for a french salon... and we Balayage... there are times that i will put a "touch" of 130 in with my 40 vol to punch it up.... i have known colorists to balayge with staight 130 it does do the job... i just dont recommend going back over it for the touch-up with 130.... as for finding it ... someone has already posted that... we get it out of calif.  i also agree with the other postings.... pratice on a manikan head..... there is a salon in our city that is getting sued as i speak... ended up on the front page of the paper... really sucks for the salon... but just a good reminder of what COULD happen if you dont know what you are doing..... good luck... and education is the key....

alesia
Platinum Member

bigrdtisa,
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 6:50:46 AM

Why do you add just a touch of 130v. to 40vol.????What is a touch?

My calculations bring the halfway point between 40vol. & 130 vol. to be 85 vol. So a "touch" should bring it up to around 60-65 vol. Right? Did I figure this correctly?Am I actually doing the right math?

130 vol. is not available to my knowledge in the US, People say that they can get 100 vol. But I have never found it. Maybe my state doesn't allow it to be sold here? I'll have to check that out.

I personally want 100vol to cut down on all of the different bottles of developer taking up too much shelf space. This way I can't really run out of anything. Plus working from one bottle of developer and one gallon of distilled water definitely makes sense in quality control. You won't accidently use  weakened developer that been sitting there for a year. You won't have to order so many different bottles of developer that haides eachother on the shelf only to find yourself hunting for something you didn't realize you were out of.

bigrdtisa

aleisa
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 8:52:49 AM
ok good morning....
first of all ... i dont know the exact messurement.... i guess if you wanted to do the math it would turn out to be about 65 vol. i just pour a bit in.... 2-3 cap
it is kinda like cooking.....
also the company for the 130 is not a beauty supply
it is a chemical plant in calif.... i will get the # for you.... i am in texas and i am assuming that you can get it anywhere.... the only thing is that i think that there is a minimal order.... so you could possibly end up with a lot of 130... more then you would ever need for 1 person....

alesia
Platinum Member

good afternoon!
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 9:53:59 AM
Thanks for clarifying for me....this topic has always been interesting to me.

Frankie

Help!!!!!
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 10:29:58 AM
I know this is silly,  I can't get on the haircolor  board.  The only way I got on this is by clicking on to the last message by alesia. Is this board just filled up or is there a Trick I need to know about. Please help I'm so needing this color information.

djmcmb@yahoo.com

100vol
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 6:49:40 PM

It totally exists.  Many salons use it because it saves colorists a heap of money.  How is it used?  It comes in a gallon size and you can use only drops of it to dilute it down to 10-40.  If you DO get your hands on it BE CAREFULL!  Your best bet is to find an extremely experienced stylist who has been using it for years and watch that person like a HAWK to learn the dilution ratios like the back of your hand.  It will save tons of money in the long run!

Good Luck

b.c.g.

100 volume!!
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 5:13:13 PM

i worked with tocco magico, italy for a while and they made a 60% peroxide, and with their bleach it would definately take a level 4 or 5 to white. of course i wouldn't touch the scalp with it on my life, but it will do the job. it is not marked as 60%, or at least it wasn't when i last worked with it.

who wants white hair anyway, aren't we usually asked to get rid of the white?

good luck with that one!!!

The Doug

130 Volume Peroxide
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2006 7:45:00 PM

I have read the previous info and feel the need to explain the real use of hi volumes of peroxide.

I have used 130 vol for almost 15 years and it does not go on the scalp.

It does not go in foil as it will break the hair.

It can be used as strong as 80 volume if you know for a fact it is 80 volume. Only using a hydrometer to measure the volume is the only way to know the volume exactly.

Most think that if i break down 130 in half I get 65 volume.

Every time you open the bottle you expose it to oxygen and the peroxide grows. By the time you get to 1/2 of the bottle your volume has changed. A hydrometer is the only way to go.

I have a method of application that involves a rake, a high lift creme, and powder bleach, and high volumes of peroxide.

First, The Rake, I am not binding the hair in foil and using heat. I weave pieces of hair to apply the color working from the bottom to top and laying the hair on previous sections as i work up to the fall line at the part.

Second, the high lift creme keeps the product moist as to allow the gentle lifting and eventually the product stops as it will dry out, ( not the hair, the Product.)

The Amount of powder bleach, volume of peroxide, amount of creme, all create the outcome.

End Result.  Very conditioned hair, 20 min. application time, No having to watch the process under a dryer and having to pull foils, very cost effective.

I can't really understand how more of you don't do this.

I'm more than happy to help you understand how this works.

Doug

hues4you
Platinum Member

The Doug
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:14:50 PM

Dear The Doug-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read the board rules in the green box above.  We look forward to your participation.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

The Doug

Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 9:36:17 AM
Thanks for the info on Rules,  hope I didn't break any, just wanted to comment on some of the false understandings of the 130 perioxide.  It's a great product when used correctly.

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 12:01:56 PM

Thanks for that info Doug. And for being willing to explain it further. What product line are you using? I don't even know where to get 100 volume (except Siggers by mail) and have never heard of 130 volume.

Are you doing the Balayage technique with this? Is that what you mean by the rake? Thanks.

The Doug

Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2006 8:37:23 PM

I get 130 vol from a local supply in Shreveport, LA. I know it is available from T-Ku Industries. You can google 130 volume peroxide and get their info.

I'm  not sure what Balayage technique is exactly. The Rake is formally called a color palate. It is made by Piviot Point, and Framesi, and maybe someone else.

It's a flat tool, Plastic, about 5" by 4", with slightly rounded front that has teeth and fits the curvature of the head. The teeth distribute the color evenly down the hairshaft,

You apply the color with a semi-soft brush as you slide the rake away from the scalp and distribute the color toward the ends.

You can pull the rake out anywhere from near the root to ends as to only affect the hair with regrowth.

If you work from the bottom of section to top and weave out the desired pieces, lay the colored hair gently on the uncolored hair below, and you do not overuse product, the rake allows the color to only sorround the applied hair and not get any bleadage.

The teeth are fine, you can get to 1/16 of " to scalp,

If sectioned at fall line the color goes to scalp, lasts longer, not binded with foil, and if formulated right with the right hilift creme, the right powder bleach, Messing with some hi volume peroxide, the color will lift to a beautiful blonde, very little damage, easy application, client is out in less time, everyone happy.

Will be happy to awnser more.

Doug

talkingcolor

Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 4:26:16 PM
seems like a lot of hassle to go through, to play chemist by diluting your 100 vol. developer just to save a few pennies.
100vol used by those who know what to do with it is fine. Those who have never tried it, be aware of the amount of oxygen level in 100vol, (or even 60 and higher) and the amount of ammonia in the product of choice mixed with it, combined together on the hair, what you are creating within the cortex.
knowing what is chemically happening, will produce the best results.

hues4you
Platinum Member

talkingcolor
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 9:30:13 PM

Dear talkingcolor-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  We look forward to you participation!

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:29:16 PM

I have not done this technique of hair painting in years but have done it in the past. I am a foil junkie now. I will foil 350 foils in your hair strategically with a pattern that I drew out on a piece of paper for you before hand. I lay it inbetween, I fold it, I block it, splice it, weave it, create dimension with it, and highlight with it. I digress...

My impression on hair painting with this technique is the formula is made on the dry side, applied quickly and efficianly it will lighten the hair and then stop processing when it dries. The client is finished within 10 to 15 minutes, and platinum if a blue based lightener is used. I stopped doing this technique because of the flaky mess it made. It did exactly what I wanted it to do, it lightened dark hair beautifully.

When we did it we painted one highlite at a time with a brush over a rat tail comb.

I use Loreals Platinum now because it's blue based, creamy and stays moist, no dusting. I've inhaled more them my share of the stuff already. Sniffles.....

AMirage

Rokstar

This thread goes a way back........
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 8:04:38 PM
I read the previous posts.......man 100 vol....130 vol.....all I can see this doing is damaging the hair.......even monkey hair couldn't handle all that volume....help me o be wan.........

The Doug

Stop and Read previous posts again.
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 11:41:17 AM
No one is using 100 vol or 130 vol on hair.  You use a hydrometer to break the vol down to 45 - 65  vol depending on need.  As far as the flaky mess,  you must add a hi lift creme to the liquid and powder solution and this keeps the solution creamy longer to get desired lift.  Also you are not doing this to save pennies on peroxide,  The last time I did 350 foils on a head it took 1- 1.5  hours to apply.  This application takes 15 to 18 min. Gets closer to the scalp, does less damage, no heat, Can do multiple color, works with any color line, I can do 7 to 8 a day and still have 2 hrs for lunch with better quality !  I Think this computes to Dollars. !! 

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 2:22:00 PM

I would find bleeds. The creamy consistancy would have the hair next to the desired hairs absorb some of the product resulting in spotting, or brassy tones mixed in. I personally would rather take my time then rush through any procedure. I do not use heat, the heat from the head and the foil create all I need. I can see this technique work on chunky bold highlighting. Doesn't hurt me to place a foil as a barrier with this desired effect.

I do 350 foils for clients who start off with natural multidimensional hair, grey mixed with brown, 60 % in front, 20 % in back. By foiling the blondes in, the mediums in, and the darks in, their rootline is broken, they don't have a clear 1/2 line of demarcation in 4 weeks. Not everyone gets that many foils. Some clients get as little as 5 foils.

I am not knocking your technique. You and your clients are very comfy with it I am sure. It's just not my style.

40 volume peroxide is fine for me. If I desire more lift I add a booster. The heat traveling through the foil results is less bands on the hair. No dryer, just the persons natural temperature. There are times that I need the bleach to process at a slower temperature to match the timing needed on my color. 

I personally do not want to do 7 or 8 of anything a day, I would rather variety.

If it takes 10 minutes longer to finish processing , that means my client has time to have a cup of coffee, or read an article. The average time it takes me to do this from start to finish is 2 hours. Depending on the thickness of the clients hair 15 minutes less or more.

I save time with my foiling by not folding each foil into a tiny little package that has to many bends in it creating heavier product in the pocket, and thinner on the bends. I fold over once, and quickly slide my highlighting comb to crease the edges. I find I have better manipulation with the foils, without slipping.

I have also just layed the foil as a barrier between my colors without folding it into a package at all. I apply my colors to the top of the head first, then the back, hairline last. 20 to 30 minutes after the last foil is applied my client is done. I see 4 people a day am comfortable with the timing, the result, the price, and a 2 hour lunch would drag me down.

I only responded in kind because I was quoted to make a point.

Do what you want, enjoy your skill, technique, and the fruits of your labors. I will do the same.

AMirage 

The Doug

Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 5:59:29 PM

The use of a Rake ( with semi fine teeth ) distribute the color evenly around the hairshaft and " does not " bleed, providing you are not using too much product.  You can apply multiple colors to hairs in the same 1/8 " section and they won't affect other hairs.

I feel the next big changes in haircolor has to do with application as there is only so much that can happen with red, yellow, and blue.

Years have shown us it's time for new application methods. First, cap hilites, then Foil, and now we must look at other ways to apply.  This must include a look at time, condition, and ability to be versatile  I ALWAYS advocate quality over quantity.

When you speak of boosters, this is exactly what I am doing with higher volumes of peroxide.

Time of processing is automatic,  I do not need to alter my formula several times in the application process to match my timing.

It sounds as if you have mastered the foil process, and hopefully you will open yourself to other techniques to help you out with the issues you will encounter as others move away from caps and foil.

Hair Fashion, as with other industries, change constantly, and our application methods are no exception.  I welcome these changes so long as quality is not sacrificed.

I must now bake a potato.  

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 7:31:32 PM

mmm potatoes, baked mine tonight with peanut oil, fresh garlic, bay seasoning, pepper, and vidalia onions at 350 for 1 1/2 hours, broiled for 10 minutes..... tasty!

When I say 350 foils, I am exaggerating. I am open to new techniques. I would enjoy seeing how you apply with the rake. I may find a client who this technique would suit perfectly.

How did you cook your potato?

AMirage

The Doug

Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 8:08:22 PM

Ummmm..... Vidalia onions....  You must be from the south. I live about 2 hours from Vidalia and love the onions and have my own Bay bush.

I am trying to do some classes on the rake technique in the area soon,  Hopefully you are in the general area as I think we all could benefit from looking at different ideas.

This method has changed my haircolor world.

By the way.....My California white potato ( wrapped in foil ) was then sliced, drizzled with garlic Danish butter, cracked pepper, bacon crumbles,  and served with a piece of marinated pork tenderloin, Grilled, of course,  ( sorry,  I burped ), and a nice Chianti.  

Would love to tell you more of my system................Doug 

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 8:24:24 PM

Native New Yawka here.......... oops, accent slipped.

My red roasted potatoes were served with venison strips sauteed with strips of red peppers, green peppers, and snow peas in worstechere sauce, soy, topped with various spices, fresh milled peppercorn and milled sea salt. A cored sweet onion recipe with a cream cheese and bacon filling was an attempt to try a different side dish. Although interesting and tasty, I most likely won't have that side again. Fresh Sesame Bread finished it off. They forgot my Merlot at the store, so Baileys irish cream on the rocks it was!

I've seen the rake.... never watched an example. The redken fushion line I use would sit well back to back with that technique I think.

Let me know about your show... Hey it's a write off, I'll travel. Think I can rent a Mustang there?

AMirage

Just when I think that I'm out they pull me back in again.....

Sweet Dreams people..... I must stop posting, It feels like a new OCD.  

The Doug

Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 8:55:34 PM

You'll see the Rake soon,   Sorry, I didn't mean to mess with the OCD ' s.

Yea, you can rent anything you want, Mustang, Alligator Anything. You name it.......

Jesika

mmm The Rake huh??
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:04:32 AM

sounds really awesome and inspiring/exiting when you talk about what will come after foiling. I want to soo bad know what this rake technique is. I live in nowheres land saskatchewan, canada and find it hard to find new techniques. I wnet to Vidal Sassoon academy santa Monica for like 3 months and already I am being slowly clinged down to old ways. AAH!  hahaha. Oh well..I will learn more. How does this technique not blle at all I would lopve to watch what kind o consistency you are using. good on ya! I am using matrix color and love it but the darn kolorkiks and goes hot on the roots all the time.:) Oh well..ill figure it out

The Doug

The Rake
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 8:48:49 AM

Yes, I do feel we must find other techniques for application. I find the Rake ( as i call it ) will be a big new tech.  As far as consistency, The product will slightly drip of the brush, not run, not chunk, drip slightly. When mixing with a highlift creme, a powder bleach, and the vol of peroxide desired,  the product will swell and thicken over about 5 min. Then add more peroxide in small doses to get to the desired thickness and the product will stabilize and stay at this consistency for about 30 min. Enough time to apply. I think you can order Rakes, ( Color Palates) from Pivot Point,  Toni and Guy, or Framesi. Look for their websites.

You can email me directly at dougyelverton@yahoo.com and I'll be happy to talk you through it. You must find 130 vol peroxide and a hydrometer.  If you have trouble finding I can ship you these items as I stock lots.  Just let me know.....

Happy coloring and Happy to help.   Doug

russnyc
Platinum Member

Highlighting
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 4:12:06 AM
Hi

I'm pretty happy with foil and a highlighting comb. The past several years I have been paying more attention to speed, placement, and timing coloring, taking specific parts off at a specific lifting point.

I also pay attention to the wrap so that when the client's head is back in the sink, the foils that stay in are angled so that water cannot ge into the packet while you are rinsing out the other ones.

I learned a really great wrap technique that involves thin slicing througout the top so that it looks like the highlights are right to the root no matter where you part the hair.

Just when you think something is getting boring, pay closer attention to refining your skills further, and you will start to see other areas where you can improve.

hipsterguy

not is the us
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 7:09:20 AM
what I learned in school was that there is higher developer in europe.  it cannot be used in the us due to shipping laws.  fourty volume should be fine.

hues4you
Platinum Member

hipsterguy
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 10:51:06 AM

Dear hipsterguy

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  You can find 100 vol in the US - but it is not to play around with.  Some people use it with a hydrometer to make various volumes and some use it for the balyage technique.  If 100 vol touches the skin it could burn it bad.

MereDoesHair

oh yes....
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 4:32:46 AM
My former boss brought some of this back from Japan.....
whoo... scary stuff

SOMETIMES, you can find 50 volume at the beauty supplies (even Sally's has carried it from time to time!) I think it just ends up there by fluke...

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 1:52:40 PM

When I lived in the city I bought mine at a supply store on Grand Street in Williamsburg Brooklyn. Only place I could find it.

AMirage