Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Management Issues > Why do stylists get paid less than people who work in fast food industry?
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:33:03 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Why do stylists get paid less than people who work in fast food industry?
Anonymous

Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 11:26:00 AM
It is absolutely rediculous that we go to school and have to go through all this training for 7.50 an hour, what a rip off. Fast food employees are getting paid more and we go to school.

Who sets the bar for hair stylists? Who ever it is, is a cheap •••••••.

Saraha

Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 12:52:00 PM
Because stylists will do it.

I own a booth rental salon. I have had girls quit here to go work at a chain paying $7.50 an hour. (which is minimum wage in my state).

Why?

Because to stay here, they would have to be responsible, work hard, show up on time, and build a clientele, or they make nothing.
They quit here to go get that 'guaranteed $7.50 an hour".
The last one actually said to my partner and I "well, you know they pay you $7.50 an hour even if you don't do anything but sit in your chair all day. Here I don't make anything if I do that".

I am serious, those words came out of her mouth. My partner and I about fell over.

It is too bad, because stylists like her are making it so that a decent, motivated person can't get a good starting wage.
But as long as there are so many stylists willing to 'work' for $7.50 an hour (so long as not too much is required of them), then the pay won't go up for those of you who want more out of your career.

I've never understood why someone would take out student loans and go to school for at least a year, only to make what they could have made at the gap or whatever. But they do it all the time, because the effort required to build a business is just too much.
I've seen it repeatedly since being an owner. And it's screwing over the talented, motivated stylists who would like the steady paycheck, but at a decent wage, and who are willing to work for it.
I've had people leave to go work for minimum wage saying "well I'm just not comfortable suggesting that people come to me, or handing out my business cards, so I'd rather go there where people just come in and I don't have to do anything to get them".
Yes, they really said that.

Anyway, that's JMO on 'why'.

H.G.

Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 3:41:00 PM
My opinion is this; $7.50/hr. basically is worth about as much as simply showing up for work. In the year 2000, the statistics showed that in the U.S., $10.00/hr. was POVERTY level. And that's only one person with NO dependents. One can only imagine constitutes poverty level now.

I keep seeing the comparison's between McDonald's and this field. The only difference is, we have been fools for parting with our money to go to school for LESS than a year to learn NOTHING except how to do hair. No other curriculum exists. So, why shouldn't we get paid minimum wage? Let's be realistic. Clientele is what makes our pockets bulge. So, if we're sitting around and no clientele shows up, what else are we doing to earn those big bucks? NOTHING. So, stop complaining. If you don't like it, get into a profession that pay is commesurate with experience.

tina

Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 6:17:00 PM
It totally blows my mind that stylists would work for such low pay. Why would stylists do that? It may take a little bit of time to build a book, but eventually the pay off can be great. I make more in tips an hour than what these stylists are getting paid. Shame on the salons who would offer a wage that is so insulting to our profession. Stylists should have higher standards. Promote yourself, hopefully your salon will help you build, and make lots of money.

OLSKooLGRL

Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 8:37:00 PM
If you truly have an incredible passion for this craft, and you really motivate yourself to perfect your skills, THEN you make the $$$. You are all your own "keepers of the keys." Faith!

vallygrl
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 9:17:00 PM
I agree olskool, i can't believe that anybody would activly choose a chain salon over a smaller salon. I've worked in both, and now i'm at a smaller salon, i just get commission, but i love it, i am making decent sized pay checks, and not to be crass but people tip a bit more at my salon then they did when i worked for Regis. I liked Regis because it improved my speed, I knew going into it that i would not stay there, because there was no creativity whatsoever, but it did help my speed, but i do not reccommend it for anyone who really knows what there doing. If your beginning, or if your getting back into it, it's an okay place but not to stay in.
God bless

cutncolor

Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 11:49:00 PM
I look at it this way; if a stylist is paid an hourly wage, some are just gonna sit on their a$$ and not even try to build their clientel, cause they are getting paid wether they have clients or not.
If they are paid commission, especially if on a sliding scale, they are going to work harder at getting clientel; because-- no customers, no $$$. If they are paid a higher commission if they bring in more, they are going to try harder to reach that point.
And if they are booth rental--no customers = can't pay the rent.

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 6:52:00 AM
There are pros & cons to both- of course.
It all sums up to you get what you advertise for. If a chain advertises $5.00 haircuts- of course they are going to attract a clientele that is money or spend conscious- so to speak.
You will get a lot of kids, college aged and men for services.
That is good experience to get, but of course they are only going to tip you a buck or less. It would make no sense for them to tip any better for the goddawful price that they are paying at a chain for a haircut.
You will probably work for an hourly wage for most if not all of your career within a chain salon setting. The commission on requests added to your earnings is an o.k. incentive, but I don't think it goes very high: it's capped way under 50% I'm sure. You can never knock benefits which most chains do offer because they have enough employees to qualify for insurance discounts.
Smaller salons are o.k if you can get into a good one that has a great variety of clientele ages and up to the minute owners with true enthusiasm for putting effort into the business and it's employees.
Some will start you at an hourly rate that is more than what a chain salon offers- usually there is no insurance benefits and when you move onto commission only- the commission is low: 45%-55%. Or sliding scale through the three, I personally don't agree with sliding scale. (if it is what I think it is, correct me if I am wrong please.)
I feel that it should be one commission amount only. They should be paid 50% (example) all the time, instead of being penalized with a lower commission rate for an "off-week" which normally really has nothing to do with the stylist themselves. And if you really think about it- If you are sliding each week from 45%-55% aren't you really in essence making 50% commission????? think about it and do the math.
It's befuddling to me how it has come about where the norm in this business creates stylists who run their butts off cultivating a full book. "You earn more if you get more people into your chair." And how ironic is it that when they leave to better themselves the owners sue them for taking their clients?
No, there should be no penalizing with a lower percentage rate one week because you didn't work on as many people as the week prior.
It's insulting.

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 7:32:00 AM
I am the one who posted. I am in a chain salon - First Choice by Regis, so that I could build up speed and what I thought was a clientele. I have a new job starting in about two weeks. It is a small salon, she is starting me at 7.50, plus commision after I sell my salery. I do have the opportunity to get on straight commision 50/50 plus back bar fees.

I just figured 10.00 an hour to start would be reasonable. Of course for 7.50 you are also scrubbing toilets as well as doing clients.

The clientele that did continue to come back to me at Regis will not likely follow because they do not want to pay the extra money. They want an amazing job but don't want to pay for it.

Just like employers they seem to take advantage of employees. I am never late, work hard, have some clients and no raise. Regis is the cheapest company ever. You have to do 20 haircuts a day to get $8.00 an hour.

Regis and chain salons definitely have their purpose but definitely there is no future. Oh but of course if you want to be a manager and run the place with the added paper work for $8.50.

Now that is worth it!

helllooooo

Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 10:15:00 AM
I'm perplexed at why some of you posters believe it's ok to hire someone to be in your salon the hours YOU require, yet feel it's perfectly fine to NOT pay them for their time! There are many business where there's down time. Of course there's going to be down time in a salon as well. A person cannot be 100% busy from the time they start their shift until the time it ends. All you posters who feel it's ok to NOT pay hourly wage to employees, I'll bet you'd be singing a different tune if the shoe were on the other foot! Take a course in economics, or better yet, read up on wage laws! You people are grossly undereducated in both aspects! Good grief!!!

cutncolor

Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 12:00:00 PM
Hellloooo....
First of all I do not expect my employees to be in the salon set hours. But...if they are not there they don't get the walkins. A salon does not make money if there are no appointments so how would you expect to get paid for doing NOTHING but sitting in a chair all day waiting for customers to walk in.
Undereducated...no, I don't think so! That is the way this business works & the stylist knows this going in to this profession.

And the shoe has been on the other foot. I have worked in commissioned salons for 14 years before opening my own. I was paid on a sliding scale in the last salon I worked at & YES it makes you work harder to get the higher commission. Why should someone that doesn't work that hard to bring in clients get the same commission as someone that works their butt of getting new customers. Same in retailing. The more you work at selling the more you get paid.

If you worked 5-6 days a week. 10-12 hour days, nights, weekends... wouldn't you feel like you deserve more than the person that only wants to work 2-3, 6 hour days a week-no nights & no weekends? And if you retailed to 25 out of 30 people that week and someone else retailed to 5 people, don't you think you deserve more commission? I sure would expect it.

Go work somewhere else if you are only making $7.50 an hour and have to scrub toilets too. If you are paid commission and are a quick & efficient worker, you can make more per hour. Chain salons are alot like factories.
Locally owned salons are more personable.

If a customer likes your work, they WILL return to you no matter what the price is. You want LOYAL clients to build your business.

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 1:07:00 PM
Well, I would feel like I deserved at least minimum wage. After all that IS the law. You don't get it, CutnColor. It's THE LAW. You don't require your employees to work for you a set amount of hours? You have no structure? That's ludicrous.

tina

Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 3:20:00 PM
anon 1:07, you sound like the person on another post who kept whining back and forth about hourly pay. Is that you? If it is, get over it. I totally agree with cutncolor.

OLSKooLGRL

Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 8:53:00 PM
I have worked for both chain/ private, commission /salary, and currently hourly [no commisson on services.]Out of all I like this one best becasue it really is a team environment. People dont get greedy and steal and fight over clients, and we bind toogether to help eachother when things go awry. Last week the washer broke, and people were offering to take home the laundry to do it so the owner wouldnt have to.. On a Sat night. Well, It really doesnt matter how you are paid, as long as you are fairly and legally compensated for the work you do, and the clientele you strive to gain and maintain. No matter what type of salon you are in, you ultimately have to bust your ••• in this business, putting in the time and your energy to make it. Success is not all about money tho, dont let it rule. We are in [in my opinion] THE COOLEST industry ever. We get to make other people feel better while we "do art on their heads!" USE THE FORCE! BE GOOD! LIVE AND WORK LARGE!

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 9:44:00 PM
Tina, you sound like a whiner too. Get over it and move on. I totally agree with Anon 1:07p.m.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 7:18:00 AM
I have set hours, and i get paid only on commisssion, i look at it as a wonderfull oppourtuninty to get my foot in the door at a nice salon. So i am willing to do anything they ask me to do, and i watch the busier stylists so i learn how to do hair better. I am not hired as a assistant but that is what i am considering myself at this point, so i do assistant type work. I sweep hair, i answer the phone, i wash hair out, i hand foils to the stylists. Also the clientelle that i do get tips better. My employer at the moment does not have the finances to pay me an hourly wage. It can be a bit scary, but i like the freedom of being able to build my own clientelle and do my own thing as opposed to working in a chain salon, and doing assembly line cuts.
God bless

OLSKooLGRL

Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 8:48:00 AM
Vallygrrl: Just make sure you dont get screwed out of $ when you DO start to fill in your appt book. I started out [years ago] assisting and learned the hard way that I was only there to be used fill in as a "free" receptionist/gopher. I only learned what I bugged other people to show me, otherwise nothing was shared by the owner who was supposedly going to train me. I did learn how salon runs though, and what kind of owner I would not like to work for again..I was just too new out of school to know better about getting taken advantage of. I recommend you discuss with the owner/mgr, a goal of time frame when you both feel you are ready to take on your own clients or theirs and what your pay might be.This way you have a goal in sight to work forward to, instead of empty promises..

Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 11:11:00 AM
It's not a question of having the finances to pay hourly wage. If a person can't do that, they have no business hiring people. It's funny that some of you posters are actually defending the non payers. It's THE LAW! What part of that don't you understand?? I can't believe anyone would want to work for free. You all ***** about people coming here and wanting free advice, and that your "professionals" and went to school yadda yadda yadda, but feel it's ok to not get paid. How ridiculous!

tina

Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 12:38:00 PM
Who here says they want to work for free? It is perfectly legal to pay stylists commission only. I get paid and get paid well for what I do and I am a commission only stylist.

OLSKooLGRL

Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 12:45:00 PM
I am definitely NOT endorsing No pay or little pay for anyone in this business. However, there are not hard and fast regulations standardizing or regulating rates of pay for assistants/New stylists. People need to be aware that its a major problem that has to be addressed because of the multitude of types of salons and owners in this industry. I think its ludicrous that people should have to assist for free, or start off earning no money at all, that doesnt help anyone new stay focused or motivated while trying to learn their career after all, no matter how much we may love what we do, IT IS OUR LIVING. Its incredible to me that this sort of treatment by any employer could still be allowed to exist. If someone is VOLUNTARILY willing to assist to learn while in school, a few hours a week, I can understand them being paid nothing or just tips or a small salary to get their feet wet, but there should be incentives offered within a time frame agreed on in writing between them and their employer once they graduate or are moved to the salon floor. Anyone EMPLOYED SHOULD be paid for their time/effort , just like ANY other career, be it fast food or what.I mean, people in college do internships or work study for some kind of pay usually, before graduating in their fields, why we dont have some standardized regulation to this affect, I cant understand. Faith!

cutncolor

Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 3:01:00 PM
Anonymous 1:07 pm:
No, YOU don't get it. It is NOT the law to pay at least minimum if you are paying commission basis only. Why would someone get paid for doing nothing? If it was the law, why do so many salons pay that way??!!

Yes I do have structure & no I don't require them to work a set amount of hours. That is their choice. They stay because they know they will miss walkins & miss out on learning things they may not know about in the salon.
IF I required them do work a set shedule, then yes I would pay them hourly. If I ask them to do cleaning, I pay tehm hourly.

That is the way this business works. Are you even a cosmetologist? If you were, I would think you would understand this. Apparently you know nothing about running a salon. You are here to just ***** & whine. A salon owner does not make that much off a stylist after all the bills & taxes are paid. There is alot of overhead in a salon. A small salon cannot afford to pay a stylist hourly if they don't have customers. Just like any other business. But, if they (other types of businesses) are slow, they send you home early or cut your hours or lay you off. That doesn't happen in a salon.

GET OVER YOURSELF!

Beenwatching

Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 4:28:00 PM
Cut n Color::

I'm sorry to tell you this but it most certainly is the law. It's bizarre that you don't seem to understand that. When you employ someone, and you require them to work certain hours, whether or not there is enough work for them to do, they still are to be compensated for their time. It's quite foolhardy to argue the point. If you took the time to research it you would find this out for yourself. I don't know what state you live in, but it's the law in my state and I am an owner and I do have to pay hourly if my stylists don't make their commission. You can argue until you are blue in the face with whomever disagrees with you, but it won't change the facts.

Also, the tone and attitude you display in your posts suggest that you don't get along very well with others, since you can't seem to contain yourself or have a mature discussion without getting bent out of shape. Try a nice warm bath and some milk. Or go to a therapist to vent your anger. You are hurting noone here with your pugnacity except yourself. I hope you get out of that grumpy mood :)

cutncolor

Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 9:16:00 PM
been watching:
You said:
"and you require them to work certain hours, whether or not there is enough work for them to do, they still are to be compensated for their time."

My reply:
Exactly-when you require them to work certain hours. As I stated above, I don NOT require them to work set hours. I do not expect them to be there all day if they don't have appointments.

You said:
it's the law in my state and I am an owner and I do have to pay hourly if my stylists don't make their commission.

My reply:
I have never heard of that law in my state, I'm sure my accountant and lawyer would have told me this. And if it is a law, the salon I worked for 6 years prior to opening my own owes me ALOT of money for hours I worked with no appoinmtnts during slow times.

You said:
Also, the tone and attitude you display in your posts suggest that you don't get along very well with others, since you can't seem to contain yourself or have a mature discussion without getting bent out of shape. Try a nice warm bath and some milk. Or go to a therapist to vent your anger. You are hurting noone here with your pugnacity except yourself. I hope you get out of that grumpy mood

My reply:
I don't have an attitude, I'm not angry and I don't need a therapist--Thank you for your concerns though. I am not trying to hurt anyone and I get along great with others. I believe I am too nice sometimes.
Just stating my opinions just as everyone else does here.
Thanks! :)

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 10:09:00 PM
olskoolgrl-i understand what your saying but i feel like i'm much less getting jipped working where i do now then when i worked at a chain salon, for the amount of money that someone who works at a fast food restaraunt works. I get paid on exactly what i do. And i get fifty percent commission pluss tips when i get customers. When i'm not doing hair i'm allowed to tan for free and get other services done. I agree that we shouldn't work for free, but i feel more like a professional then when i worked at my other salon. This is just an oppinion though and i don't want to knock chain salons. I think there great for when you first come out of school. I learned how to cut hair fast, and some other valuble lessons, but i'm much happier now. We are all hairstylists and we can all teach each other, no one is better than the other, they both have there benifits and drawbacks.
God bless

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 6:28:00 AM
Just be careful Vally about what you are doing. It's an excellent attitude that you have & you will learn so much.
But be aware that there may be a problem in the future with the salon allowing you more clientele. I speak from experience, the following has happened to me.
If you are only being paid commission for each head that you do then You are being free labor if you are sweeping, answering the phones, picking up after people, doing the towels, cleaning the mirrors, shampooing clients for them etc. etc. etc.
You will be considered too good to give up as how you are now. You may find that even when you are busy, they may expect the same things from you or they may hold back allowing you enough clients for you to be busy.
Just be aware that things like this can & do happen and for you to always have your eyes open at the shop. Don't be too green, this is a tough business.
Free labor is against the law- the stylists &/or owner should, at the very least be tipping you out at the end of the day.

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 8:48:00 AM
If you are a commission only stylist, you should not be required to do anything but hair and to clean up after yourself.

At my salon stylist only do hair. We have shampoo assitants and receptionists that are paid hourly to do everything else.
If a stylist is not busy they are free to do whatever they want, whether it is sit and read, leave, eat, whatever.
The stylists that hang out are the ones that benefit because they get the clients.
All of this is 100% legal.

PS, well said cutncolor. Thank you for telling these people whats up.

OLSKooLGRL

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 8:54:00 AM
Good Luck Valley,
Sounds like you made a good choice for you, just be aware of your place in it all, i think that's all everyone here is trying to say.

As for Cut & Color : I dont know if your "anger" was directed at me or any/everyone else.. No one said you were at personally at fault, your state might have different rules. We are all just trying to discuss different options/legalities of pay for those who are newer in the biz and might not know how to look out for themselves.& YES I have been an owner, I have had People worked comm and been paid commission, the forms of pay is not the issue here, BEING PAID at all while starting out is.. Dont get into a tizzy , we are all just trying to help eachother here.. Faith.

cutncolor

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 9:50:00 AM
Thanks Anonymous 8:48 :)

I also agree with what you said.
"If you are a commission only stylist, you should not be required to do anything but hair and to clean up after yourself."

I don't require them to do anything else --except EVERYONE helps with towels--everyone dirty's them, everyone can help launder them. I don't have the luxury of a laundry service. And everyone dumps their own trash everynight & wipes their own station down. That's not much to ask if they have dirtied the station up.
However I do have a high school girl 3 days a week this summer answering phones & doing towels & such. And YES I pay her by the hour.

OLSKooLGRL:
I am not angry at you and not in a tizzy! Just opinionated.
One of the anonymous earlier is the one that said you can't pay commission only, that it's illegal-- and you can for services. I wouldn't expect someone to assist or anything not hair unless I was paying them. I do exactly what ANON 8:48 above does & it is legal.
Read thru some ANON & Helloo post above-this is the one with attitude & anger. I don't have a problem with anyone til they start telling me I need a therapist, yada yada... :)

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 11:14:00 AM
alesia- thank you for your concern, i respect your oppinion and will keep in mind what you are saying, your right though, i'm learning a ton.
anon-i agree with what your saying, i am not required to do anything. I do this stuff because i want to and feel it is my duty as a young stylist. I respect the other stylists enough that it is MY joy and honor to sweep after them, to clean the salon, and to learn from them.
OLSKoolgrl-ditto to what i said to alesia
Remember guys-wwrcd
God bless

maryellen

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 11:42:00 AM
We will all make more money if we charge more! As long as there are cheap hair salons and walmart salons it hurts us all. Everyone get there prices up above poverty level. Act,look and dress professional. Show up! If you are not dressed nice you will not get the big bucks. Throw out jeans and sneakers. Dress Up! Think about it. Also stay put and start at a good location.

Remy Blue
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 2:16:00 PM
Minimum wage should only be a starting point until you build up you clientele. You don't have to pay min. wage unless you require a stylist to be there certain hours.

Alesia- you are so right! I've been in your shoes and the owner said I should come in on my slow day just to assist her and I should tell my clients that I wasn't available on that day.

vallygrrl- ?wwrcd?

Mary Ellen- it's about the quality of work not how your dressed and we all do not have to raise our prices to make money if you work smarter and not harder.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 3:48:00 PM
Remy Blue-what would Robert Cromeans do.
God bless

Sigel

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 4:01:00 PM
You are paid for your skill. If you are making $7 per hour, you're probably demonstrating skills that reflect $7 per hour. If you are making $40, the same applies. I have students that make much more than that ($7) just in tips. The way in which you relate to your client will determine how much money you will make, as well as how much job enjoyment you will experience. If you are making your clients look and feel good, they will provide you with money, and positive feedback. If you're not experiencing this, get some more training. Relying on "minimum" wages does not seem to be the right path for "maximum" satisfaction from your chosen profession.

maryellen

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 4:51:00 PM
Is it smart to have cheap prices? People will pay you more if you are dressed nice. When I wore jeans I got a different reaction than I do now. Go to the bmw dealer dressed in jeans and sneakers and then go on a different day dressed up and you will see a difference in how you are approached! I had cheaper prices and worked myself in to a cast on my arm for 8 weeks! I make more money and work half as hard by raising my prices. If someone (like you I assume) keep their prices cheap then it makes it look like you don't think your worth it. Also if everyone charged more like plumbers,electricians,massage therapists ect then we would not have to have this discussion. I have 18 years expeience how many years do you have? Check back when you have the same # of years. You will have a different attitude. If you don 't act and dress professional you will never be paid like a professional. As long as someone up the street is trying to undercut you then we all lose!

Remy Blue
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 7:42:00 PM
I don't have to "dress like a professional" to make big money, or to charge big bucks. It's all in your attitude about your profession and job, as well as your skills. I only dress up when I feel like it, but I don't dress like a slob either. I call my style trendy(jeans and sneakers incl.) and I do not charge cheap prices. Actually I've been told that I'm somewhat expensive. No it isn't necessarily smart to have cheap prices. But as for students just coming out of school, or stylists re-entering the business charging cheap prices, making min. wage, and working hard(with long hours) is a starting point for them. If you are making min wage after 2 years(5 yrs max), it's time to go to a new salon.

Mary Ellen- It sounds as if you were working harder and not smarter, but now you've smartened up and raising prices has worked for you. No offense, but if you are doing quality work then you don't have to worry about being undercut by the salons/people down the street.Charge what you feel you're worth! I do~ and if they can't "afford" your prices tell them to go down street.

Robert Cromeans -a Hair Idol!!!

cutncolor

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 11:08:00 PM
Well said Mary Ellen! :)
You're working smarter!
I think there should be a set price for the lowest someone can charge for a haircut. I have been in the Biz for 18 years also. We have customers that can't get in RIGHT AWAY so they go to Walmart or Costcutters 25 miles from here. Then they come back whining & want us to fix their screwed up hair. Colors included. You bet-I'll charge you some $$$ to correct someone elses color!! Show me the money!!

Funny you should say that about charging like a massage therapist. One I know came in complaining about the price of a pedicure at another salon. I told her that is what we charge also. Well, ya know what> She charges the same price for a 45 minute massage as we do for a
1-1/2 hour Pedi. and we use much more product & electricity than she does. Don't know what she's complaining about.

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 8:55:00 AM
1 & 1/2 hour pedicures! How much are they?

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 9:26:00 PM
Remy BLue-yes he is my hero.
God bless

shampooman

Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 11:01:00 PM
Vallygrrl, I love the wwrcd! It is always good to read your posts. Everyone could learn from your positive attitude. Always have heros and mentors, give terrific service to your guests and don't let others pull you down. I admire your energy and professionalism. A lot of people could benefit by thinking...wwvgd...God Bless

P.S Just saw Robert at PM Signature Gathering! He rocked as did JP and all of the PM artists!

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 11:32:00 PM
Question:

I work in a salon in Massachusetts and am paid commission only. However, I have a set work schedule and was told by the owner that I would be "let go" if I left during slow times. Is that legal? How would I go about finding out about the laws in my state?

The owner of my salon is always up to no good, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case in this instance as well.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 8:26:00 AM
shampooman-oh my gosh it's so cool to see you on here again. Oh my gosh i really wanted to talk to you. I got to meet Mr. Cromeans(his royal hairstyleness) and he cut my hair. Well talk to you later.
PS-the signature gathering sounds awesome.
pps-wwrcd
God bless

shampooman

Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 9:21:00 PM
Val, Kelly Cardenas is cutting my hair in Las Vegas tomorrow! I read your posts about going to see Robert. I am so glad you did. He is a great guy and a superb example. Have a great evening! It is good to see you are still present to this community! God Bless!

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 12:51:00 AM
Shampooman- Where?

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 4:43:00 PM
To anonymous, call your state dept of Labor. You will have a lot of back pay coming.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 7:19:00 PM
shampooman-ahh, i am so happy for you, i hope your cut looks awesome. He is tottally the second guy i want to meet. Such a great hairdresser.
wwrcd
God bless

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, August 20, 2004 12:13:00 AM
What does wwrcd mean?

Jamie

Posted: Friday, August 20, 2004 12:41:00 AM
Anon August 18 @ 4:43 -

Back pay? How would that work? I have no idea how many hours I've stayed and not had clients. I'm leaving this salon soon, so it's not going to be an issue for me much longer, but I might look into it just so that I'm more well informed. I'd be hesitant to contact the labor board because she makes us do things that aren't legal in order to keep our jobs and I don't want that to come back on me. That's why I'm leaving... I'm going to a salon where everything is by the book and I won't have to worry anymore.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, August 20, 2004 9:52:00 AM
anon 12:13 what would Robert Cromeans do.
God bless

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, August 20, 2004 3:30:00 PM
Jamie, if she does not keep a record of your hours, the labor board will estimate what you have worked, usually 40 hours a week times how many weeks you have worked there. It is the responsibility of the owner to keep records, god help them if they don't.

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 12:35:00 AM
Do you know how much a waitress or waiter make? Let me enlighten you 3.25 plus tips in my area. Granted we did go to school, but I only have a diploma, this is a skilled trade type of bussiness. If you wanted the big bucks you should have gotten a MS in applied science, which my sister has, and you know what, I make more money than she does!!!

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 1:31:00 AM
What does your sister do?

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 10:20:00 AM
She is a director over a dept. at a community college.

nickyboi

Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 1:44:00 AM
$3.25?! Uh, that's less than half the federally required minmum law, which I believe is something like $6.25 or $6.75 an hour. That's not possible, unless they're breaking the labor laws.

shampooman

Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 10:58:00 PM
mc, sorry for the tardy response. Actually Kelly cut my wifes hair and Michael cut my hair at the new ARCS Salon in Las Vegas! I was able to spend some nice time dreaming with them about the future! What a great salon!

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 2:45:00 AM
Nice. Did you have fun while you were here? You should've came here this week. It's ALOT cooler out now. I think it actually hit 93 today.

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 6:33:00 AM
waitstaff are allowed less than minimum wage because they have to report tips which are also part of their pay. They make a lot more than minimum wage, that is why you see people doing that job for years, they would never make more doing something else.The wage is also governed by federal laws.

shampooman

Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 11:58:00 PM
mc, You must be in Vegas! Yes we had a great time. We spent 13 days in Vegas in July. It feels like home. We came back out last week for a few days. One of our mentors and friends had a surprise birthday party. Have a great day mc!

artemis1044

Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:57:42 PM
I make a lot more than a fast food employee! Don't work for companies that pay by the hour if you want to make money. Either go booth rental or commission. Don't charge 10 bucks for a haircut. WE are worth more than that!