Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Curved Comb For Cutting Layers??
Posted By:
Posted By:lslbrk1 on: 8/30/2005 6:36:30 AM

Author: Thread: Curved Comb For Cutting Layers??
Posts: 3

Curved Comb For Cutting Layers??
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 6:36:30 AM
A new client came to me the other day. One of those "I've only had one person who could cut my hair right and she did this and that etc etc blah blah" LOL Anyway, she peaked my interest a bit when she said this previous stylist had a comb that was curved and it was used to cut layers. She asked if I had ever heard of it and I hadn't. She said it came out 10+ years or so ago which was way before my time in this business. From what I understand, the stylist had the client bend her head over and she would run the comb through the hair and then she would flip her head back up and run the comb through it again and voila -- perfect layers. I assume that something so easy couldn't have been so great or it would still be around but I was wondering if any other stylists remember this and what it was all about. TIA :)

Posts: 2083
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 6:19:13 PM
The curved comb was a Paul Mitchell innovation, go to their website or talk to your distributor for more info. By the way it's piqued, not peaked...

Posts: 1104
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:04:36 PM
The Davis Curved combs.   Fun tool-like to have a set if anyone finds a source.

Posts: 3

Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 6:13:53 AM

Thanks for the replies. So is this comb like the PM razor comb but curved or... ? Is it really as easy as just combing the hair? That's how my client described it but I can't get it in my head how that would work.

~*~ Brooke ~*~

Posts: 1104
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 5:25:27 PM
the Davis curved combs are combs that are in varying degrees of a "c" shaped curvature and are used with electric clippers. like a traditional comb that has been bent in the middle to form a lazy 'c' shape.
there are the razor combs but i've not seen one in a curved shape.  there are also of course the curved shears.

Posts: 2

Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 6:02:31 PM

Today at Sallys beauty supply saw the Comb had no idea what it was used for???


Bang the Hair Babe

Posts: 3

Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 6:26:36 AM

Thanks, I'll have to check out our local Sally's and see if they have it :) I'm still curious about this thing LOL

~*~ Brooke ~*~

Posts: 102
Bronze Member

speaking of combs...
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 5:48:50 AM
Does anyone know where to find a metal teasing comb w/ a good, strong, comfortable handle?  I do dread locks on some of my friends and all I can find a cheap metal combs with straight flat handles that kill my hands.  Not to mention they are so cheap I need 2 or 3 a head.  I have check EVERY distributor in my area, and I can't find any on the internet either. 

Posts: 1

Curved Combs for cutting layers
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 2:14:18 PM
I actually have 7 of them and considering selling them on ebay. They are very cool. You use them with your clippers to layer, stack and texturize. There really is no limit to what effects you can create. You can use the same technique you use with shears but instead are using the curved comb and clippers. If anyone is interested in buying them from me let me know and I can email you photos. They are in like new condition.

Posts: 1

curved combS
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 12:09:59 AM


PLEASE EMAIL ME A PICTURE OF THE COMBS bikerhairdresser@yahoo.com  thank you YVONNE MOORE


Posts: 8

Curved Combs Come Home
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:54:26 PM
Please forgive if I'm mistaken, but I believe a Barber/Stylist in Memphis TN. is the originator of the curved combs you are discussing,and he still teaches classes on how to use the curved combs. His name is Kenny Alsup, and has a salon called of course Styles by Kenny. Give him a call, in the past, he was always interested in helping others with education.