Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Just out of school, and it SHOWS! How to answer the tough questions??
Posted By:
Posted By:scissor spaz on: 11/3/2005 1:50:46 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Just out of school, and it SHOWS! How to answer the tough questions??
scissor spaz

Just out of school, and it SHOWS! How to answer the tough questions??
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 1:50:46 PM

I've been out of school and working with my temporary permit for approximately four weeks. My first two weeks were much like a maid service ie; washing towels, filling the back bar, and shampooing other stylists clients. I was glad, as this gave me a chance to get the "feel" of the salon, and observe the other stylists and clients.

THEN.... we had several stylists out, and I was booked every thirty minutes for two days. I was so rushed, and so OVERWHELMED that everything I did turned out wrong. Now things have slowed down, and I'm back to taking the walk ins, and the desperate clients, but I seem to have lost all my confidence. Nothing seems to be coming natural, and the tension must be noticeable to the clients because I've had several clients ask, "how long have you been doing hair?" I told them I had just graduated, and you can just about see the look of dread on their faces as I continue to work on their hair. How do you handle these "uncomfortable" questions, and how long does it take to begin to feel somewhat comfortable or confident in this business?

xpressionista

Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 11:19:42 AM
People are always going to ask how long you have been doing hair.  Thats not a bad question, and we all have to start somewhere.  Since youre new and just starting, take advantage of every opportunity to train and advance that you get.

ponitail
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 9:15:30 PM

hey spaz, I think you get more comfortable in this business the longer your in it after about the first 100 heads your feeling fine, 500 much better 1000 fairly confident and so on,

xpressionista is right take classes and lots learn new cuts and color techniques. take at least 2 per year if you are on a tight budget. The only one that will make you a better stylist is you! figure out what you are weakest in and conquer it this will be less stress in a sometimes stressful business. Pray to the color Gods (it helps me) and when you bugger up it is actually OK because believe me if it is really bad you will always remember how to avoid that mistake next time. Breath, relax the speed will come with time. It sounds like you are exactly where you should be. Congratulate yourself when it turns out well, you have probably done more good jobs than bad ones, its just that the bad one have more impact on our confidence. Good luck to you (by the way you will continue to have days like that even after 20 years, just less of them!)

patience in one minute of anger can prevent one hundred days of sorrow!

Laura M.

Hang in there!
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 9:55:20 AM
Believe me, we have all been there! I know it is difficult just starting out. I was an assistant right out of school, and I had to shampoo for 14 stylists. My hands were raw and I was broke,and I was often reduced to errand girl (i.e. picking up lunch, dry cleaning, etc.). Try to roll with the ebb and flow, but do not take any abuse! Your traffic will probably take 9 months to a year to be really steady. Xpressionista gave some great advice, get as much education as you can!
To add to that, since I am such a chatterbox, believe in yourself! You can do it! When clients ask how long you've been doing hair, answer them then say, "I am so happy to have you here in my chair today!" if they express concern over you being so new tell them, " I promise I will take good care of you today!" There isn't a whole lot they can say back to that. ; )

The Notorious C-A-T!

wonderwoman

Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 2:41:08 PM
love the mistakes you make, cause those i have found to be my best education. when ever i did something wrong i would dwell on it until i figured out just where i went wrong. when i did figure it out, it felt sooooo good and i now know what to do in similar situations.plus, use those experiences to help others who are new. 

sarrah
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 3:12:33 PM
FAKE IT TIL' YOU MAKE IT!!!! Seriously, even if you are not confident right now you have to act like it. We have all felt like we have no idea what we're doing. You need to act confident until you start to feel confident. There were many times I was unsure and was dying inside but I convinced my client i knew what i was doing and it turned out i did.
A client every half hour is way too much for someone new to the salon. Talk to the owner and tell them you want to only book 45 minute cuts right now. Pretty soon your timing will be at a place where you can book on the half-hour.
Don't be discouraged. We are all our own worst critic. Instead of ripping on yourself and the talent you know you have, talk to yourself as if you are talking to your best friend. You would never tell your bf she sucks and doesn't know what she's doing and she probably should quit the industry. You would tell her she's smart and she knows her craft, you would encourage her and nurse her along. Do yourself a favor and be your own best friend!!!!!!
YOU WILL BE FINE. YOU WILL MAKE IT. TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY AND YOUR GOING TO DO THE BEST YOU KNOW HOW TO DO AND LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES.

xpressionista

u dont have 2 fake it...
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 6:11:17 PM

amazungly enough, there are people who dont mind having their hair done by newer stylists. usually because you have te smaller price and the smaller ego.....

just keep your chin up, focus on your career and never get too bigheaded to take classes and advance your education.  You can learn more in two or three years than you think.... some stylists get their beauty academy certificate  and thats it.  then they are stuck in their own little time warp.  Keep your talent fresh and the time youve been licensed wont matter.

del

Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 4:20:48 PM
when I was new I asked any available senior stylist in the backroom, give them the senerio and actually have them come look at the clients hair w/ me and advise on formulation tequnique etc..., it was an upscale salon, and the clients felt very secure and would thank me for getting a second opinion, Doctors do it why cant we , good luck -you remind me of me when I was new , dont give up , the more mistakes you make now the better you will become ,

jodeeoo

tought questions
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:18:14 PM
I still remember when I first started. I was asked that some how long ave you been doing hair. I got that same look af dread. then One night it dawned on me, They asked how ling I have been doing hair.not how long I have been licensed. so I started going from the time I started school I am not lieing I did hair in school. I did that for 2 years. as for the confidance part. every morning look in the mirror and tell yourself, I am great. i know what I am doing, I give the best haircuts. If you tell your self that you are the WOMAN you will boost you self esteem. you know what you are doing other wise you wouldnt have passed.

hairgoddess72

Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 3:44:30 PM
I hate to agree with "lying" but I do. I think people who ask how long you have been doing hair are just looking for an excuse to be disappointed. I really hate when people ask me when I am booking them if the stylist is any good! Like I'm going to say "Not really, she kinda sucks, maybe you should call someone else!" Please! When I was new at hair my standard answer was three years. Then when I got past my three year mark I was honest! I never had a problem from that. When someone asks me who  is the best in the salon at whatever, I say we are all equally talented and I am sure any one of us could make them happy. The one thing I NEVER lie about is how the finished product looks. If it is too gold, I tone, If it is too ash, I tone. If it is crooked or choppy, I smile and fix it. If you lie about a crappy job looking great, believe me when they get home someone is going to tell them the truth! Good luck and keep on going, someday someone will ask how long have you been doing hair and you will proudly say "Ten years!"

russnyc
Platinum Member

Just starting
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2006 7:28:13 PM
Hi,
Be honest about your abilities, but confident that you will be able to give them the look that they want.

I would perfect three searate looks for a woman, then personalize them for each person. You will quickly discover that men and women's shorter cuts are similar except you leave longer softness around the outline on a woman.

Have a systme. Someone told me that fifteen years ago, and it rings true. Always start a cut at the nape, work to the crown, then one side, and back to the other- then the top. I do EVERY cut the same, this way I if I have to walk away for a second, and come back, it is a lot like picking up a book where you left off.

Cut half of what you think you need to, and always cut wet to dry so you can see what curl and cowlicks will do when they dry.

Check in the mirror that the client's head is always even (gosh, I had the WORST client today that kept lolling over to the side! LOL)

Above everything, when you start to freak out, or get nervous, summon the courage that you ARE IN CONTROL. People get nervous if you get nervous.

Good luck!