Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Sick Of People
Posted By:
Posted By:doit on: 11/19/2005 6:20:22 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Sick Of People
doit

Sick Of People
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2005 6:20:22 PM

People make me crazy.  I give up.  My salon does these stupid coupons for free cut/blow with color service.  What happens is you get the dingdongs with waist length super thick horses tails and they expect you to style it into a silky shiny mane and you are never booked the extra time it takes to perform such magic.  The coupon people are the biggest pains in the pitooties and they usually don't come back.  I cringe everytime I get a coupon person or someone with superlongthickhorsehair. 

I'm sick of people expecting me to entertain them as I work on their hair.  Like I'm supposed to be the keynote speaker.

I sick of customers thinking they can just sit in my chair or sit on my cutting stool if I walk away for one minute.

I sick of customers parading the whole darn family back to watch.  I am not a stage performer. 

I'm sick of owners making us work our day off during a holiday week.  Yes, we have to make up for getting Thanksgiving and Christmas off.  We are penalized for national holidays.   A holiday for me is not an easy day off.  It's work being around family.  It makes me hate the holidays and my owner.

All my owner cares about is moneymoneymoneymoney.  He's always buying some new car and his wife never wears the same outfit twice and the money we bring in is never enough.  Our vacation pay is a joke and we get no healthcare or 401K.

Yes I had a crappy day and I'm venting.   

xpressionista

im sick of people too...
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2005 8:45:06 PM

sometimes I wish they could just send their hair in to be taken care of and that they would stay at home...  i wish i could be paid for counseling and self esteem...i wish people would take the "no children unless being serviced " sign seriously...i wish all coworkers were as pleasant as the pleasant ones... i wish owners would see the art in this profession...  i wish i had angelina jolies lips, jenifer anistons hair, and paris hiltons butt (lol)...

sounds like doit needs a hug...

its saturday night, relax release and get ready for next week....

itll be better, i promise...

doit

Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2005 11:22:41 PM

I like doing hair, I just wish I could turn certain people into mannequins.  Or better yet, I'd like to zap them with a stun gun until they shut up and sit still.  I think I'm usually good at hair, but days like this make me want to chuck it all. 

My 15 year old dog also died two weeks ago.  I miss her so much.  People with their stupid precious hair can just kiss my big flat behind because they mean nothing to me.    

I feel like being anti-holiday this year.  I think I'll rent horror/slasher movies and ditch the Christmas tree this year.  I hope all the people that poop all over service workers this holiday get nothing but bags of dirty rocks from Santa.  That is my holiday wish.   

thelook

Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 5:44:10 AM
doit    Sorry for your bad day.  We all have them.  I used to have a bench in the area where I do hair but I decided to move it out because it drives me crazy when all the family members and friends have to give all their opinions and chatter.  All the other things you say are so true about our clients, but you are obviously seeing the negative side right now.   I hope before the holidays hit too hard you get to take a couple days off and relax.  We hear you.

thelook

Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 5:45:26 AM
p.s.   you are totally cracking me up with your wicked humor

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 8:36:54 AM

hey doit-
we've ALL definitely been there-i can 'feel' ya.  take charge of the situation as much as you can.  YOU yourself or by speaking with that owner.  you shouldn't have a crowd around while working with chemicals or sharp instruments and for this same reason clients should not be bopping around in the chair.  if we don't sternly say anthing and stick to it-they will think it's OK to continue the behaviour.  tell them right from the beginning of the appointment after the consult-what YOU expect (no moving or the cut will be 'off', no cell phone etc. whatever you need to have happen).  set the rules and stick with them or dismiss the client from your space.  as for the coupons-speak with the owner.  if he is so money hungry- you asking to make stipulations on the coupon will be a welcomed suggestion.  such as 'additional charges maybe applied for longer/thicker etc. hair'. (even newspaper ads have stipulations.  since you're taking more product and time to do the hair, it would make sense business wise and work wise.  he'll make more money and hopefully more time would be slotted for this type of client's hair.  the receptionist should inquire whether the client has seen you before and then ask about the length and texture etc of the hair.

so sorry about your dog.....i know how that is as well.

now get involved and don't back down you can DOIT!!!!!

xpressionista

grinch
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 9:15:09 AM
i like horror movies during the holiday season... This industry kills the holidays for me.  the clients cant seem to remember that you want to enjoy these three holidays too, so we   lose out.  and you cant vacation during this time.  i like to poke fun at my clients, laugh out loud and not tell them why, etc.  just to get me through. nothing offensive though. it gets rough but it pays off.

Laura M.

Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 8:32:04 AM
You are not alone! We all have days when clients make us nuts. Especially during the holidays. You'd think people would be in ggod cheer, but usually itis the time of year when people are the crankiest and most demanding. I have had more than one Christmas or Thanksgiving ruined by work. It took me a long time to learn how to leave work at work. Having a good boss definatley helps. Sorry to hear about your dog! I have three cats and if I lost any of them, it would be like loosing a child to me. The holidays are rough if you've lost anyone you love and that includes pets.
What drives me nuts about my clients is how they are always telling me deeply personal stuff that it sometimes too much information. Clients really do tell their hairdressers everything. Believe me, I am no prude, but I have had clients tell me things about their sexlives I could have gone the rest of my life without hearing! I could write a book. Try to keep the joy of the Holidays in your heart, and when all else fails picture your clients bald or with a giant green mohawk. I find that always makes me laugh!
The Notorious C-A-T!

sarrah
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 8:54:04 PM
I am also tired of people. For some reason it seems like all the jerk-off clients come in on one day. Then a couple days later I'll have all my fave clients. I always make sure my nice clients know how much i appreciate them. Don't get me wrong, I am very proffesional and not rude to my bratty clients. Usually I just try to kill them with kindness. I can be very passive-aggressive. Not great in the personal life but great in this business.
On saturday my client put her purse on the wrong station and I told her, then went to move it for her and she told me not to touch her belongings. Smile and nod, smile and nod.

runswithscissors
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 4:43:45 AM
xpressiona, I like the idea of have a no child sign.  Our owner has a baby and when she comes into the salon to collect the deposits she will literally through her baby at me and say watch her a minuet.  Not to metion when her older one is there coloring on everything on the front desk.  They come in like a tornado and leave a huge mess for all of us.  They are nice people so here I am venting to you guys.  Today I'm bringing coloring and children books to keep at the desk.  Maybe she'll get a hint....maybe not.

doit

Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 5:34:30 AM

Thanks for the support.  I am in kind of a funk right now.  I too have many great clients that have been loyal to me for years that I enjoy being with.  I try to hold on to that.  And I do plan on telling them this again this holiday season.

I work in an affluent suburb.  Lots of professionals and lots of soccer moms.  I think high maintenance types just go with that territory.  It seems like I've been on quite a run lately though.  I've even had some nice people lately that loved what I did for the first few appointments and then got nitpicky and then stopped coming.  So it makes me wonder if I'm off my game or those people just weren't the right fit for me.

I don't know what to do about the kid problem either.  I have many clients that have great well behaved kids.  Lots of parents seem oblivious to their unruly children.   

hues4you
Platinum Member

doit
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 6:23:58 AM

doit-

Thank you for being so honest in your thread!  I have enjoyed reading it.  And I think many others have also.  And you know what??  It is so very true.  And I am very sorry about your dog also.  It seems that it all piles up at one time.  Boom there it is!  And burnout hits us so hard in the face.  Do not think I have not felt everything you have so been thru.  And I think it is wonderful that so many caring people have been here to guide you thru this.  So big hugs to you!  Loosing clients are tough.  Sometimes personalities just don't click, but you know in the long run, it is for the best.  So don't beat yourself up.  Some people see a cut or a color and come in from a referral and just don't come back.  We have all had that.  It's like that circle of friend soccer mom thing.  They all want to come to the same person.  Then they see the next soccer mom with a new do and then go try that moms hairdresser out, and off they go.  Then you see them 6 months later.  You care, and that makes a difference.......and that makes you good.  I know you know what I am talking about.  Some people wouldn't even notice they had lost a few clients, let alone talk about it on a talk back board.  Just keep on reaching out, because by sharing here.......you let others know they are not alone and it's ok for them to share too. 

I will share this.  I was feeling kinda down booked solid at the holidays.  Going thru a divorce.  I just couldn't do it one day.  I didn't feel it.  I just did not have it in me to really care if I made the clients happy or not.  I was making them happy.  Kinda like on auto pilot.  But just going thru the motions.  I wasn't as talkative as usual.  So I decided I really needed to leave, as I needed a mental health day.  So I told the mgr I have to go.  She said "Cindy, you can't leave!  You are the only one in here booked solid!"  I said, "I know.  But I just don't care, I don't have it in my.  I hope you understand what I am about to tell you, but I really don't care if I make them happy and that is not fair to them.  I think if one of them complained, I just wouldn't care."  Not that is scary.  She told me I was so very blessed to be in my situation.  I told I knew that, but I just didn't feel it right now.  She said she was not going to let me leave.  I told her, well, I am anyways.  Yes, I know that I was not listening to my mgr, but I also know I was with that company for 16 years, I know what is necessary to serve those clients, I could not give them 100% and as a professional I had to leave.  So she was going to have to deal with it or fire me.  I told her I would call them and rebook them and work them back in.  She gave me a hug and off I went.  A little down time and rest seemed to pull me thru even if it was for an afternoon.

So it's the funk.  You are good at what you do and you care.  So I feel for you.........and you will make it thru this.

Cindy Farr Hester   Asst Moderator

www.behindthechair.com

nicole
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 2:31:16 PM

No matter what you are going to have bad days and clients who drive you insane, there are people who analyze everything, at every point in the cut, funny thing is can they really tell if you are doing it right.  I have always believed that you shouldn't judge a cut or colour or whatever until it's done, it's obviously not going to look perfect halfway through, wait till the end and then speak.  You know something though, when it's hard and you have more clients to do but don't want to, think of the clients you like and the wonderful moments that you have had with your clients, it cheers me up alot when I think it's hard.  When you need a break like was mentioned then take one.....clients will understand and so will your boss (hopefully) no point in burning out and not performing your best.  I hate to say it but all careers have their good days and bad, even students in school do.  There are days that you don't want to do anything and other days where you feel on top of the world.  Sometimes clients don't click with you and that's okay too, to them you weren't what they were looking for and for you they weren't what you wanted as a client...it's normal.  Cheer up, and I'm sorry about your dog too...I love dogs too! Everything will get better in time, and just as a reminder you are in a great career...you get to make people beautiful....and sometimes that comb is a magic wand!

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

TOO BAD!
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2005 7:33:51 PM
Hair dressing would really be fun if the hair were not attached to living human beings!
Hmmmm..."mortician" is sounding pretty good 'bout now!
Taya

xpressionista

Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2005 7:19:06 PM
The worst clients make the best lones seem that much better.  Does anyone else have a salon crier?  I had one in my last salon that would come for braids and when the girls would braid her hair, she would complain the whole time ( usually took two days for her) then, without fail, she would call back 2 days later crying about how she went to the nightclub and sweated her extensions up and now her hair is matted, whah whah whah, shell never come back.  Then shell call me at the salon and ask if after she takes her 300 dollar braids down ( usually 1 week later) if I could relax, cut, and style her hair.  Then she'll come back one month later wanting  braids again repeating the whole process.  She tells me Im the only one who understands her and she never complains about my work, only the braids she gets when she wants extra long hair.  I just do my part and laugh silently at her because I know that her self esteem is extemely low ( she needs her friends approval for every style, and cries if they dont like it).  She has been booted from every salon on the southside of atlanta.   After dealing with her, everyone else just seemed so angelic.

runswithscissors
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 6:54:03 AM
I have a client with anxiety problems.  She is my client because the girl who had been doing her hair (for years, in the same shop) carries a certain energy that was intimidating the client.  And I was little surprised to see the other hand over her formulas with such a smile on her face.  Now I know why.  This woman gets the same color, highlite, and cut every time.  But she is always shook to have her hair done.  The first time I did it and she was nervous I understood.  But I have done her hair no for almost a year and every time she is so nervous she can hardly sit down.  She asks questions, like whats this? did you make sure you mixed it right? She even asks why when I take her to the shampoo bowl to wash the color out...  I smile and practice being patient, but it gets kinda frustrating to keep smiling when she doesn't trust you at all!  Then a whole 2and a half hours later she gushes about how great it looks makes another appt. and goes on her merry way leaving me exhausted!  She takes so much of my energy keeping her happy that I make sure to book her at the end of the day on a Saturday, that way I have all weekend to recouporate.

salondiva
Silver Member

TOP THIS!!
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 10:27:16 AM

Had a new client that my owner booked for me for a mani, pedi, facial, cut and color......

This person is from India, husband makes big bucks, she has 3 live-ins, blah blah blah!!  She came in at 1:00 with level 2 hair, and proceeded to tell me (I had owner listen in to give advice) that she did not want to look "indian" and wanted her hair light with streaks in it.....Together, the 3 of us decided to highlite HEAVILY her whole head, she had bra length hair one length a chestnut color(by Scruples blazing)....Took 2 hours to foil......while she was processing I did her facial, and pedicure.... After the facial she informed me that in India they did facials differently and she would "teach me how to do a correct facial"  (she snored during facial)after the pedi she informed me that in India they did pedi's different and she would "teach me how to do one correctly"...Did mani, all except painting nails and she informed me.........

anyway, when the foils came off she was very unhappy because she still had more black hair than chestnut hair.  By this time it was 5:30 and we were closing......she informed me that her husband was bringing her twin 8 month old daughters in and I was to cut one twins bangs/////"only take 2 minutes"   Owner said ok, *(trying to please i guess) and in comes husband,  i proceeded to cut twins bangs and after 15 minutes it got her ok....she was very unhappy with color and wanted the shop to stay open so we could highlite more, but owner said NO, she would have to come back....her nanny was there as well and she said she would come to her house to watch twins and the woman said she would return at 9 am.....

asked me what her total would be, i told her the cost of each service and she DEDUCTED THE HAIR COLOR AMOUNT and said she would pay for that when her hair was done properly....

she did not show the next day, owner called and she said sitter did not show up, we could come to her house for the rest of the money...we called her husband and he said he would come by to pay the extra, but in the middle of the afternoon she called and said husband was mad because we called him....she was going to come in as soon as she could to get her hair done, but guess what that was almost 2 weeks ago....

I know i should have gotten all of the money but I really don;t think she would have given it to me......

I am really po'd about this whole business, not to mention my bursitis is KILLING ME!!!! 

anyone else care to top this????

doit

Indians
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 11:04:53 AM

I've had enough rocky experiences with the Indian clientele to cringe whenever I do one.  I'm not meaning to sound racist, but this is just my experience.  (I also recently had an Indian male client who was as nice as he could be).

I've had them question every little thing I was doing, be very abrupt and generally standoffish, scrutinize their hair in the mirror from every possible angle for an awfully long time, complain about how in India haircuts are dirt cheap,  change their mind midstream, or say "Just cut a little all over and then I'll decide if I want more off".  Some have poor English and that's a whole other discussion.   

xpressionista

oh yeah? 4 salon diva
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 11:23:01 AM

Ive had indian clients who WONT pay more than $5 for a haircut while working in an african braid shop.  The owners are so busy trying to get the money that they dont realize that the stylists are selling themselves short.  Im not racist either, but its crazy how Im african american and i am told that americans are nothing and america is no good by africans.  Not only that, but they want to pay less than the indians for their services, Then the owner hires anyone from africa, lets them come in and perform chemicals with no licenses, and say that it is okay because they learned to do it in italy.  Then they say that 35 is too much for a relaxer, haircut, condition, and style.  I ask them, well, how much should it cost then? then they get offended.  I caouldnt understand it.  They say that the white man has brainwashed me and now i am spoiled (or no good) and that i shouldnt use white products or do white clients....

Needless to say i ran as fast as my legs would carry me.  I dont even know if the salon is licensed, i know the owner is and she refuses to take continuing education, saying why should she? she already has a license.  Let this be an example of the way I dont want to be when i grow up.....

AlenaL
Bronze Member

Client Grief!
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 11:48:30 AM

I've had an Indian client also that wanted me to shave her one year old daughter's head. Then she brought her son in who is 6 and was in his face the entire time I cut his hair. She made a 10 minute cut take 25 and nothing was ever exactly right to her. She wanted his hair no shorter than 2 inches....I just couldn't understand.

So you want to know if I shaved the little girl's hair right? lol...HELL No. I wouldn't. I charge 10 dollars for children under 6 and I can live without that. What got me is that  she wanted the boys hair longer than hers??? and her reason for wanting to shave her head is because it is "too hot" here. Give me break. Lol, thankfully she started going to the girl next to me for her son and gets someone else to buzz the girl.

I'm scared now though from reading the other post...This woman called me 15 min ago (I'm at home on lunch)  and said she has been going to a girl for 20, I repeat 20!!! years and said her stylist said "I don't think you are happy with me...I have to let you go" gave her the formula and out the door.  She said, I LOVE HER??? I am a little worried now lol...this could be a problem on the way..but that's ok. Money is money.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Weird huh?
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 11:52:49 AM
I to have the strangest experiences with Indian clientele. The men come in and they all say the same thing - medium. OK, your medium and my medium may be too different things. The other thing they do is ask for a #2 on the sides. When I first realized that they have no idea what a #2 is I started using a #4 without telling them. They complained that it was too short. Can you imagine what would have happened if I DID use the #2?
The other thing they do is only tip one or two bucks. Most of them DO NOT want a shampoo but I make them shampoo anyway because they like to put oil in their hair. It's like they have a club that decides what they will all say when they come in. Strange isn't it?

salondiva
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 12:13:16 PM

i have decided that when she does call in for me to "do her hair correctly" I am going to say I am sorry, but  I just don't think that I am the stylist for you...as far as the money is concerned, I am not going to drive myself crazy about it.......I really don;t want to ever do her again......she says if she likes a place she is a regular customer and she pays well, but if I saw her name on my book I would go home sick before I did her again!!! 

Why is their behavior so demeaning toward us???  and why do they not want to look like they came from India?>  she said she is the only one in her family with olive skin and black hair, everyone else has fair skin, (they bleach their skin~~~) and have lightened hair?  are they ashamed or what????  I personally don;t ever want to do another one again!!!

mina
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 12:32:19 PM

Alenal... run fast.  If the other stylist took 20 years to get up the nerve- just imagine what kind of client she is going to be.  Obviously she is NEVER pleased.

As for clients saying #2's and what have you I have news for all stylists:

It is YOUR JOB to COMMUNICATE with your client.  Not GRAB the clippers if they call out a number.  When a client says they want a number #2... yes, some do know what they are talking about- the fact is, all clippers, guards and blades are not all the same.  You must then say, ok.  Do you want it so short that you can see the scalp?  Or not that short?  Keep asking questions and looking at pictures and until you KNOW EXACTLY what they want, do NOT start cutting.  They will appreciate it, they will be educated and they are likely to stay as your client.  Using a longer guard didn't work, because you still didn't know how short the client actually wanted the hair.  So honestly, being the professional, who's fault was it that the hair was too short?  Clients are not professional stylists- they do not know terms, sizes of guards, or color formulas.  Yet so many stylists let clients dictate what is done to their hair.

A lot of stylists don't know that communication is valued more than technical skills.  Don't believe me?  Ask yourself why so many mediocre stylists make 6 figure incomes.  It is because they communicate and create a relationship with their clients.

Salondiva:

I love how clients say " I don't mind paying good money..." as if that is a carrot dangling in front of your face.  They think their money justifies the way the behave.  In reality no money in the world is worth a pain in the ass client.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 12:53:43 PM
Mina,
I know all about communication with the client and you're right. It is OUR job to make sure that we understand what they want. But you know what, sometimes it's just fun to do what they say and snap on that #2! Ha-ha! I have spent so much time with these lousy tippers cutting their hair twice in the same hour and going over and over with them how short a #2 really is and they act like I'm an idiot. So I have to admit, sometimes I just don't argue. I do what they say knowing full well that they probably have no idea how short a #2 is. That's one way to weed out the pain in the butts.
SIGNED,
UNPROFESSIONAL AND MEAN SPIRITED,
TAYA

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 1:40:22 PM

I learned the hard way about the client & the clipper numbers....this guy asked for #1!!! he really wanted #2 & when I said let me do it with the #2 and we'll see- he poo-ed poo-ed that and told me to use the #1. So how could I know he was clueless? he was so convincing & then he said his hair looked awful & he was going gambling that night & needed his hair to look right and now it didn't.     ???????    wacko.

If they say #2, then go with #3!! or to be really safe #4. If they ever say #1....don't do it without making sure that this guy knows it will make him pretty BALD!

It's better to take a little off & take more if need be than to take too much and give them the opportunity to bad mouth your haircuts!

mina
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 6:39:44 PM

Actually it's better to cut scissor and clipper over comb- then prove to them that the haircut looks better and more finely detailed.  That is how you turn a know-it-all client into a loyal gracious one who trusts you and hangs on your every word.  When a new client sits down and says, oh I want a #3.  I simply say "are you happy with your hair"?  If they answer yes, I ask why they are sitting in my chair and not the last person that cut it.  If they say no, I ask why are you asking for the same haircut you always get, if you don't like it?  Then I ask, how long has it been since your last cut?  From that answer I know how much it has grown and I ask was it too long or short last time?  Or was the length just right?  Sometimes these questions tell the client you really care about what you are about to do.  It also shows them how much more knowledgable you are.  When the hair is cut right, no matter how much the talk and fuss- they won't do it again.  Most clients who talk too much and think they know it all have never had a good cut.  Once you prove yourself, they usually shut up.  My guys sit down and either say to me do whatever you want (and I get to be creative) or they ask what I think.  It is how you present yourself as to whether you are taken seriously as a professional or not.

Don't get me wrong, I use clippers (Oster Turbo 111) and I have all the blades.  But I never ever do a clipper cut without first going clipper over comb and going shorter and shorter to determine what length they want.  Then I always finish the cut with scissor and/or blending shear over comb at the end.  It gets rid of hard edges and because all heads are not shaped evenly- gets rid of any dark patchy areas and makes the haircut look a little lived in and less like they went to a barber.

Laura M.

Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 9:09:01 AM
Ok...I'm chiming in on this one a little late, but why do soem people not want to look their ethnicity. I mean, make whatever choices you want, it's a free country. I just don't get it personally. Being a naturally nondescript caucasian (mostly Irish-American), I have always wanted to be an exotic beauty. This is something that I have run into several times over the years, and it bothers me when a client tells me they don't want to look Asian or Indian or what have you. I once had a client with an absolutely beautiful multiracial child. The girl was about eight years old and had a headful of gorgeous chestnut ringlets. All they needed was care with the proper product. The mother kept asking me about straightening and kept saying, "I wish she didn't have such awful hair!" Every time she said it the little girl's spirits would sink lower and lower. Finally, I said I thought her hair was lovely, and pulled the mother aside and explained to her that she was destroying her daughter's self esteem. She was completely shocked. It had never occured to her that what she was saying was hurtful. They eventually moved away, but prior tot he move she never said anything like that in front of me (hopefully anywhere) again. Not to open a can of worms, but any thoughts on the subject?
The Notorious C-A-T!

missygirl

People with mental problems
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 7:12:24 PM
I have two clients that have serious mental problems and they are on heavy meds. I try to be very understanding as they have both discussed their problems with me. It is so hard to see this one lady, who is bi-polar because she wears me out. I need a drink when she leaves, but I'm a professional and I have to SMILE and pretend that I love seeing her. Our jobs sometimes we have to love it because with hard clients we have to love it or get out.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 9:15:53 PM

Yes Laura, I have also taken clients aside when I hear them bemoaning their child's hair, e.g. "She has awful thin hair just like mine" or "His father has the same cowlick which makes the hair stand up in the back"...You are right and brave to communicate to them how they are hurting their children's psyches and self-esteem... good for you.

This cowlick business makes me laugh too, usually they are trying to make the hair go back on the crown when it grows forward and they seem amazed when I comb the hair and it goes down. Almost every week I get someone in the chair who wants bangs but has a hairline which grows back or toward each ear in the front. I try to explain that a haircut can't change the fundamental nature of the hair but they often seem amazed. The other one that I love is the client with straight flat hair who wants layers to 'give it fullness'...As if layering the hair will somehow make it lift up at the scalp (or roots, as they like to say)...Too many commercials talking about root-lift products, (even some professional lines refer to root-lift)...Of course as we all know, the roots are under the scalp, so lifting them would be difficult and probably painful too!

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 10:35:16 PM
I had to chime in on this one.  First off i want to say that if i ever see anyone being rude or condescending to there child i am the first person to get annoyed.  However i think the whole thing about saying your child has thin hair is damaging to there psyche is a little overboard.  I really think that most people complain about there hair, and in my experiance when a mother comes in and talks about how awful her kids hair is, that the kid pretty much just ignores her.  It's not that big of a deal.  I do have to say that i am always amazed at how much parents seem to be involved with there kids hair though.  Almost as if it were there own, my parents never cared what i did with my hair, or how long it was or anything like that.  They complemented me on it, and sometimes liked to fool with it, but whatever i did with it was my concern.

doit

Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 5:50:58 AM

Ah yes, parents.  My peeves are the parents that bring their little scamps in while they get a service and bring nothing for their kids to do.  And we know what bored little kids do.  It also bugs me when parents of toddlers totally ignore them.  On Saturday a toddler starting taking stuff off my rollabout.  They were just clippies but sometimes I lay my shears on the top.  Just imagine.  I'm working in an adult environment and my job is not babysitter, especially when the parent is right there.  I also can't stand the hovering parents of older kids.  Jeez, let your kid breathe on their own once in a while is what I want to say.

We have signs up front that say do not leave you children unattended.  But nobody reads or cares about signs do they?  I was in a gift shop recently that had a sign "All unattended children will receive a free kitten".  Love it.  I think we need this sign, "All unattended children receive a pair of newly sharpened shears". 

runswithscissors
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 6:18:52 AM
Actually my hair is thin, flat and slippery.  I have short layers, and when I use a root spray(any brand seems to do it), some bed head superstar, blow dry,and bing, bang, boom, I have the illusion of big thick hair.  Yes it may not exactly be the root I'm spraying it on but I'd be lost w/o it.  I just explain to my clients w/ hair like me that there is no miracle and all of the thicking/lifting products aren't meant to "thicking"  but to aid with blow drying to create a fuller look with out weighing the hair down like mousse or gel.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 8:14:34 PM
I simply refute the idea of any product 'lifting' the hair from the scalp (the roots), it's just nonsense. The way to get the hair to be full and lifted is to do what was done in the days when lifted and full hair was in style, i.e. the 1950's and early 60's, and that's set it on rollers. You can't achieve this with blow-drying and iron-styling, you need the 'on-base' roller lift. 99% of the styles that you see in magazines and runway shows have been set with rollers.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 8:21:03 PM

To doit...

The best way to handle this coupon thing is to not include styling in the deal. It sometimes takes as long, or longer, to blow and style a head of hair, as it does to cut it. Unless it's short or fine hair which can be done in 5-6 minutes it's best to just put them under the dryer to dry off. Blow-drying and styling long hair is too much hard work to include in a color deal. Perhaps it should be cut OR blow-styling included, but not both. The salon owner should see the sense in this too after all he/she has to absorb the product (color) cost too, so there's not much profit being made. If the client has to pay for the 'extra' service, everybody makes out better.

runswithscissors
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 4:56:06 AM
Brit boy I agree.  Nothing getts lift (and hold) like a roller-set.  But if I were to wear my thin flat hair any higher than the "root" spray makes it I might be laughed back to Jersey. 

sarrah
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 10:47:42 PM
I "power" dried my clients hair using two pumps shine serum then Kenra Root Lifting Spray and her hair had so much volume she was very impressed. I have alot of clients who use the Kenra product and I always stress to them that lift comes from the scalp area. They love this product and it really does work. Obviously we all know that you're not lifting the "roots" of the hair. However, you do need to make your client comfortable and not sound like a pompous a** but reinforce the correct verbage to them.

runswithscissors
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 5:45:03 AM
We're not lifting from the root of the hair, but what are we coloring?  These companies have just used a term clients are used too.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 12:46:53 AM

To runs with scissors...

Mousse does not weigh the hair down, it evaporates and provides weightless body actually, it's gel that weighs the hair down because it doesn't 'dissappear' like mousse.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 12:49:28 AM
We are coloring the 're-growth' or the new-growth. Why would you allow 'these companies' to put words in your mouth? Think for yourself...

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 12:58:05 AM
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 10:47:42 PM

I "power" dried my clients hair using two pumps shine serum then Kenra Root Lifting Spray and her hair had so much volume she was very impressed.

Tried it on 'glassy' one-length hair? Useless. Of course it can provide fullness on the right head, but it will not create height and volume on top of most heads which is what the clients like...Only roller setting will accomplish that.

I have alot of clients who use the Kenra product and I always stress to them that lift comes from the scalp area.

This we all know, where else would it come from? But no 'product' will create lift, it needs to be put in with the right tools, in this case rollers.

They love this product and it really does work. Obviously we all know that you're not lifting the "roots" of the hair.

Then why do you keep saying so?

However, you do need to make your client comfortable and not sound like a pompous a** but reinforce the correct verbage to them

I was talking to you hairstylists, not the clients.

Genevieve*is*odd

I will add to this....
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 7:33:27 PM

Back to the true meaning of this "thread"

I am new to BTC-Hello

A bad day for me consists of the following, and all of these things have happened to me.  After 2 years of gaining experience in a busy, low end salon.    I will be opening my own salon in the near future

-yes I agree with the children coming into the salon. We used to have these blocks the kids used to play with while waiting for their parents.  The would all smash together in the plastic container and make this noise that would drive me insane. Needless to say, I put those blocks where they belonged...in the garbage. They were probably covered on germies anyways.  Now we have educational books for them to read, and everything is quiet. I guess when they arent screaming.

-once, I was cutting this mothers hair, as her little daughter grabbed all my stuff and asked "whats this?"  "whats this" GRRRR! her mother wasn't saying anything, so I told the girl to read a book, or play with blocks...or whatever was there at the time.  The little girl didnt go away, and the mother still wasn't saying anything!! The little girl picked up my hand mirror, and as I was telling her to put it down, she dropped it and it smashed into pieces all around her. Her mom finally said something....."watch our for the glass sweetie" no sorry, no nothing. Its hard to control yourself in a situation like this. Somehow I did.

-my station, right beside the waiting room = people sitting and staring at every move I make, and listening to every word I say.

-once I caught a guy masterbating under the drape.  Need I say more? 

Thats all for now!!!

Genevieve*is*odd

Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 7:36:36 PM
I just read over my post and I sound like a huge grumpy Bi***.  Which is the total opposite of me.

CopaGirl
Bronze Member

I'm not sick of people--today...
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 8:22:17 PM
Genevieve*is*odd- I just had to welcome you to the site, I just love your name! Also- you don't sound like a b--ch, you are very funny!

hues4you
Platinum Member

Genevieve*is*odd
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 7:55:48 AM
Genevieve*is*odd

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  We look forward to your participation!

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

www.behindthechair.com

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 9:36:46 PM
That's hillarious i have had some awful experiances with kids.  They can be so obnoxious.  It's not really ever the kids though, it's mostly the parents.  I had one kid while i was flat ironing a persons hair, it was a chi and they get hot, maybe it's my imagination but they seem way hotter that curling irons, and the kid kept running past me, and he almost tripped on the cord.  I just kept picturing him getting accidentally burnt on the flat iron.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

OK I'LL SAY IT....
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 4:53:27 AM
So here it is....I HATE CUTTING KIDS HAIR! I hate chasing their heads around. I hate the dodging they do of the water bottle, I hate booster seats, I hate the fact that they don't fit into the sink properly, I hate that I have to stop every 2 minutes for them to scratch, itch, pick their noses, wipe the hair off their capes, I hate doing anything with kids hair - even my own kids! I have maybe 2% of kids who are completely cooperative when I cut their hair. I see the other 98% of kids on my salon list and I cringe! And then I have a few younger teens who drive me NUTS. I've heard them screaming at other stylists in the salon. They want blow-outs, tapes, spikes and razor cuts. When you see these same kids out in public they never do their hair according to the cut they asked for because you can barely get them to use shampoo in the shower let alone put gel or product in their hair. AHHHHHHH! I'm on my way to the funny farm now.
Taya
PS - If kids were all bald I wouldn't have any problem with them at all!

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 6:05:35 AM
lol. well spoken!

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 11:34:36 PM
Hey Tayalynn, do yourself a favor and simply don't do any more kids hair. You know it's not really that profitable and if it aggravates you you'll just get grumpier as time goes by. It's just a matter of time before you cut the ear off some little tyke, so quit while you're ahead?

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 5:01:02 AM
too true Tayalynn & take Bb's advice-just make it a new policy not to do people under a 'certain' age.  i don't take anyone under the age of 12.  what a blessing it has been.  even though people over that age can still be buggers............

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 9:49:08 AM
Britboy,
Oh, if only, if only I owned my own salon and made my own rules. As it is I work for a chain and I can not tell you how many people have filed lawsuits against this chain for sending their kids out with 1/2 a haircut. They claim discrimination so we can not fully refuse any child that comes in. We can give the boot to those who are a danger to themselves or to us. We have never had a successful suit that I know of regarding the demon children.
In 7 years when my husband retires from the military I will open my own salon and a child's haircut will cost just as much as an adult's haircut. Most people will not pay that much and will head on over to the el' cheapo family chain salon like I work at! If they are willing to pay what I ask the I'll at least have more incentive to deal with the little tykes. Until he gets out we move every 2-3 years so I have to stick with chains at least to have those walk-in's. By the time I've built up a great clientele even in a chain salon it is time for us to leave again. At least with a chain I never sit on my hands too long!
Taya

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 10:15:09 AM

Having a high price for children's haircuts is very effective, only a handful of people will pay premium for their kid's haircuts. So you wil be able to edge them out without looking negative towards children. It worked for me, you wouldn't believe how many people dragged their rambunctious children out of the salon when I told them what I charge for kidcuts.

doit

Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 6:33:55 PM
Tayalyn:  Maybe you could have a talk with your manager.  Just say kids cuts aren't really your strength and you'd like to not to do them anymore.  At least request not to do them if someone else is available.  Or, if you are on really good terms with the front desk, maybe they can field them to others.  Surely there are stylists in your salon that don't mind the little scamps. 

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 6:36:25 PM

Yes, a child's cut that takes time should be charged for the time, not just an arbitrary 'Kids' price.

It always amazes me when people, (both men and women) ask me "how much do you charge for a man's cut"? Of course I always answer "The same as a woman's", which is not only the law in California but the only sensible reply. I just don't know how hairstylists who are cutting a female client's hair for $40.00 e.g. can tell a male that his cut will be $25.00. Can you imagine a restaurant doing that? Or a dentist? Even women, calling for men ask the same question. How stupid and pathetic can you get?

Incidentally, I understand that there's a private Member's bill in the Ontario (Canada) legislation to make illegal the price difference.

jodeeoo

getting out of kids cuts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:46:39 PM
I actually know of a guy who went to his psycoligist and got him to write a letter to the manager say that me could not cut style shampoo ect any one who acted under the age of 15 because it caused to much mental strain.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:50:13 PM
I did try talking to the manager - and I'm on very good terms with her. I told her that kids really aren't my forte. She just lauged at me and said basically - too bad, you have to do them. It's really not fair to pass off the cheaper priced tots to other stylists either. I imagine I'd be tarred and feathered by the staff inside a Saturday afternoon if I tried that number! For now I'll do them and dream about the day when I don't have to!
Taya
Britboy,
I think it should be illegal to charge kids less then adults as well - just for the record. That's discrimination against adults isn't it?! Ha-ha!

doit

Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 3:30:05 AM
Tayalynn:  Then I would suggest to the manager that you stipulate that kids cuts are x amount of dollars on up and that additional charges apply to extra time.  You warn the parent when you suspect you are heading into taking more time.  I also think you are within your rights to refuse belligerent children for safety reasons.  It's ridiculous to use sharp intruments on kids that act like monkeys.  Don't be shy about getting the parent involved-say you need them to distract them or hold them or control them or you cannot go further. 

thestylediva

You're singing to the choir!!!!!!!!
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 3:27:08 AM

Tayalynn, I TOTALLY agree with what you're about those darn kids! They are crazy!!! I had one who was I suppose was about 3 or 4. His mother brought him in, sat him in my chair, and promptly left. She went to the other side of the side to look at the  retail area. She just strolled through the salon looking at everything while her son jumped all over the place and screamed. Every now and then, she would pop back around the corner to yell at him to be quiet, then she was off again! One of the receptionists came over to occupy him while him while I was cutting, and she gave him my spray bottle to play with. After I had to catch him in midair to keep from cutting him, me or the receptionist, AND after 20 minutes of lifting him back up in the chair, I said that's it. I told him mom to come and get him, because by then, we were all soaking wet, and I was tired of chasing him. She had the nerve to tell me his hair wasn't the way she wanted it, the receptionist told her "too bad", if you wanted it a certain way, then YOU should have been over here not me, and she can't cut what she can't your kid's head still long enough to see.

And speaking of being sick of people, what about clients who are 30 mins or more late for their  appt, and get an attitude when you call to find out if they are coming?

One of the nail techs in our salon had a regular customer who was really late, so she had the receptionist call her on her cell to see if she was still coming. The young lady called the client, and the client said she was right outside. When she did come in, all hell broke loose! She can in screaming at the girl at the desk, telling her how dare she call her on her cell to ask her where she was. She went over to the pedicure area, and really showed off! At first I couldn't hear everything because I was in the supply closet. Then I heard "That little b**** has no business calling me, a f*** her !" The receptionist went over there to let her know that she heard her, meanwhile, the nail tech wasn't sayng anything beacause she thought it was funny. Finally the idiot decided to quiet down, and finish getting her service. At the end when she was leaving, instead of just paying and going she started again with the receptionist. She needed to make another appointment, but she did not want the receptionist to do it, so she went off again. I had had enough of her, so I called the receptionist back to my station and told her to have a seat. I walked around to the front desk and looked dead at her and asked her when would she like her next appointment. It's amazing how quiet she got and how much the attitude changed. I guess she picked up on the look in my eyes and on my face, because unlike our receptionist, I was not 17 years old, and I was NOT having it! What I got was, "OK dear, thank you so much!"

The next step would have calling security, or somebody choking her!

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

PEOPLE ARE NUTS
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 5:12:50 AM
Thestylediva,
As far as that nasty cursing nail cient goes, I would have told her to hit the road. I wouldn't have performed the service and I would have laughed in her face if she asked for another appointment.
Nobody is expected to take that from any client. I work for a chain and I have no authority there but I know that if I refused to do an abusive client my manager would stand fully behind me.

Kids, ah kids...I love those moms who think their babies are going to get some type of stylin' hair cut! I had a 14 month old baby who was crying and wiggling and the mom is like "oh, can you please use a #1 around his hair-line and then taper it up"! I'm like, "Lady, you're gonna be lucky if that kid gets any type of hair cut". Then when I was using the clipper the baby turned his head really quickly and had a nice white patch right near his ear! Ha! Forget about scissors on this baby! He would have been wearing them in his head with all that wiggling he was doing.

Then I had a mom bring in a 4 year old for a blow-out of all things. Why anyone would want their 4 year old to have a "gangsta" blow-out I'll never know. I just moved him over to someone elses chair claiming I didn't know how to do a blow-out. I really had never done one up to that point so I wasn't lying. I since have done one and it's fairly easy but come on - a four year old with a blow-out and a tape. INSANE!

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 7:09:24 AM

stylediva,

you just let her re-book after that display? Didn't you let her know that she was now on shaky ground because she was way out of line and that you did not appreciate, nor would tolerate  anyone speaking in that language in your salon?

Whoopie-doo! every client acts more respectful to the owner even in boothrental salons. Out of respect for the poor receptionist (who by the way was doing her job well.) I would have asked the client AND the nail tech to apologize to the receptionist. and I would have informed the client that is she ever shows that kind of attitude to anyone in that salon again she would be out the door and never welcomed back.

And finally: if the salon wasn't to call her on her cell- then why was the number provided to the salon?

CopaGirl
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 8:19:33 AM
Habib- Amen! to that last post. Tayalynne- I must be old because I have no idea what a gangsta blow out is! or blow out and a tape?? What?

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 10:20:46 AM
Copa Girl,
I live in S. Florida land of gangstas! This hair cut has drifted over to the non-gangsta teens. Basically it's a 90 degree short(up to 2" in length") all over the head except for about 1 1/2 inches all around the hairline. There you would use no guard on clipper and freehand from a "0" at the very edges of the hairline near the skin up into the length of the hair above the 1 1/2". Then the kid uses gel and spikes the hair out all over the head into a very round form.
A tape is where you go into the front hairline and square off the hair line around the face and then taper into pointy sideburns on the side of the face. You square off the recess areas. It's very had to describe in writing! Wish I could show you a picture. Do a search on a blow-out hair cut and see what comes up. I think it's also called a "Brooklyn".
Taya

hairgoddess72

about kids
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 7:39:24 PM
First of all, if you really hate doing something in this business, simply don't provide that service. I don't do nails, pedis, and do very limited corrective color and relaxing(I have to love you to fix hair that you jacked up yourself). I also will not do spiral perms. I hate them and think they are ugly. I make plenty of cash off the services i do offer. But on the subject of kids cuts. I don't like children, never have never will. Some of my clients do have children though. When I started I was in a chain at the mall so we had lots of kids come in. One memorable one dropped his penny on the floor just outside the door and the parents wouldn't let him go back and pick it up. He curled up in a chair a proceeded to cry like he was dying (he was about 4) So, I got a penny out of my change jar and proceeded to "find" it behind his ear. He was great from there on out. Just talk to them and explain what you are doing and why. I tell them they have to hold still or the cut will look funny and distract them with silly conversation. I never spend more than 10 min. or they lose interest. good luck

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 8:02:50 PM

how incredibly RUDE. 

Well, I can't stand people that contradict themselves.