Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > TEN THINGS YOUR HAIR STYLIST WILL NEVER TELL YOU PART 2
Posted By:
Posted By:Tayalynn on: 11/22/2005 11:34:33 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: TEN THINGS YOUR HAIR STYLIST WILL NEVER TELL YOU PART 2
Tayalynn
Bronze Member

TEN THINGS YOUR HAIR STYLIST WILL NEVER TELL YOU PART 2
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 11:34:33 AM
#6 If you have a child like I did before I got my license who screamed bloody murder and ducks their heads while the stylist is trying to cut their hair or has tantrums in the chair then you really should go to Wal-Mart, buy a clipper and snap a #3 blade on it. Have dad restrain the child and cut the entire hair cut with the clipper yourself. I have seen lots of horrible accidents with kids who can not tolerate a hair cut. Cut ears, faces and foreheads to children have occurred more often then I want to think about. Our equipment is professional and razor sharp including shears and clippers. A law suit by parents may very well be lost since their will be more witnesses against your case then for it. For this reason if your child is unreasonable they may leave with half a haircut or none at all and the law is on our side on this one. I saw a stylist slice her knuckle clean off working on an out of control child. It's not worth the risk to your child or the stylist if you have an unruly child and it is within our right, according to our attorneys, to deny that service without risk of a successful discrimination suit.

#7 Since we are on the subject of kids this will may tick you off if you have a few young ones at home. We usually give you a break on the price of a child's hair cut. Some parents feel they deserve it since a child's head is smaller believe it or not. This does not matter. A child's cut takes longer because you are constantly battling the child to keep his head up or put his head down or stopping to wait for them to scratch, pick or whatever. This price break I'm sure is to get the parents into the salon for their own services. For some reason parents feel they do not have to tip for a child's cut or at least they do not need to tip decently. All I can say is that for many reasons you should rethink this process. Tips can be up to half of our annual income. Many stylists cringe when they see a child walk in the door because we actually lose money on that service between the lower hair cut price and the lack of tips.

#8 If you want a really terrible hair-cut, micro-manage your stylist. It's alright to discuss what you want but to continually check everything while the haircut is being performed will make your stylist nervous. Wait until she's finished (unless he/she's really doing something wrong) and then ask him/her to change or fix whatever it is you need him/her to change or clean up.

#9 Always bring a picture of what you want to a new stylist. But remember, your hair texture, head shape and hair factors will not guarantee that you will come out looking like the model in the picture. If you put seven painters in a room and ask them all to paint a picture of flower you show them, every single picture will be somewhat different. Hair is the same to the styling artist. What they see in that picture will vary from your last stylist. It is impossible for two different stylists to recreate the same hair style exactly.

#10 Remember, it's only hair. It will grow back, and it can be re-colored and unless it's completely fried off your head or cut so short that you can't do anything with it (happened to me once) then don't cry over it. Wear it well with attitude that fits the style. Other then buying a wig that's all you can do. You can complain to your stylist but we can't put hair back onto your head once it's cut. Mistakes happen all the time - even with the most frou-frou of stylists and salons usually due to communication problems or an off day for your stylist. We are not robots. We are human beings and we understand that you are too. (I know it doesn't sound like it from the looks of this list!)

So there you have it. Ten things your stylist will never tell you. If you're thinking we should quit if it's that bad, we do and often.

I hope this helps you to understand what we see every day in our salons. By the way, with frivolous lawsuits (by frivolous I mean being sued over something as simple as a bad hair cut) on the rise against hair stylists you can expect prices to rise dramatically over the next ten years or so due to increased insurance costs - just like in the medical profession though not as crazy I hope.

Oh and by the way, we do go out of our way for our favorite clients and great tippers. By this I mean we come in on our off days to keep them and are more apt to make sure we get them in when they want just because they treat us so well. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We do have our favorites!

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

TEN THINGS YOUR HAIR STYLIST WILL NEVER TELL YOU PART 1
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 11:41:59 AM
TEN THINGS YOUR HAIR STYLIST WILL NEVER TELL YOU PART 1
Nov 22 '05

The Bottom Line Hair stylist are professionals. It's not as easy as it looks. Treat us as professionals and we will take care of you.

Why is it so hard to get an appointment with your stylist? Too many clients and too few stylists = BURNOUT. This causes me to ponder the reasons why we stylists all quit the business at one time or another. Probably 25% of stylists stay in the business for any length of time or even continue to make a long term career out of hair styling. I put together a list of stylist gripes that you can use as tips about clients gathered by the many stylists I've known over the years. These tips are from the stylist's point of view so I invite any client to put together their own list or perhaps I will do that if you want to post comments on your client gripes regarding this list. I'm sure there are many from you all as clients.

TEN THINGS YOUR HAIR STYLIST WILL NEVER TELL YOU

#1 Remember first and foremost that we are beauticians, not magicians. It's a comb not a wand.

#2 The beauty industry is a field that is ALWAYS short-handed. Hair Dressers get burned out quickly. The hair business is also a big health risk industry to a stylist.We suffer from physical ailments such as carpel tunnel, feet and leg problems, back problems and development of allergies as well as stress related ailments. This contributes to our stylist shortages however someone has to do this job so we choose to get into the field out of love for the art - not thinking about the baggage that can come with this career field.

#3 If you find a stylist that you like, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be on time for your appointments. Most stylists run late because their clients before you have arrived late. Some stylists will drop you like a hot potato when you are consistently late because there are seven more clients vying for your client slot. I've seen grown men and women cry because THEY were fired by their stylist! Sounds arrogant I know but this is true.

#4 Be patient. We can not do a color, cut and blow dry in under 2 hours and you may need to add more time for highlights. If you have very short hair it's possible. Anything longer then your ears forget about it.Always plan plenty of time for the service you're getting.

#5 O.K., I'll say it at the risk of ticking many of you off! DO NOT BRING YOUR CHILDREN WITH YOU IF YOU ARE GETTING A SERVICE DONE. I know that children need their hair cut as well but if you can not watch them the entire time that they are in the salon which is impossible when you are in the chair yourself, then bring them for their hair cuts separately. Leave them at home if you want a great outcome on your own hair. Kids that are spinning chairs, screaming and running around the salon and moms and dads who keep turning their heads to yell at them will cause your stylist to rush through your service just to get rid of you all. It also makes everyone else in the salon nervous. No one will appreciate your little darlings like you do.

Laura M.

Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 12:40:07 PM
Amen, sister! Especially on parents clippercutting the difficult kids at home! I had a very bad experience cutting a three year old's hair when I was right out of school (Many years ago). I tried to stop halfway through the cut because the little boy was jerking so much, but the mother was very inssitent I finish it. I the time I did not realize you can say no to a client. I ended up cutting my middle finger on my left hand badly enough to need eleven stitches. I also couldn't bend the finger or get it wet for a week, so I missed a week of work over a ten dollar haircut. Now, I don't do children under five years of age, period. I have yet to lose any business over it.
The Notorious C-A-T!

nicole
Bronze Member

Agreed
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 4:21:50 PM
I really liked this post...very true! The other thing with kids in the salon as was mentioned the parents cannot watch them all the time, so you are putting other clients and staff members at risk.  Plus if the kid hurts him/herself at the salon, they may sue (sue happy north america) It's also really annoying to clients who are there to relax and such, to have to hear and worry about a kid running around, gotta be unnerving!

BarbQuinn

This stuff should be made public
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 5:00:53 PM

Tayalynn: This great stuff and I am certain that my readers would love it. Can I get permission to reprint in on my blog? I'd be glad to give you and your salon some free pub.

I love the way you write and would love to have you as a guest contributor from time to time.

Barb Quinn
BarbQuinn.14035695@bloglines.com
www.hairstyle-blog.com

mina
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 5:15:09 PM
Where is the asst moderator today?

hues4you
Platinum Member

Mina-
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 7:15:34 PM

I am right here...........is there something you needed?  Just ask away!

Cindy Farr Hester   Asst Moderator

www.behindthechair.com

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 11:30:22 AM
She already asked the question, Cindy. She was referring to the free advertising. Especially for all the salons that advertise there. But the site has a lot of info, so maybe I'll spend more time there.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 11:37:47 AM
Hi Barb,
You may use my post for your blog. I have no problem with that! Thanks for asking!
Taya

hues4you
Platinum Member

Hair Blog
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 4:26:02 PM

Dear gang-

I don't really view it as free advertising.  The member is a hairdresser and I have visited the website, and she offers things there that we do not.  I feel I need to allow things that could be of interest to our members.  I do not see any hard sells going on here.  In any situation, if it was to get out of hand, I would make a decision.

The choice to participate in outside press or a blog, whatever it may be is up to the member to decide.

www.behindthechair.com

mina
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:56:04 AM

Oh, I thought it wasn't allowed, because I saw Hairmavens site deleted and he has the same thing.  Forum for chatting etc.  Why was his site deleted?  I think it's great!

In fact, it actually has google advertising on it, which makes the website money.  Which in turn means the more the site is browsed, the more money they make.  Looks like free advertising to me!  And they advertise to buy products online!  How horrible is THAT?

It's not even a blog!  It's a full on site full of advertising!  Did you even look?  When you click on the site, it changes names.  It isn't even the site that is posted here.

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 11:30:40 AM

I was wondering the same thing because from what I've been informed about Behind the Chair, this site had issues with past posters who mentioned or advertised other hair informative sites and forums. From what I understand people have been kicked off of this site for this minor infraction and some kisked off for even less than this. How can it no longer be an issue and why was it even an issue in the first place?

mina
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 11:33:29 AM
what?  who? where?  who was it?  There are a few people I don't see anymore- I wonder if it's one of them?  That's funny actually.  Silly, but funny!

crystal

10 things your stylist will never tell you
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 7:03:15 PM

Bravo!  Bravo!

Now, if I can only make up a sign and post it at my station, I would love to hear the comments the clientelle would have.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:12:11 PM
I have to agree with habib.  I know someone has to make those decisions but it does seem like you are picking and choosing.  Would it not make more sense to ban any advertizing all together?

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:13:10 PM
Tarylynn-  Great list.  You should also do a list, Ten Things you were not told in beauty school!

hues4you
Platinum Member

Post in Wrong Place
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 5:04:26 AM

This is where I should of posted under this thread.  Looking forward to the future.  I hope you all have a great Holiday Season.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

www.behindthechair.com

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 5:06:32 AM
thank you! you too.

hues4you
Platinum Member

Thanks
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 5:50:47 AM

Thanks for understanding, I must of been real tired last nite

Happy Holidays,

www.behindthechair.com

xDandelionSunshinex

that was awesome!!!
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:56:09 PM

I love what you wrote about "What your hairstylist will never tell you"....absolutely awesome.  Here is another peeve of mine.  When our salon is completely booked and one of us is at the front desk with receptionist(not licensed) and some raving women or man walks in and says "Oh, looks like you "guys" aren't busy", or everytime I try to "walk-in", you guys don't look busy, but tell me you are booked--GO FIGURE. People need to stop being so damn selfish and get over it.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2005 3:33:35 AM
I've actually had people bypass the reception area and start walking around the salon to see who is available. They'll walk right up to the different stylists and start talking to them in front of their clients. They'll say, can you get me in after them?
Duh! It's so unprofessional to have to deal with that in front of a client in a chair.
Taya

ashleylin62

Clinic at Beauty School
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 10:24:50 AM

I absolutely love your "Ten Things a Stylist Wont Tell You" !! It's sooo funny because the other day while our beauty school was holding a clinic, me and some of the other girls were talking about how the parents will bring in their kids and sit and talk to you about how cute they are and how perfect they are, *while they're running around like maniacs destroying everything* i just find it hard to believe that someone would actually think its ok to let their children act like that

locksylady

Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 6:38:21 PM

awesome job Taya, that was the truth. How about those great tippers though? I have just lost a long time client over scheduling problems. It breaks my heart a little, but it was way more of a heartbreak to see her walk in the door 15 mins early and be boiling by the time I got to her 7 or 10 mins late! She acted like she owned me just because she thought she paid more for her services than anyone else and she's a good tipper. Truth is, I had to schedule a 15-30 min  dummy appt so I wouldn't be late and then a full hour for a lousy 45$ blowdry and that great 25$ tip. She was great training for me as a newer stylist, very picky and well groomed, had her hair done all over the world. It's hard to  focus on an area of this field and not hurt anyones feelings. I started out doing every service my license covered, facials,waxing(full body), all hair and nails also. Even acrylic nails. As I became a busier stylist, I had to give up offering certain services. I won't miss doing wash and blow.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 3:21:07 AM
Lockslady,
When I worked in an upperscale salon almost all of my clients were like your lady. They paid a lot to have their hair done but because they were rich they treated me as less then dirt. It was like - I'm here and you must now kick your present client out of your chair because I will not wait 5 minutes. It drove me nuts. They talked down to me as if I were an idiot. I hated my clients and they made me feel like they thought I was some type of slave to them. I went back to work at a chain where I feel that I am at least respected and I'm treated more like the progessional that I am.
Taya

locksylady

Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 4:16:38 AM

this particular lady lent me a large sum of money when she heard me talking about borrowing from my husbands 401k to buy our house. She wrote out a check on the spot and said "don't worry, I won't charge you interest." The next week she hands me a hand written IOU. I signed it, made her a copy and kept it. I did not notice on it that it did state " you will be my indentured hair slave until death do we part" just kidding, but I think she really thought she bought me. I paid her back in 3 or 4 years, with my tax return. She told me to forget about the last 500$ while I was still doing all the juggling to please her. The next year was when I stopped wash and blo. I do work at a very nice salon and the prices are competitive with the day spas in our area, but there is a step up salon, I can't imagine having all my clients be as pushy and demanding as that all while hiding behind the demure facade of "i'm the little old lady"

p.s. we've lost clients over the please don't bring your child here while you recieve services rule. It is absolutely ridiculous to expect that it is ok to have yourself and other people enjoy themselves while there is a 5 yr old tazmanian devil on the loose.

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 5:20:10 AM

i also agree-that most people don't like the fact i don't want children in the salon and probably have lost some-however the difference it makes for the other clients and the calmness is worth every one that may not have made the appt. or returned.  i don't have to run after the little bohemians either nor spend time disciplining.

definitely good you paid the lady back-that is exactly what happens when you borrow from anyone other than the bank or a family member.  you DO owe them and eventually the believe they 'own' you.  not good.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:12:12 AM
I have people try to bargain with me for free hair all of the time. I tell them no - I always keep my business my business. I only do family for free. Sounds mean but it's to avoid being taken advantage of. I used to own my own clothing alterations business and I learned the hard way. When I started doing hair I VOWED to never do free hair unless it was a charity project or family. I don't even do it free for close friends!

Taya

locksylady

so.... about that bad client...
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:09:08 PM
Here is the dilemma, the lady who "owned" me called & left a message on the answering machine: ' I will no longer be needing your services, I have found a salon closer to my home where they greet me with smiles, they love me" No they don't, they love your 400 carat diamond and your wallet full of 100$ bills in the Hermes bag. they don't know what kind of trouble they're getting themselves into. I hope someone with a lot of patience will be willing to put her color on mixed to her specs and applied exactly as she tells them to which is just off the scalp and only on the 1/4" regrowth, but NOT on the scalp, it burns. then they can listen to how the hair is to be blown dry with the brush like this, for the hundred millionth time. (Can you tell that I am so done with that job?) so should I send her a thank you for your years of dedicated patronage card?

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 11:32:29 PM

I'd send her a card, make it as sweet as possible...thanking her...for going elsewhere and freeing up your chair for a new client to enjoy your services.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 4:06:12 AM
I'm with Britboy. Send her a nice sweet card but I think I'd drop the sarcastic part at the end of his suggestion! I'm sure you've heard the expression "Don't Burn Your Bridges". It's hard to know the future. She might refer someone to you who is not like her in the future! Or she could bad mouth you to her inner money circle. You pick the one you'd rather have.

I'd also look at her message as a relief of all guilt on your part. You know someone is doing her hair and it's closer to her home! Oh yeah, and they LOVE her there! Be happy for her!
Taya

locksylady

Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 4:06:21 AM
thanks Brit, that is exactly how I feel, I'm sure I can come up with a card to suit the occasion.

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 5:00:21 AM

i think it would affect her more if you cheered her on.  nice nice nice-  "Hi Hermes Lady!  I appreciate your letting me know about your new salon. I'm happy they will be able to meet your needs.  All the best."

if she ever decides to return to you and you choose to take her back-the rules would be set from day one.  any of the old behaviour would be absolutely unacceptable and it would be known immediately or i'd take the cape off and ask her to leave. she would be a 'new' client again, this time starting off with 'what you know now'.

Good for you locksylady-what a relief!

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

ELEVEN THINGS!
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 12:05:19 PM
Argh...after today I must add item #11. If you have a daughter who is a senior in high school please let her make up her own mind about her hair!

I had the WORST day today. Another stylist gets a girl who was going to her senior prom. I heard the stylist and the mom going back and forth about the girls hair. The stylist told the mom to have her daughter come in with clean, DRY hair. The kid comes in with wet hair and 1/2 hour late. Mom doesn't want to pay for a blow-dry and stylist tells her there is not time to do her hair because she's booked solid. Stylist comes to me (the idiot) who had a cancellation and asks if I would do her clients hair. Me (the idiot) owes stylist favor. Me (the idiot) say OK completely ignoring my original instinct to say no because mom was a pain. Original stylist throws in FREE blowdry first - and this girls hair was to her waist also only quoted her $45 for a style that I would have charged $75 for. Then girl comes to me (the idiot), mom leaves, girl shows me (the idiot) a picture of what she wants. Me (the idiot) does exactly what girl wants. Mom comes back to salon and has a melt down. That's not what I wanted, blah,blah,blah.... I explained to mom that girl did not want what mom wanted (old fashioned barrel curls) and girl was old enough to decide for herself. Mom hates girls hair (girl likes her hair) and complains to manager about me and original stylist. Then mom reluctantly pays for hair (I spent an hour and a half doing her hair and it was georgeous). Mom does not tip me (the idiot). Mom tell me how poorly she was treated and wants to complain to the highest manager. Wants both my name and her original stylists name as well as the manager's name. I give her company Web Site and tell her to go for it! Me (the idiot) learns a valuable lesson - trust your instincts and carry through. Ruined my day and I'm mad as heck. So mad I just realized I'm talking like Tarzan.

Taya

pinkparagon
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 4:56:35 PM
ROFLOL, Taya/Tarzan, you crack me up. We have all been there, and feel your pain!

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 5:29:57 PM

ok i would like to know how the mother thought you guys could do an up do on wet hair?  (she didn't want to pay for a blowout)

i'd like to put a sign in my salon that states:
  "We charge extra for CRAZY".......

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 6:25:15 PM
Me think me hire to Locksylady send card to pain in the butt mother. Hmmmm- a card saying bye-bye crazy lady.

Me still mad and talking like Tarzan and it's many hours later - ugh.
Taya

xDandelionSunshinex

one more thing.....
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 6:27:20 PM

People that want to chit chat on their cell phone while you are doing their hair. I step away from the chair when this happens. I bet there is no client that can go to their GYNO, DENTIST, OR CHURCH and be on their annoying NEXTEL phone the entire service or doctor visit without the jolly doc or pastor being offended. Why should we as professionals be any different.  Who really makes or receives a cell phone call while in those stirrups?

And..ALL KIDS...KEEP OFF THE *^%$ CHAIR PUMPS.

pinkparagon
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2006 9:39:09 PM
Ditto on the cell phones and the kids, and don't you just cringe when they seem to think if they call it a "trim" it should somehow cost less. I also had a lady chew me out once for not washing and reusing foils.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 3:47:22 AM
Speaking of cell phones, I was at a Subway the other day and right at the beginning of the line taped on the glass case was a sign that read "NO CELL PHONE USE ALLOWED". Some lady was behind me talking away on her phone and there were people behind her. The Subway lady (my hero) skipped right over her and took the guy behind her. She told whoever she was talking to that she was just skipped over at Subway, hung up and proceeded to tell the Subway lady how rude she was to skip her and yadda, yadda, yadda. The Subway lady pointed and the sign and said basically "Sorry 'bout Yer Luck". It was GREAT. I think next time someone gets on their cell phone in my chair I'll go back and take a break, drink a cup of coffee and go to the bathroom. Then I'll come back and say, "Oh, I didn't know you were done with your conversation"!
It is a BIG problem in our salon. Sometimes I'll continue cutting their hair letting the hair fall all over and into their phones. Depends on what mood I'm in or if I have people waiting for me.
Taya

hues4you
Platinum Member

Here are some funny things
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 7:48:55 AM

The owner of salon took some time off:

So I have been helping his wife, who has done a great job - learn the business.  We have 17 booth renters in a colour speciality salon.  It pretty much runs itself.  But we get many call ins due to advertising and our reputation.

I will share some weirdness and how we handled it.  I am aware some of you may not agree, but at this point in our careers, we can be a little more picky about who we choose to service.  If they are on the loony side - we do not need the frustration.  Listen to this:

Clients calls like 10 times in 1 hour.  Wants in with owner.  Keeps making appts and changing them.  Our recpt has the patience of a saint.  She said Cindy - I don't know what to with this lady.  I have tried everything.  I have told her to sit down and just regroup and think of her scedule and call me back when she knows she can come in.  She finally decided she does not need to be on the owners book - because it would be one of those situations where it would be trouble - and he would end up telling here to get out and there would be no pleasing her.  She was a little off I would say.  Can you help me?  I said sure.  The phone rang.  And it was her.  "Thank you for calling Diva Colour Studio"  yes I am trying to get in and I have an appt, but it just ins't going to work on that date.  I said OK, what is your name.  She told me - knew who I was dealing with.  I said I was just about to call you.  The man you have requested to do your hair just informed us needs to take that day off anyways, so it's a good thing you need to reschedule.  Oh, good she says.  Well can I have this date?  I said no mam he is booked on that day and she rambles a few more dates - booked, booked, booked,...........wow, she says...........when is his next opening.  I said..........it looks like he is booked till July 31.  What?  She says?  I am afraid so.  Well what about Roy?  Well Roy is book till like Feb and the only way you can get an appt with him is to go thru his Asst Rita, but I will be happy to give you her appt line.  Does he charge like 180?  I said no it was 190.  but he recently went up to $250.  Ohh..............but he is booked into Feb of next year I tell her.  Oh, my goodness she says.  Well, what about the appts that I changed all this AM.  We went over a few, and I said, they have all been filled.  Then she says how many colorist work there?  I say 17.  Our first opening in the salon is July 15.  Well, she says - how am I going to get my hair done?  I said, I am not sure, most of our clients pre book their next appt before they leave - we stay very busy.  Well, has anyone cancelled today?  I said I am afraid not.  I finally got her off the phone.

This is how I kept a lunatic from coming into our salon.  If you get a bad vibe and you know it is a loose loose situation, remember you have the right to refuse service to anyone.  I know the lady may have issues and her mind may have been circling, and she may calm down in a few days and could very well call back - and act diffferent and that is cool.  If she does - she can book an appt.  She simply needed to chill.

So there you go.  Very odd AM yesterday.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 4:28:39 PM
CINDY,
You are the MASTER! I wish I had the freedom to do this. I work for a chain and they want us to bend over backwards for EVERY client. I think I'll start challenging this rule however for the nut-bags. I may get the ax but that's OK with me. There are 100 other salons who need stylists in this area!
Taya

hues4you
Platinum Member

Some People Will NEVER Be Happy
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 5:52:38 PM

LOL!

Listen, some people are just off.  And the longer you do this the choosier you can be.  And you can start to sense things.  It's kinda an intuition thing.  Like when you are doing a consultation and a client is telling you what they want and you know it will never work - or ethically you are not willing to go there - it is perfectly OK to say "I am sorry, but I do not think this is a wise choice for you hair.  This is what I think would be the most complimentary."  And then they say - well I don't care this is what I want............are you going to do it or what???  I would say No, I am sorry, but I am sure you will be able to find someone that will, good luck to you.  Have a nice day.  And then they are usually a little floored and react like..........."you mean you will not do my hair?!!"  Yes that is correct.  Have a nice day.

And this scenario applies to people that tell you 3 different things in a consultation that do not match up and you calmly try and make sense of it - your consultation serves as an opportunity to make sure you are on the same page and also as whether you would like to accept this person as a client.  Also whether the clients hair is in good enough shape to handle the service.

Some people think that changing their hair will make themselves feel better on the inside.  And in some cases that is very true.  But, if you are dealing with someone that is truly unhappy inside, I can promise you that no hairstyle or color change will fix an ill person inside.  They have mental health professionals for that.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, May 15, 2006 3:24:07 AM
Can you imagine how hard it can be on oh lets say...a plastic surgeon? I mean how many people go there thinking that a new nose or bigger chest will take care of all of the bad feelings about themselves. At first it probably does but guess what. Even if you have cute nose and an ugly personality all of the baggage comes back and you realize you're still not happy. That's when you figure out something else to fix. That's probably why those people who are totally addicted to plastic surgery keep going back. Same with hair. They want to feel better about themselves through their hair. Sometimes they make impossible demands. I have felt that intuition. I can't wait to settle down in one area someday (hubby's in the miltiary so we move all the time) so I can open my own little salon. Once I am able to call my own shots I can refuse those crack pots that you just have that feeling about. In the chain I work in I sometimes will pass off certain clients to other stylists if I have that feeling. They are happy to get them but in the end I find I was right to let em go. It is just not worth the time and effort it takes to try to please someone who will not be pleased. And sometimes people want something for nothing so they give you a hard time to get free services out of you. I say forgeddaboutit!
Taya

hues4you
Platinum Member

Salon Rules
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2006 6:00:43 AM

If you work for a salon that will not let you refuse service then by all means, make sure you follow your salons rules.  I don't want anyone to loose their jobs.

My situation is a little different in the fact that we are all rental, and I know the owner very well, and most of our rental staff stays booked.  Yes, I know we are very fortunate.  That does not mean we abuse this priviledge.  Everyone needs new clients from time to time and referrals to keep growing.  All of our stations are full at the moment.  When I was at a chain salon, it was privately owned, we did have the right to refuse service to anyone, but we used it at our discretion, please do not think this happens all the time.

As for the plastic surgery analogy - I actually had this happen to me.  I had always been on the fence about the boob job thing.  So I asked a plastic surgeon one time about just getting a little enhancement.  I wanted a a boob job that nobody would know that I had had - just fill them out just a little bit - and when I layed down they looked real, and when I was 70 years old - and muscles started relaxing they stayed where they were supposed to be - etc etc etc.  He asked me why I did not want them bigger.  I said I just want my clothest to look better.  He said it kinda seems like a waste of money to me.  He wanted to know if I had been thru a major life changing event like a divorce etc.  I said yes I had had a divorce - but that was not the reason - this was something I had thought of for a long time.  After we had talked a bit - he told me I was not a good cantidate for plastic surgery and it would be a waste of my money.  I needed to put some more thought in it.  So I am still thinking about it.  4 or 5 years later.

Colorz

Posted: Monday, May 15, 2006 6:20:22 AM

At the risk of being told not to "babble" on topics of sociology or psychology (although that is what I went to college for), I have to tell you Tayalynn you are right. Plastic surgeons, car dealers, even pet breeders and of course hair stylists, deal with people who think something is going to make them happier than it does, even when it is perfect. The phenomena is called “impact bias-- impact meaning the errors we make in estimating both the intensity and duration of our emotions and bias our tendency to err” and/or “effective forecasting errors”. Both theories are basically the same. They take into account that we don’t realize that we will self regulate back to a state of normalcy (or calm), even when something is phenomenal, like you won the lottery. We think things will make us happy for much longer than they actually do, we think a nose job or new hair style, a new car or a new puppy, owning your own business, will continue to give us the same thrill we felt initially. These things do not do that we self regulate back to a state of calm and the thrill wears off usually much faster than we anticipate it will. Unfortunately, many people get buyers remorse when the thrill wears off, they abandon their new pet, try to return their expensive whatever, have repetitive plastic surgeries, and complain about hair color they loved the week before. Those are what I call the refund customers! The ones who do not take emotional responsibility for their decisions and therefore expect their false expectations to be filled continuously. It may actually be less of a phenomena in hair because it would be rather foolish for anyone to think they can get it styled once and never grow roots or need it cut again. Of course the hair cut/color complainer should really consider how a drastic change will feel once the thrill is gone. But I think I am getting a little off track here because Cindy’s caller seemed to have more problems going on than impact bias would cause. Although, it is those clients who have other psychological issues that have the hardest time dealing with impact bias as their emotions don’t allow them to chill out and realize the realities of life.

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, May 15, 2006 7:18:24 AM
interesting Colorz.....

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, May 15, 2006 7:32:58 AM
I myself have never been on the fence about plastic surgery.  I'm all for it and plan on getting several things done myself.

I do think it's odd though, or at least interesting that just because you didn't want to look like Pamela Anderson, Cindy, that they told you that you were a bad candidate.  In fact some people come in just to look like celebs, yet you wanted to just feel a little better about yourself, something that looked natural, and they told you you were a bad candidate, seems like maybe what everyone says about them being fake and all the stereotypes are true.  I'm not a plastic surgeon, but I myself would feel that a surgery like that was more ethical than people coming in for Nicole Kidman's nose.

I do as a hairdresser have to admit that I'm quite uncomfortable with some of the philosophies in our trade.  Such as the whole you have to be perfect, that there is a perfect nose size, body size, hair to body ratio, an oval face, oval nails, a certain size fingers, etcetera.  I look at people like  Angelica Houstan, and I think all that stuff is crap.

It bothers me that people do not feel that they are beautiful already.  The vision that I take myself  as a hairdresser is that i'm doing this for fun to experiment,I'm not coloring your hair so you can be attractive, I'm coloring your hair because red might be a fun shade to try.  I think of makeup almost as an artists palette, and I like to try different things.

Some people will never be happy though.  The client that disturbs me the most personally is the client who does everything for her man. I  had one client that her boyfriend  was so controlling that she didn't even want him to know she was in the salon.  She talked to him for an hour while I was trying to do her service, and I couldn't blow dry her hair or anything because she wanted him to think she was at the mall.  She even asked me if I would say stuff that would occur at a mall, and when anyone else started there dryers she would look around panicked.   

She also did the usual stuff meaning I couldn't cut it or style it in a way that his holiness didn't approve of.  I also wonder what a stunner he was, that she was willing to do all this for him.  I see women bend over backwards for there men, and then prince charming walks in and he usually can barely grunt, and he has a beer belly, and a baseball cap on, yet she has to look like Cinderella.  Sorry, steps off soapbox. 

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, May 15, 2006 12:18:37 PM
Valley,
That is so sad - those controlled women. I have a few of them. They are in their mid 50's and their long hair looks terrible on them. They won't do anything new because the husband/boyfriend won't allow it. Some of them get very witchy looking. WHATEVER! I had a lady come in the other day who just broke up with her long time boyfriend. She had long, bleached blonde hair that really looked unhealthy and terrible on her. So she breaks up with her boyfriend, comes in and gets her hair cut in a cute little swing bob. Someone else did it for her. It took 15 years off of her face. I suggested she do some low-lights as well to put some color back in her face. Isn't that strange how some women let men control them that way. My husband really does not like my hair short (most men like long hair) but I love it short. I keep telling him the day he gets up every morning and is willing to blowdry and style my hair, I'll be happy to let it grow down to my toes if he wants!
Taya

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, May 15, 2006 4:55:47 PM
I do as a hairdresser have to admit that I'm quite uncomfortable with some of the philosophies in our trade.  Such as the whole you have to be perfect, that there is a perfect nose size, body size, hair to body ratio, an oval face, oval nails, a certain size fingers, etcetera.  I look at people like  Angelica Houstan, and I think all that stuff is crap.

Angelica Houston might be considered attractive by some standards Vally, as might Jessica Laing, but it doesn't follow that everybody is and most people are helped by hairstylists to look more appealing and they gain self-esteem from our services...don't be ashamed of what we do, be proud.
It's a fact of life that attractiveness is important to people, yes the oval face-shape is considered the most pleasing, and long hair on short fat women is probably not the most flattering look for them.

It bothers me that people do not feel that they are beautiful already. 

Don't let it bother you, let it make you happy that you can make money from helping them to feel better about themselves. It's win-win.

The vision that I take myself  as a hairdresser is that i'm doing this for fun to experiment,I'm not coloring your hair so you can be attractive

Come on now, you're not doing it so that the clients are LESS attractive are you? Of course not.

I'm coloring your hair because red might be a fun shade to try.  I think of makeup almost as an artists palette, and I like to try different things.

This trade isn't about you, it's about the client Vally.

hues4you
Platinum Member

dealing with abuse
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:15:41 AM

We were never really taught how to deal with in school a client telling us that she is being abused at home, example:  where to refer her if she is asking for help or what advice to offer or not.  They are in the process of trying to add a bit about this into the cosmetology textbooks in the schools.  They may have already done it.

I do know this, this is a very touch subject and you have to be trained to deal with it.  It's not as simple as just telling someone to get out.  Don't let him hit you.  How can you tell him how to wear you hair, etc.........  Some women feel so low at this point there is hardly any of them left. 

I didn't know if you were aware of this or not, but Clairol has started a wonderful campain for salons, and it is called Cut it Out.  Since Valley touched on the subject of abuse on this thread - I just wanted to put this out there for those of you that are interested.  They will supply your salon free of charge with counter cards and little business like cards that you can sit at your front desk that people can annonymously pick up that has the hotlines and things they need to think about before they leave.  They will also send your salon a packet on ways to deal with someone that may tell you she needs help.  Help is usally listening, not judging and then handing a card and with the info they need on it.  You can also add a link from your website to theirs.  They also offer training sessions for cosmetologist on how to deal with this delicate issue.  Salons have had cut a thons and stuff to raise money for this organization as it is non profit and you can adopt shelters as they are always in need when women get the strength to flee their abusers sometimes with only their children and clothes on their backs.  I will provide the link for you if you would like to look into it further.

If you all want to get into this subject further, please start another thread - OK?

http://www.cutitout.org/

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:49:37 AM
Cindy- great input, and I agree with you.  I also would like to say is the first step would probaly be recognizing such abuse.  Meaning I now looking back know I touched on the issue but I did not realize I did till you posted this.  But that is abuse, most certainly, and the funny thing is I had this charming lady in beauty school and my instructors of course had to check the hair at the end, and she gave them the whole spiel.  They had a serious case of the creeps to about her, but didn't seem to recognize that it could be abuse either.
Taralynn- Those clients are so sad, and I love what you tell your husband.  We had a stylist come in that her boyfriend gave her the exact specifications for her hair.  One of our male stylists asked her "Does he style it, does he wash it, does he condition it?"  When she predictably answered no, he told her that when he starts she can wear it as long as he wants her to.  Great story about that client getting a bob, the same thing happened to me.
I had a client come in and she was a plumber.  She was pretty but she looked kind of gruff and she did not have any makeup on or anything and was dressed quite masculinely.  She wasn't the type that would let a guy control her at all, but her boyfriend was acting like a real jerk and she was pretty ticked off. 
I gave her a cut, and I point cut it and used some product.  She loved it.  She was so excited and happy about how she looked, she not only bought retail from me, but she gave me an awesome tip, and she announced that hse was going to go dancing that night and her boyfriend could take a hike (she said that in more colorfull terms.) Now I'm not in the bussiness of breaking up relationships, but it was so cool to see this nonesense woman who seemed totally asexual, be just thrilled iwth her look and decide to go out dancing.
Britboy- what can I say, you are exactly right.  It's an issue I need to get over. Maybe I could look at it in a more positive light.  Such as I'm making people feel better about themselves as opposed to they are ugly, and there only hope is if I fix them.