Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Afraid of graduating from school.
Posted By:
Posted By:cutting4kicks on: 1/29/2006 6:04:16 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Afraid of graduating from school.
cutting4kicks

Afraid of graduating from school.
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 6:04:16 PM

stylist13

don't worry
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2006 11:24:43 PM
everyone feels this way, and you'll get through it with some scary moments. Remember everyone is always learning and none of us is perfect. I went to Paul Mitchell and it gave me skills that all of my employers have been impressed with. Are you planning to assist for awhile? that is the best way to get past this fear.... and feel comfortable. good luck!

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 2:32:52 AM
The only thing you have to fear is fear itself! I felt the same way when I got out of school and it is different in the real world. Since I was an older student I did not want to assist. My goal was to continue studying on my own and do as many heads as I possible could. I started out in a family chain salon and quite frankly I never thought the money would be that good for a beginner. I have been there almost a year and am now confident enough to move on to a more upscale salon. I would say in the year that I worked at the chain salon I did about 1,200 heads. This gave me the practice and encouragement I needed.
So don't worry. Everyone has to start somewhere. Just decide where you want to go and don't worry about being fast. Take your time and worry about doing it correctly instead. Speed and confidence will come in time.
Taya

xsoundgrlx

don't be afraid
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 8:26:51 PM
I know what your feeling. i felt the same way and when i did find my first job at a salon it really helped that i was an assistant first. while i was assisting the owner of the salon would have me cut on a maniquine head when it wasnt busy. just find a place that is intrested in continued education and you'll be fine. i did so well that they started me out with one day a week in my own chair to take walk-ins to having my own chair full time in less than 6 months.

phorxygirl

Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 7:02:04 PM
I am also very afraid of graduating.  I still have 500 hours to go.  My state boards here in Utah I have heard are extremely hard to pass.  Anyone have any advice on that.

midnite

Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 1:35:14 PM
My advice is this:  start at a salon as a shampoo girl- but with the understanding that you'll move up to a hair dresser once you get your license.  Being in the Salon, and the advice and hands on that you'll get from the different experienced hair dressers is far more education than what you learn at beauty school.  Beauty school is just the Basics!!  You are about to enter a whole new world- you'll be fine as long as you tell yourself you are. IF you don't have confidence in yourself- then your clients won't have confidence in you.  Think about it.  So take it one step at at time- when i finished beauty school i was very confident, but still a little scared- so i was a shampoo assistant for about two months and then i started working like 26 hours a week at a salon in the mall and mainly got walk ins- and walk in clients aren't usually that picky- so they're great to get comfortable with! 

xDandelionSunshinex

Don't worry!
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 2:25:28 PM

First of all......don't panic.......

I have done hair over 20 years and still get the woozies.  You can never learn enough. School is just a basic driving course, and to be honest most schools should not be open.  I learned alot of my info from watching DVDS AND reading books. Find a salon that is willing to help you. If they have that "diva" syndrome, or "I am better than all of you" attitude---RUN!  A good salon enriches all who work for it. Good Luck!

cutting4kicks

Great news!
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 8:37:13 PM

Coach

intern phobia
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2006 8:19:46 PM
I have an intern who graduated beauty school but has not taken her school exam or state board exam. She has asked other recent graduates for help  studying but whenever I ask her when the next test date is she says she doesn't know. She has even tried to blame the other girls saying they won't help her and they are more than willing. We've even cut back her hours so she has more time to study for the exam. I'm sure she is one of those people who are terrified of tests. Any suggestions for getting her past this phobia

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 12:11:26 AM

Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 1:35:14 PM

My advice is this:  start at a salon as a shampoo girl- but with the understanding that you'll move up to a hair dresser once you get your license. 

I don't get this post...Don't you have to have a license to shampoo hair? You certainly do in California, we don't have shampoo-girls who are not licensed, you must be licensed to touch anyone and charge money for it.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 12:21:31 AM

I found a job! I didn't have to go very far! I am going to be an instructor at my school when I graduate! I grad in a few days and begin employment on the 25th! Yay! Thanks for all the kind words ladies and gents!

I'm sorry folks, but this is just the type of thing that I have been complaining about here for years...How can someone teach what they cannot do? The idea that someone is going to teach a new generation of hairstylists how to be sucessful in this trade without themselves ever having worked in a salon, had a clientele or faced any of the difficulties of the salon life strikes me as a cruel joke on all of us who toil in the workplace. It's a sad and sorry state of affairs that cannot be anything but unhealthy for this trade.

This person admits to being terrified and of lacking skills...is this who we want teaching our young people?

What other occupation allows those who have never been in the field to teach it? It's absolutely preposterous. How can somebody who has never done something possibly understand how it's done? How can they be an inspiration to newcomers? There should be a law that prevents anyone teaching a skill until they have actually been actively working in that field for a minimum of 2 years.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 3:32:55 AM
Wow, that lends truth the saying "Those who can't do, teach". I don't believe that saying by the way, it just applies here.

In Florida by state law you can not be an instructor
in a school unless you have two years experience at least. Evidentally that does not apply here.
Taya

Nic
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 8:40:20 AM

Agreed.

While most states require the licensed cosmetologist or instructor cosmetologist to complete a certain number of clock hours in continued education before renewal of his/her license, it's sad that the student licensee can go straight from student to instructor without ever having to spend time in a real salon.

However, it's a known fact that beauty schools don't teach the student how to be successful in the field. They teach the absolute bare minimum, basic requirements to pass the state boards. And sadly, a student who has demonstrated that ability by passing his/her state board is qualified in the eyes of their respective state board to teach that accomplishment to other students.

On that note, I can't think of any school that teaches students to be prepared for success in the real working world. I work at a law firm, and neither partner will hire a paralegal graduate fresh out of college. Why? No real life work experience as a paralegal.

Remember, school is a controlled environment. The workplace is not.

"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."
Winston Churchill

whynotdye

Yikes!
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 9:49:42 AM

I think the school hiring you to teach is the one to blame here. You(cutting4kicks) are simply taking advantage of an offer that appeals to you.

If I were a student paying thousands of dollars for my education, I would be a little leery of someone teaching me a skill they never took the time to perfect. To me it would be like a senior in high school going back to teach the previous juniors. Nobody will take you seriously.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 8:27:25 PM
I hate to disagree with everyone on here, but I think you are all being a little hard on beauty school instructors.  Sure there are some that are less than great, but to say statements such as "Those who can't, teach."  Is a bit offensive.  At least it offended me and I'm not an instructor.  I had several instructors in school who were very talented, very dedicated, and not only have worked behind the chair, but continued to work behind the chair, they would come home from teaching and then go work at a salon in the evening.  I went to a private beauty school, but they did not just teach boards, they taught boards, but it was such an afterthought to the curriculum, that when they taught it, it was like, "Oh we have to do boards."  We were shown educational videos, we were taught about a wide variety of techniques.  We had to practise quite a bit, in coloring class we had to foil seventeen heads, bleach three heads, do a multidimensional color, do various tone and shade tests on strands of hair, that had nothing to do with the boards.  For the board portion we had to practise tint retouches, and virgin applications, seven times, in front of a student teacher, and she/he had to sign each one off.  We had pop quizzes the entire color section, and at the end we were tested on haircolor- theory, and then we had to color and style a mannequin for our practical.  This was not the state board portion.  For the state board portion we had to do what was required at our state boards, in front of an instructor.  At then end of the class we were graded on our color test, and our state board test, our homework, the heads we foiled, our dress, our appearance.  There were two things for appearance, uniform and appearance in general.  After out test we were allowed to work on clients.  In school I did not just work on older clientelle, I high lighted three teenagers, and did countless tints and tint retouches.  This is just the color unit alone.
My teachers were dedicated and concerned.  After I graduated, they let me come to the school and practise my state boards before the test and they gave me additional help.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

cutting4kicks
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 8:30:04 PM
Good luck, and congrats, you must feel quite honored to get a teaching posistion right out of school.  I would encourage you to also try to find work behind the chair, and to also maybe even try to do platform work or editorial work, as it is best to be incredibly well rounded, especially since you are actually going to be teaching.  Break a comb!

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 10:15:15 AM
Valley,
I said:
Wow, that lends truth the saying "Those who can't do, teach". I don't believe that saying by the way, it just applies here.

They key to that was that "I DON'T BELIEVE THAT SAYING". Please do not twist my post into something else. I was merely stating a phrase to make a point that I believe that you need to have real life experience in the field in order to teach. How can an inexperienced licensed hair dresser know how to repair a color or cut that was screwed up by a student if she has no experience on doing this him or herself?

Sorry you were offended but if you had read more carefully I did not imply that experienced cosmetologists who are Beauty School Instructors were inadequate.

Taya

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:42:30 AM
I do realize the context in which you posted that.  I was not twisting your words, I did not even know who posted or did not post what, I saw several people posted things and I put my opinion in. 
I will say this though, I feel that those on this board, myself probably included at times, jump first and ask questions later.
People do not always post or talk correctly or completly.  I will give you an example.
My friend is a pastors daughter and they were moving to another location.  Her mother one day told her something along the lines of "This is a really good church they have pets come to the service."  My friend was understandably shocked and horrified by this.  She displayed her confusion at this, and her mother clarified, that they had a class for the children on pets, and God's creatures.  She told her mother by the way she said it, that the information was not clear and could be very good (having a class for youngsters on pets is fairly advanced for the area they are moving to)  or horrid (taking pets to church is kind of 'Deliverance' esque)
My point of this illustration is I think that we all jumped to conclusions about what cutting4kicks may have meant.  I reread the thread last night and she posted that she goes to a Paul Mitchell partner academy.  Paul Mitchell stresses the fact that young people are sometimes more equipped to teach there peers than older people at the profession, because they relate better.  Also Paul Mitchell has lots of programs for there students, it's not really set up like a lot of beauty schools, they have core classes, and different parts, and they can advance to different levels.  They also help out alot at trade shows.  For all we know, being a younger person (she sounds younger) she might not have typed the whole thing out accurately. 
1. She could have advanced to the second portion of her curriculum.
2. She could be in as a guest teacher or a student teacher.
3. She could be teaching some things, such as shampooing or assisting which would be quite appropriate for a newer student.
4.  If she is working at a Paul Mitchell salon they are quite big on the assistant thing, so she may need a second job such as helping out at the school to supplement her income.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is why assume the worse? And suppose the worse were true?  You catch more bees with honey than vinegar.  If she was in a bad situation, what is going to convince her to get out of it more..
"Gee, that's great, but I would maybe make sure that I worked part time at a salon as well, I'm a bit concerned that you might not be taken as seriously, could you give me some more details on exactly what you will be doing?"
or...
"Oh that's awful, that's what's wrong with schools today, the very fact that they would hire you shows how incompetent this school is." 
The latter just insults the persons sense of pride even.  Weather it is true or not, and while we can see that someone teaching right out of school is a concern, this person's sense of pride is saying "Wow, they hired me right out of school."
We aren't putting any common sense into her, we are just being offensive.  So she is automatically going to reject what we are trying to say.

hues4you
Platinum Member

Valley-
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 6:09:58 PM

Dear Valley-

What a great post.  I do not know a whole lot about the JPMS schools, but I just loved the way that you looked at this situation from all angles.  Great thought process.  You can be trained by experts to be a great teacher.  You never learn any bad habits that way.  I applaud you girl   From JPMS reputation, they would not do it any other way.  Thank you for going there. 

You do not just become and instructor.  You have to first get your liscence - then you have to go back and clock in instructor hours.  You work under the supervision of the instructors.  That is after they offer you the job.  They had to see something in her before they offered her the job.  She would then prepare as she clocked in the hours for her instructor liscence.  She does not get paid for this time. (at least that is the way it is here in TN).

Good luck.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

cutting4kicks

Posted: Monday, May 22, 2006 8:31:22 AM

cutting4kicks

Posted: Monday, May 22, 2006 8:39:32 AM
And just one more thing to add. I have no problem with people not respecting me as one person posted. That is simply not true. I am a good person who respects others and therefore recieves respect in return. I was already a part of the Paul Mitchell Mentor program which meant I have been guiding Future Professionals already for quite some time before I was hired. They love coming to me because they know the information is fresh in my mind and they also know that I am real with them. If there is something I do not know, or have yet to experience, I tell the the truth and we find out together. No hair stylist knows everything. We are all in a constant state of learning. I am passing on a Paul Mitchell system. I have been trained in a Paul Mitchell academy as well as advanced academy. That is what I was hired to do. I was not hired to teach anything but that system. We have a program in Paul Mitchell which students enter in their last 500 hours of training. That is where they really start to learn what it is like to be in a true salon environment since that part of the school is run like an actual salon. I do not teach Phase II because I do not have that salon experience. I teach them the CORE principles of Paul Mitchell. People were bashing when they apparently did not understand how a JPMS works. Also, I am now working in a salon as well as teaching. It is sad people just assumed I would never go into a salon when of course I would. I love doing hair! I said that in my first post. I could never be satisfied unless I was also getting to work on clients, not just teaching future professionals! Anywho, gotta run! Have a great day everyone!

whynotdye

It's is not about respect...
Posted: Monday, May 22, 2006 12:03:40 PM

I went to a Paul Mitchell school, and had great respect for the educators. I also had one of them mess up my color....horrible...bleeds everwhere. I found out later that the "instructor" had only had her license for 6 months.

My point is, why should they take you seriously. Say you have a mess up, even with all of that JPMS training, would you be confident enough to fix it?  These are things that you only learn through experience in the salon.

I am sure you can learn them along the way in your comfy teaching career, but is it really fair to the other students who are looking to you to teach them?

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, May 22, 2006 8:37:12 PM
Cindy- Why thank you.  That is sometimes my problem as well, I tend to look at things from all sides, even things that probaly should be black and white.
I am not to familliar with the Schools myself, I just garnered from what I have seen on DVD's and the like, and the chat you held with Winn Claybaugh. It was as if they had there own language.  I was quite impressed with Winn though, he's the only person I ever saw stay on a chat even when it was scheduled as over.  He was on even after you had left, and several people left before he did.  Seems like a pretty good person. 
I guess judging by Cutting4kicks post that I was correct though,lol.
Cutting4kicks- congrats again.  I'm glad that I got that pretty right on target.  I have to say that most of what you said seemed pretty good. 
In my personal oppinion though, once again playing Devils advocate (don't be offended, I do that) I am a bit concerned about a couple things you have posted.
The homegrown thing does sound a bit cultish.  The name and even the concept (I could picture a cult calling there born in members that, as opposed to the senior members who still had the worlds conditioning on them)  Just my oppinion, not to offend you.  While I suppose I understand the reasoning, you have not learned anyone elses bad habits yet, I find it best to be well rounded in hair culture, and then pick your favorite as you get older.  I also understand that a PM school would teach students there way, but I still think that they should be exposed to other ways, even briefly, as they may not work for a PM salon.
Also I understand that you have a very advanced on the floor program (and I think this is wonderfull.)  But you cannot compare even the busiest school floor to a salon.  It's just a whole different ball game.  I think that's why alot of your top educators have you assist after school, to get you acclamaited to salon life.
Also that is wonderful that you want to be an educator, but I would assume that a lot of cosmetology students want to be hairdressers.  And no matter how small your class size is, if that's fifteen students that want to be hairdressers that that's a fair sized number. 
However that's all I'm going to assume.  Perhaps you teach newer students, perhaps the areas you teach are limited.
I do agree with the system as far as calling teachers 'Learning Leaders'  When I went to school we had to call all of our teacher Miss or Mister and it was a bit silly.  One often felt like they were in grade school, and some of the kids acted accordingly.
As far as respect goes, I can't find who posted that.  I in some ways think you might get more respect, meaning I often have seen that eighteen year olds will act up a bit in front of people in there thirties, yet if they have some young cool teacher, they won't want to act up because they will feel like a dork.
Just good luck, be careful.  I think it's wonderfull that you are doing work in the salon, and I would keep that up.  Salon experiance is so important.

francie

knowledge
Posted: Monday, May 22, 2006 11:09:58 PM

just remember this

the more you know,

the more you know what you don't know

shiddity

i went to paul mitchell the school
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 9:08:59 PM

i graduated from Paul Mitchell the school in Costa Mesa, CA, a few years back.  i paid a ton of money to go there, now they charge even more.  while i was fairly fortunate to have educators that had actually been in salons for years, i know that they started training some students right after they graduated to go into education at the school. our class thought it was kind of funny that students graduating a few classes before us were going to be teachers.   

i agree with the posts above that teachers should have actual salon experience.  after school i became an assistant and now am doing color at an awesome salon. i loved my beauty school and had an amazing experience, however, i would advise anyone attending any beauty school to inquire about the instructors backgrounds, work experience, etc.  its amazing how much you learn when you actually work in a salon!