Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Afraid of graduating from school.
Posted By:
Posted By:cutting4kicks on: 1/29/2006 6:09:16 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Afraid of graduating from school.
cutting4kicks

Afraid of graduating from school.
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 6:09:16 PM

I attend Rudy and Kelly Academy: A Paul Mitchell Partner School. I am 2 months from graduation and I am terrified! I lve doing hair, but I am finding that I am afraid of my skills or possibly the lack thereof. I love love love doing hair! I am just afraid that I might not be ready for a real salon. Does anyone have any advice to overcome my fears and self doubt?

vivakristeana

Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 4:50:08 PM
I felt just that way. First, it take sonly a matter of a month or so for the salon enviroment & the real life profession to feel totally comfortable. Even still, if you are having trouble with certain skills- all you have to do is tell the salon that and they should be happy to accomodate. As a new stylist, the first few eeks will probably be slow- giving you time to watch the others and i belive you will feel for at ease when you see how different people do different things. Its a personal art! You are lucky to be in that school- when i was out of shcool i started at regis- and though they were so in need that the first 5 months i was able to slip by doing NO mens cuts (i was scared) later on, I had to learn all sorts of cuts by just experiment. (my shcool really didnt teach them at all!) You are probably better than you think anyhow!

hues4you
Platinum Member

vivakristeana
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 7:41:59 PM

Dear vivakristeana

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Nice to have you with us.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

BRHair
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 3:10:04 PM

vivakristeana ...

The ONLY way for you to proceed, is to fine a terrific salon in which to assist.  Any other path is a big mistake.  Even if you envision yourself doing $8-12 haircuts, you need more training than beauty school.  But if you have the ambition to achieve the higher levels of our profession, then assiting is an absolute must.

So you are fine with where yo uare with your training ... at this point you shouldn't know completely what you are doing!!  But, be sure that you interview well ... find a salon that truely has a good training program.