Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > I am so sick of Clients!!
Posted By:
Posted By:Nikklobee on: 3/16/2006 8:10:04 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: I am so sick of Clients!!
Nikklobee

I am so sick of Clients!!
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:10:04 PM

ok I am 26 and have been doing hair for about 4 years all together now. I moved to a new salon which is closer to my house and in the middle of my clients. problem is some complain that it's too far. but then again when i was closer to them,  they are the same ones who did not want to come into the salon cause again it was too far! I started out doing a TON of hair at home while i was in school and still do a handful of people at home. oh yeah and i never charge enough and it's starting to bite me in the ass! everyone is complaning about every little thing, from the color to bobby pins falling out 6 hours later!! I am just so sick of trying to please everyone that in the end i'm the one who's not happy. it's making me feel like I don't want to do hair anymore and that I am not even good enough. I have lost sight of what good hair is because it's clouded by what people want. I feel like i don't even have a say-so to tell them what looks good anymore. has anyone ever gone through this? am I nuts and in the wrong profession? what am I missing?

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 6:13:18 AM

first of all please stop doing hair at home.
secondly raise your prices.
thirdly start taking some classes again.
fourth-realize YOU are the professional.  allow for the 5 minute consultation, discuss the clients desire for their hair and then explain what/why that will or may not work and offer solutions. it is your work that will be walking out the door, your advertising.
you mentioned pins falling out (of an updo?) why were they falling out?  was the client in a windstorm? are you comfortable doing updo's?  if you're not or feel your skills need tweaking in that area, ask one of your fellow stylists to help or purchase a Martin Parson's updo dvd.  he is brilliant and a great teacher. 
fifth-when a client complains of driving so far-give this as your ONLY response "Great to see you!" and leave it alone.  be in charge and charge what you're worth.  if need be-take a couple of days off to refresh yourself! 

Nikklobee

the calm before the storm
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 4:26:37 PM
Thank you so much, I just needed to hear that from someone else!!!!

dani@chic

roll with it
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 8:49:58 PM
1st of all just remember, if eveyday is a good day then whats a good day? And obvously you are in the right profession b/c even if your clients complain, they are still your clients, if they werent happy they wouldn't still come to see you. Hey, if you want the rainbow you've got to put up with the rain

wareagle1977

Keep your chin up:)
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 7:26:08 AM
I can so totally relate...I've recently moved to a new place that for most of my clients would only be, at most, an extra 10-15 minutes.  And these are people who I KNOW can afford the extra few minutes.  I've been reading 'A Little More Off the Top' by Michael Cole and it has soooo helped my spirits stay strong!!  Don't know if it would do anything to help you but I've sooo enjoyed it!  Keep your chin up:)

lynnlynn

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 12:57:46 AM
I am SO glad you posted this (even though it was a long time ago - sorry!)! I have been feeling this exact same way and it has been driving me nuts! I am taking the advice given here to heart and it is just so good to know there are other people who have felt this way. I am just so fed up right now... I love this profession, I love owning my own business (I lease a station) but in the last month I have just gotten no joy, I come home feeling drained and tired and feeling like maybe I just suck. I have a hard time opening up to my co workers about this stuff because I am the youngest stylist in the salon and I don't want them to think I am insecure (which I probably am!) and doubt myself (which I definately do!). Ugh. It's just good to know it apparently happens to other people... tell me, did things improve for you?

Nikklobee

It's been a long time.........
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 7:27:26 AM

things are great!! Would you believe no one complains anymore and everyone comes in, I still have about 3 people that are quick haircuts @ home but NOTHING like before. I only work 3 days @ the salon and some clients try to push me around and get me to come in on my days off or make me feel like I NEED to do them right now! I simply say "I work these days." I am so much more confident and it shows in my work!

russnyc
Platinum Member

Grounding
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 9:14:37 AM
Hi

One thing that works for me is to ground yourself. You can't attract good things into your life if you are not happy. I do all sorts of things; never the same thing like

Go for a long walk.

Take a hot shower to get all the bad energy off of me after work

Use several positive affirmations just before work (My favorite is, "I attract only clients that are receptive to me and my ways") It's amazing because the clients that used to give me a hard time just don't show up, or for some reason wind up in someone else's chair.

Inspire yourself, reward yourself, if you have something that makes you feel really good, try to make a habit of repeating it throughout the day.

Don't read the paper. Don't talk negative. Make jokes, stop the conversation if it's an angry or sad one. When someone starts talking about cancer and death, find a way to switch the conversation to flowers and babies, LOL.

Finally, if you're working near someone who is perpetually negative, MOVE your station! If you can't, find a way to keep the negativity from wearing off on you- wipe the station down every morning, clean it well- whatever it's going to take to keep you in a good mood.

The toughest part is to "catch" yourself thinking negatively, and try to retune yourself to a positive state. I'm learning how to "flip" my thoughts better every day. Really try to end the day on a good note, with a laugh if you can...

Good luck!

chelseamsu

Posted: Friday, July 13, 2007 6:17:14 AM

I'm opening my own salon soon and sometimes I already get this feeling. It feels good to see other people have the same days.

russ, you once again have great advice, you should write a book!

russnyc
Platinum Member

Nickklobee
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 7:02:27 AM
Don't do hair at home.

Tell ALL your clients that your landlord found out you were doing business at home and threatened to toss you out. If you own, tell them the state found out and gave you a warning and you could be fined.

When a client complains about the travel, turn it around and say something like "aren't I worth it??!!".

Sometimes it's SO hard to turn the negative stuff around; but I'm discovering now that it's YOURSELF that makes it so hard, the toughest and greatest thing you can do is find that fountain of cheer inside of yourself because once you do, no one can take it away from you. Someone taught me that a long time ago.

Find ways to deflect the negativity someone bounces off of you- the best way is to completely ignore it and change the train of thought in a whole other direction. If they persist, you've got to cut them loose.

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 6:11:24 PM
Russnyc...have you been reading the "Law of Attraction" or "The Secret?" It sounds like it, but then again, maybe you've already discovered the things those books talk about. Great advice you gave about keeping things positive. And get the first book if you haven't already. It's very inspiring.

russnyc
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 5:45:45 PM
I read it and saw the video, I also read the original book she gleaned it from.

We work in a highly emotionally charged industry where tempers can flare, and you can absorb too much negativity very easily if you aren't careful. On the other side of the same coin we get instant feedback and positive energy that you just can't get in other careers; there are artists that slave in their studios their entire lives and never get the kind of appreciation we do. It's important to understand the underpinnings of a positive attitude because so many great things branch out from that once simple premise. Everyone sees the world from a different pesrpective and that's what makes it so beautiful.

Take the time to affirm the positive things you have and set goals because if you don't have hope, what else is there?

The