Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Issues with salon owner and mangement
Posted By:
Posted By:krysalis on: 3/17/2006 6:53:03 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Issues with salon owner and mangement
krysalis

Issues with salon owner and mangement
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 6:53:03 AM
Recently i started cutting the owners brothers hair. I know he doesnt pay for his hair cut , and  had not been tipping me for my services. well this last time he came in, got  his haircut, and left. I commented to the owner if he had left me anything? and i said to him i know he doesnt pay for his hair cut at least he can do is to tip me for my service. I can tell the look on his face that it pissed him off that i even said that to him. Now, since then he has stopped booking me new clients. His petty revenge is really pissing my off, now im considering in looking for another salon to go to. People  like himself should not consider going into this buisness if he is going to treat his employees like this. I've been in this business for 19 years and I am not going to put up with any bull sit from anyone especially  the owner!.. I need some advice on how to handle this situation professionallly, and will  not allow my self to stoop to his level.. PLEASE HELP!!!!

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 7:24:56 AM
Are you on commission or getting paid by the hour? If the latter, then you don't have a valid complaint. Tips are not always a sure thing. On the other hand, your boss sounds like a petty guy and his brother sounds like a cheapo. A free haircut and he can't come up with a few bucks for you? There is a fine line between being taken advantage of and moving up the ladder. Without knowing all of the people involved, I can't give more advice. But I would talk to your boss and let him know how you feel, without accusations. Maybe he got mad (not right, though) because of how you approached the situation, and now he's punishing you.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 3:55:48 PM
I recently switched to a new salon and in the 3.5 weeks that I was there the owner had me do two visiting friends and her mother twice - for no money. That was the tip of the iceberg though. She thought because she paid an hourly guarentee until building up clientele that she owned me for free work. Needless to say - I QUIT!
Onward and upward!

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 4:39:18 PM

If you are getting paid hourly- you have to do whatever your employer says.  Once you go over the amount agreed upon you would receive commission.

I do not offer guaranteed wages.  I had one stylist ask me for guaranteed wage.  I said, ok...  but you can't sit around and read magazines.  You have to clean, dust etc.  She said no, so she is on commission only.

What you don't understand is why would an owner of a salon pay you when you are doing NOTHING? hmmmm

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 2:48:49 AM
What I guess I did not say was this -
#1 I did not want an hourly wage but she insisted - now I know why.
#2 I did clean and dust and soforth on my down time and I would do that even without being paid a guarentee.
#3 Paying clients that did walk in or call in were giving to other stylists while I was doing FREE hair since this tied me up.
#4 I will never again take a job where they guarantee me an hourly wage if it means that they think they can get me to do hair for nothing all day long. The other things I don't mind doing but the actual services is a whole other thing!
Taya

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 3:26:09 AM
you got to be kidding Mina2.  I clean and dust, and don't read magazines, and I'm paid commission.  I assist the other stylists, hand them rollers, perm rods, shampoo hair, do garbage, do towels, fold capes, I don't read magazines but I alphabatized them (i know, i know, i really need a life.)  Sheesh, some employees just slay me.

locksylady

hey Valley!
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 4:30:54 AM
what state are you in? we like to find employees like you!! Some of the 20 something kids we hire need to be babysat all day so they don't sit around and read mags!Tayalynn, perhaps this was a test of your commitment to the salon and the owner/ employer. If you pulled it off with flying colors and did'nt take 1 1/2 for 1 haircut you probably passed. But now you quit already? It takes time to build a clientel. It also takes the trust of your employer to refer new clients to your chair. If you go to another salon and you think you're doing free work while being paid by the hour you might see that YOU ARE BEING PAID!! Did anyone tip you? were you cordial and creative? did you offer advice?Or did the owner tell you what to do and you grumpily did what she asked offering the "client" no personal touches. This was a test, how did it go exactly?

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 4:42:30 AM

Well there's one thing about being a good worker and then there is another thing about being a slacker. There is one thing about being a fair boss and there is another thing about getting free labor. We all see so much that I wrote above.

There is the legal aspects but also the leadership aspect that bosses' need to develop. I think that keeping an hourly wage hairdresser soley for the purpose of menial labor and an occasional haircut here and there to keep them quiet is just plain shoddy. I've worked like this before. I worked in a place where I wasn't even introduced to the clients as a hairdresser, Many told me that they weren't sure if I was just a cleaning lady or a hairdresser. Nice huh? I scrubbed windows, toilets, washed, dried and folded towels, watered and culled plants, cleaned mirrors, scrubbed floors, color bottles, behind the desk, I even cleaned the keys on the cash register. I answered the phone and booked everyone else in that shop, because that's who the clients were asking for. And I did it all with a big smile because I thought I was going places! SUCKER!!

That boss did not possess good leadership. She had no concept of what it really took to cultivate and create a model employee. She already had "the super duper model dream employee" that ever existed who came with the shop when she bought it.  So why give me something to do other than clean and answer the phone? You want to know why? Because 6 months after I got there the dream employee's growing allergy problems blew up and she had to abruptly quit. And guess what else? No one want the cleaning lady to do their hair. So she advertised for another stylist to come in and take over those clients......that lasted 1 month....the clients left instead. Instead of giving me a chance, because I was not presented right to them, and it really looked bad when she hired someone else.

Good leadership and being a good boss means playing by the rules of the government, but also showing your passion for what you do, instilling pride by being clean and efficient. Employees see these things and it makes or breaks the business in how you go about paying and treating your employees.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 6:49:33 AM
Thank you Habib,
You hit the nail on the head. I consider myself a professional. If my employer wanted to test me she merely had to have me bring in a model. Or she could give me paying clients and watched me closely. I would not have minded one bit. I do have a great attitude but when I see other stylists getting the new paid clientele while I do free color, cuts and styles for almost a month, something strange is going on. I have a clientele by the way but you know how it is when you move. It takes a while for them to cycle thru to your new location. And by the way, how would you account for her giving clients that I marketed with my own money by mailings to other stylists to do? I will never agree to being tested by doing services for free that I spent thousands of dollars learning to do. If I choose to offer a few free highlights in order to introduce that client to color services then that should be at my option only. I can not build up new clientele (you usually loose 25-30% of your clients each time you move) when she is tying me up with doing all of her friends hair and families hair for free. She is a stylist as well (but she doesn't want to do hair anymore). She could do these people. When you spend time doing free hair it is that much more impossible to meet your commission level since you get 0 dollars applied for all that free work to your commission level. If she wanted to offer me something toward my commission level for the week even though clients did not pay I would have been happy with that. There are other services that we all (except the princesses) were forced to do that paid nothing as well. Lets just call them her marketing offers. In the month that I was there I did about 9 of these free shampoo/cut/blowdrys as well as doing her friends. As far as I am concerned accepting an hourly wage = the boss thinking she owns you. I will never do that again. I never took it out on the clients however. I am not like that. My boss must have been happy with me as she begged me twice not to leave. I gave her another chance but she continued on with the same behavior. Nobody here will ever convince me that it was right for her to force me to do non-paying client services as some type of test when I have a commission goal to meet in order to flip over from an hourly wage to my commission. I am experienced and not some student right out of school. All she had to do was check my references and call or watch me with my own clients. By the way she also allowed another new stylist to work nearly an 11 hour day with no lunch, no break and no dinner. The stylist ended up getting a migraine at the end of the day. I brought this to thh owner's attention and her excuse was that same day call in appointments and walk-in's (which we rarely got there) were more important then the well being of that stylist. Her attitude is money before stylists needs. I doubt any of those clients will return as the stylist was so hungry and crabby after not eating all day that it reflected in her attitude. Do you really think this is the proper way for an owner to treat her stylists?
Taya

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 7:19:08 AM

Absolutely not. That owner stinks, you don't even treat a dog that way. What happens if you don't allow a dog to eat for 11 or more hours? They BITE you.

I completely agree with you Taya, there are no "tests" that are reasonable except a fully explained trial period WITH pay. end of story!

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 7:20:18 AM
Krysalis,
I would tell the owner that since the brother does not pay you or tip you that you believe the owner should credit you something for those cuts towards your commission. Don't put up with any of that nonsense. Next thing you know you'll be pressured or slyly tricked into doing other of the owners family members or friends for free. For him not to tip you on a free hair cut is completely unacceptable.
Livin' and Learnin'
Taya

locksylady

sorry taya..
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 4:30:51 AM
that is wrong!! Any free work on the clock should be counted on paper, I say you made a good move. Either the boss did this to all the stylists & they stuck it out, or they stood up to her and now she respects them. Some people are wierd like that, anyway better to not have to deal with it if it bothered you that much. You must be happy with your work environment in order to perform to the best of your abilities!! Good luck!

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 8:03:31 AM
Hi, I'm from PA.  Where are you from?  Hopefully close by, though I am going to have to relocate so it's not an issue if you do live far away, cause there are not a ton of oppurtunities in my area.  I think it's funny that you  mention twenty year old kids acting immature.  See i'm twenty-three, and I get so disgusted with people my age.  I think twenty somethings often take advantage of the fact that this is sort of a nice homey bussiness, and that sometimes owners will coddle you a bit because your there kids age.  I think that once you are out of high school, and you have gone in a trade, and finished that, it is time to act like an adult, there is no excuse not to show up on time, not to stay on task, and for goodness sake, even high school students are not expected to be late or read magazines during there off time.  Also I'm sure that a lot of these annoying twenty somethings are adult in other ways if you get my drift, so they can certainly act like the other adults in your salon.

locksylady

sorry Valley...
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 5:14:44 AM
I say 20 something kids because I have young teens at home and I am approaching mid 30's. My brother out in Cali talks about employees being 30 year old punk teens. It's almost reflexive because you remember being 20 something or 30 something and now that you're older with more resposibility you envy their youth and don't understand when they don't  have the flexibility to do more . More of everything. The longer you're in the biz, the more flexible you become because you have more financial needs. When you have kids and a mortgage and clients to please too it can be overwhelming. You look back to being 20 something or 30 something and it looks easier than your life. Though this is never usually true, the grass looks greener. By the way I am in western MA. I always used to read your posts about Robert Cromeans!! it's good to be back and have feedback from professionals such as yourself.I am going to be 34 this year and I feel middle age breathing down my neck!

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 8:30:22 PM
Oh I'm not offended at you saying that, I am offended at people my age taking advantage of that.  I think people my age take advantage of that fact and I don't know if they would do that in other professions or working for people there own age.  Now I am so bad at geography what is MA next to, is it New England, lol?  I'm sorry.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 11:53:38 PM
Iggeranse ain't no ixkuse Vally.

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 12:08:05 AM
sho aint

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 1:08:16 AM
britboy
Platinum Member
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 7:53:38 AM

Iggeranse ain't no ixkuse Vally.

This posting is incorrectly dated, see the correct recent post dated April 2? How does this happen, when it's only April 3 at 1.07 AM right now?

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 4:10:19 AM

they set it up that way to make the boards look alive when there wasn't much activity going on I think.

I used to see that a lot in the few weeks after the "huge swipe" when very few people were posting.

maybe they forgot to re-set it?

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 4:56:06 AM
Okay, thanks Brit and Mina2- not sure what that has to do with people taking advantage of there owners.  I suppose perhaps because I'm not great at geography, but I admitted I wasn't.  To me being intelligent does not mean knowing everything, it means being willing to learn things.  So yeah I could use help in that department, but I'm trying to find it.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 9:53:53 AM
Vally, please stop being sorry about everything, there's no need, we're just messin' with ya...You're doing fine, we dig ya', even if you can't point to Belgium on a map...

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 10:39:47 AM
Ummmm. Belgium! Isn't that where they have the big waffle factory! You know right near French, where they make french toast and french fries. I bet the waffle maker's bosses takes them for granted too. (Just tryin' to see how off topic I can get before you guys yell at me! - Sorry I'm bored today....)My geometry stinks too! I mean topography, geography...Where am I anyway?
Taya

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 10:53:02 AM

I dig vally too. 

too funny taya.lol

hues4you
Platinum Member

Staying on topic-
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 3:42:56 PM

Please, by all means, I would appreciate it if you would stay on topic. 

And to address the issue of BTC tampering with times and dates again, Habib, it simply is not true.  We do not now or have ever made up ficticious posters.  Like the thought would ever occur to us and we would have the time.  I am sure it had something to do with the time change over and the server catching up.  I do not know - the techies handle that end.

Thanks and have a good day.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 3:59:29 PM
Thank you Brit- I do believe that is the sweetest thing you ever said to me.  I dig you too.

And you know I dig you Habib.

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 4:41:47 PM

getalife

Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 6:17:07 PM

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 8:24:49 PM
I dig you as well getalife

getalife

Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 9:07:54 PM

backatcha!

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 3:17:08 PM
Years ago when the world used hairspray, the most popular brand in the US was French formula, and in France it was American formula.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 6:56:35 PM
OK Britboy,
Now that whole hairspray thing is just freaky. You know how people "French Kiss" here in the states? I wonder if they "American Kiss" in France? And what about that song, "I see London, I see France, I see Britboys underpants". I wonder if in France they sing "I see Denver, I see America I see Britboys boxer shortsaca." I couldn't think of any kind of bloomers that would rhyme with America.
Taya

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 10:58:32 PM
I always wonder in China if they go to fast food joints and say "Were going for American" or if they make those bad jokes, like "Hey if you talk in English they will give you free food"  And then they try to talk like we do.  That would be a trip. lol.

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 12:31:33 PM
Speaking of China Vallygrrl....remember when we were kids we used to think that if you dug a hole deep enough you'd pop out in China? I wonder if their little kids think that if they dug a hole deep enough that they'd end up in America?
Just wonderin'.
Taya

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 9:46:00 PM
Oh I remember that, I used to alway try to do that too, I would dig up our garden, my mom would get so mad,lol.