Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Struggles
Posted By:
Posted By:phorxygirl on: 3/22/2006 6:56:17 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Struggles
phorxygirl

Struggles
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 6:56:17 PM
Does anyone else ever have the feeling that the instructors forget that they are suppose to be teaching?  The school that I go to feels like a prison.  The instructors seem to forget that we are in school, and learning no less.  Help!

jo_dee0000

Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 7:47:02 PM
I was an instructor. I understand what you are feeling. also though, I have been so burned out from the students who are never happy. who nomatter how hard you try they just dont care. I quit teaching after the second straight month of driving home crying because the students didnt appreicate what you were doing. my addvise to you is dosomething nice for your instructors or thank them for some lesson( even if your are board to tears) and that little bit should make them want to do more and make learning fun again

phorxygirl

Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 8:06:51 PM
Thank you.  I know it must be so difficult for them as well.  I just feel like they have issues with answering my questions.  Yes I do ask a lot of them.  Only because I am trying to succeed at the career I have chosen.  I want to be amazing at what I do. I know that I have the drive and the talent.  I just want all the info that I can take in.  It seems like sometimes they take that as my not wanting to try.

snippets

Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 2:10:52 PM

Heh, just get through school.  It is a whole other world out there.  You might be annoying them with question after question.  In school it is the basic and theory, so just get on with it. 

When out of school lots more courses you will be taking.  So suck it up and get on with it.  I don't know one stylist who liked hair school, but thousands of us do it!!!

russnyc
Platinum Member

Hair School
Posted: Monday, May 22, 2006 11:37:02 AM
Use all of the school time wisely, refine your skills and try to work faster and smarter, always have your hands in someone's hair, up until the bell rings. The one thing I wish I would've paid more attention to back in school is updos and makeup. It is a very in demand service in my shop right now and I simply don't have the time nor models to work with now that I am working full time. Because everything is paid for by a client, I can't take any risks.

Really try hard no to miss any time, school will move much faster. I took one chosen day off every three weeks because I was also working full time in a restaurant right after school. It seemed to help, looking forward to that day off. I used only the sick hours I could, and mapped them out so school didn't cost extra.

If at all possible, surround yourself with three of the most positive students in your class, the driven ones that are optimistic and full of hope and energy. You will need them around to lift you up when you are gloomy, and they will need your good spirits too, good energy feeds on more good energy! These people will go places...

Stay away from troublemakers, gossipmongers, and pessimistic people that are constantly challenging the teachers, students, or the school system. These are the people you find working behind the deli counter years later... All of their arguements today are irrelevant to what happens to your future.

If you have a problem, try to place it in perspective to the importance of your overall education and your career. Ask yourself if you are making a big deal out of something because it means something, or you are using it as a distraction from something else.

Finally MANAGE YOUR OWN BUSINESS, and stay out of other's! More energy is spent in school focusing on other's problems. It is OK to care about other people and their concerns, but never lose sight of your own ambition over it!

Good Luck, it will go by faster than you think!

phorxygirl

Posted: Monday, May 22, 2006 5:33:15 PM

Thank you so much.  I agree completely with you on the negative people.  I realized quite quickly after looking at was making me upset and not happy with school, that it was the negative people who only had the bad to say about the school that I go too.

I do really good at not missing any days, and working on maniquin head as often as possible.  Most days though, i usually have a client.  So that helps make it go by faster. 

Thank you for the uplifting, I really needed to hear that sucking it up wasn't the only thing that could be done.  Yes I know that school sucks, and is hard.  But it is also nice to know that someone else understands how hard it can be to work, and do the school thing, along with children at home.

hues4you
Platinum Member

russnyc
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 10:35:04 AM

Dear russnyc-

Great advice!  Keep it coming!

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 12:09:08 PM

I do really good at not missing any days, and working on maniquin head as often as possible.  Most days though, i usually have a client.  So that helps make it go by faster. 

It's time to start using your head Phorxygirl, and those of everyone that you know and meet.

Hairstyling is learned only one way...by doing, so you've got to do a lot more than one head a day...My experience tells me that you'll need to do 1000 haircuts (that's a thousand) before you'll feel confident at it.

Once you get out of school you can work in a quick-service salon like Supercuts for a few months to get those 1000 paying clients through your chair...

If you do 20 cuts a day, 5 days a week in the salon it will only take you 10 weeks to do your 1000...you'll never get that type of fast experience if you go to a fancy-schmancy place, take this advice and use it...Once you have confidence you can always look for a different salon to join...To make money in this trade you must be able to work FAST, not to seem hurried, but you must be able to plow through the work, no matter if it's $10.00 clients or $100.00 clients, there's no percentage in being slow.

BUT, in the meantime, RIGHT NOW, you MUST get every person in your family in your chair, everybody that you meet in the supermarket, the garage, the gym, etc. I mean EVERYBODY you talk to, you must ask them to be your client AND GET THEM IN YOUR CHAIR TO PRACTICE ON...

DO NOT RELY ON, OR WAIT FOR THE SCHOOL TO PUT BOTTOMS IN YOUR CHAIR...IT'S YOUR FUTURE, YOUR EDUCATION AND YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO DO IT, BOTH NOW AND ONCE YOU GET INTO THE WORKPLACE.

Think of yourself as already a working hairstylist who's building a clientel and go out and build it. You'll get much more respect from your teachers if you fill your chair with clients and the school will also look more favorably on you for bringing in business for them, just like an employer would.

The big mistake that students make is playing at hairstyling, not working at it. Begin WORKING at it today.

Good Luck.

Cbeeson1@ec.rr.com

the diff BOOTH RENT / COMM%
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:57:06 PM
Okay I am going to make this short but I am working in a salon and in the interview she told me that I was 50/50 comm.. okay wjill when it came time to get bussiness cards and a ad in the paper , supplies ect she dosent pay half or all.... see the ad should help people come in but it may not.. see all week what ever I do all the money, checks, Credit card will be to me!!!! Then every friday we set down in her office and go threw my book and add up the total and half is hers.... but in the meno she tells me to put booth rent but I am comm 50/ 50 not booth rent!!!! Plus I have to work by her hours and not my own so why am I doing let this? I think I am paying her tax and mine... Why is this rong the way that this is going? I mean she is really nice and sweet person but I feel like I am not being done right!!!! Are the rule and a web page that has the rules that I can read?

gd
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 8:16:15 AM
First question, do you have a lease agreement and what does it say regarding salon rules and your rights as a renter? Setting your booth rental on a commission basis is not illegal and is actually becoming more and more common. Many booth rental salons have a weekly rent plus a percentage of total services. But, this is normally done where the salon is in a very high traffic area, does a lot of advertizing and provides the renters an opportunity for a large amount of new clients. This is the same way malls rent to their store owners, rent plus a percentage of sales. But, as a renter or independent contractor, the owner cannot dictate your work hours, set your prices, tell you what supplies to use or dictate how your work is performed and you should have a lease agreement that spells out everything completely. If the owner is setting your work hours and requiring that you be there during those hours, there is no question, you are an employee of this salon and entitled to all the benefits of an employee. This includes a guarenteed wage, workmens comp, unemployment insurance, matching social security. Personally, I would be going to another salon. But, I would like to see stylists being treated like this, to wait until the end of the year and ask the salon owner for a their W2 form because they have been treated as an employee. When the owner refuses, the stylist should call the IRS and tell them their employer will not give them their W2 form. When the IRS comes into the salon, which will be very quickly, looks at the situation and explains to the owner that all of their stylists are considered employees and that the owner now owes many thousands of dollars in back taxes, believe me she will change her salon policies. But, as I said, I would be looking for another salon, almost any salon will pay you 50% and furnish everything. I don't believe you are making a good deal at this salon, unless maybe, if the salon is giving you $2000 a week in new clients. Good luck.

russnyc
Platinum Member

Taxes
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 2:11:37 PM
Hi,

First, is she giving you a computer printed payroll check or one with the cash amount handwritten out on it? You should be getting a 8x11 paper-sized stub with the check on the bottom. All of the tax information should be printed on the stub part of the check. Companies like ADP or Paychex take care of this for your boss.

A handwritten check IS NOT good enough! You should be getting an itemized statement of how much tax and deuctions are being taken off your pay. You need to save every stub in case of an audit, it is the only proof (and W-2) you paid taxes!

There are several kinds of tax, all of them are lined up and printed on the check, such as state, local, and federal INCOME tax. You will also find a line for other deductions, such as declared tips, payouts for purchases, health insurance, 401K etc. You should be told BEFOREHAND if they are taking money for cards, etc. At the top, you will see a total that was taken of the original 50% commission. Some companies give you a printout of your daily or weekly sales on a separate paper.

NO SALON pays you straight 50% without these deductions unless you are an independent contractor and pay your own taxes.

There are also taxes that have NOTHING to do with you or your pay, such as service and sales tax, taken at the register, this is tax that the CUSTOMER pays and is separate from your income taxes. These vary state to state.

Some salons do not give you 50% until you meet a specific sales total. They usually pay you something as a base salary until you've met the sales total, or a lower percentage commission.

Some salons have a charge per day (booth rental). Booth rental is for independent contractors, you should have been aware of this when you were hired, it is usually for people that already have clientele, and they are aware of the tax obligations (You need to declare and pay your own taxes to the government)

Whatever the situation is, your boss should be able to have a clear manual or form spelling it out, or be able to explain the process clearly, make her write it out for you, if she doesn't, I would quit.