Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > I Need to Vent about my Situation!!!!
Posted By:
Posted By:cosmo on: 3/23/2006 2:11:54 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: I Need to Vent about my Situation!!!!
cosmo

I Need to Vent about my Situation!!!!
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 2:11:54 PM
hi my name is Eva, i havent been on this site in a while but i have been lurking around here from time to time looking at posts. i am very frustrated about my career right now and i just need to vent and get support. i have recieved my cos license in july of 2005 and have not been able to work in a salon yet. here is where my story gets complicated, if you were in my position you would want to pull your hair out.

But anyways....since i recieved my cos license, i had been looking for a job in a salon (i live in michigan, jobs are kinda scarce), no one would hire me, they either dont need anyone, its booth rental or they want someone with a clientele. I finally start getting hope in about last november when a friend of mine told me that this girl that works at smartstyle with her is planning on moving to NY and that they would give me a call for a job when she leaves. well it starts hitting december and still no call.

it gets worse...i live with my bf and me and him start to not get along anymore and we ended up breaking up, so i move out. i go and move down to south carolina and live with my brother. i have everything i need to transfer my license (or so i thought) and send it all in and wait until i recieve it, so i get a day job until i get my license. a couple weeks later i set up an interview with smartstyle in south carolina and i had the job and everything but they were willing to wait til i get my license in.

well.....a month rolls around and still no license, so the guy who hired me calls the state board to see what is going on with it and the lady there tells him that it is being processed and that it will take about 2-3 days before i will recieve it.

The following week...still no license so i call the state boards myself, i ended up playing phone tag with them for a few days and then i finally get a hold of the person there and i find out that my application for licensure is pending on a letter of certification from michigan. i wanted to cry, i didnt know how i could have missed that in the law. so i call michigan state boards to see how i can get a letter of certification from them and they tell me that i have to type out a letter requesting the letter of certification to be sent to south carolina state boards and i have to enclose personal info about me like my ssn, dob, dates i attended cos school, name of cos school, etc. also have to enclose a check or a money for 15.00 dollars.

so... i do that and they also tell me that it will take about 4 weeks before they will issue the letter of certification to south carolina state boards. i just want to pull my hair out at that time cuz i ended up calling south carolina state boards to see if they are able to issue me a temporary license cuz i heard that some states do that, but i found out that they dont.

so...i ended making up with my bf and he comes and brings me back to michigan and he tells me that he is going to save up money and me and him can move to south carolina together. that will probably take about 3 or 4 months to be able to do. after i get back, the smartstyle salon calls and wants me to work for them but i had to turn them down cuz my license is still being transfered to south carolina. in the mean time i am just looking for a regular job to help save up money to move back to south carolina.

this july it would have been a year since i got my cos license and i feel like crap cuz i have never been able to work in a salon yet.

the job offer in south carolina went down the tubes. after i get back to south carolina i want to work for the regis company. i just hope that they wont frown on me by not being able to work in a salon yet.

i am also wondering if any of you had been in a similar situation as me and tell me how you were able to rebound from this.
hope to hear from you all soon.
Eva

Sophiea
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 5:37:50 PM

Whaaaat?? Your license is being transfered to SC???

I think you would be certified or licensed in both states.  Your License in Michigan is still valid.  Do you have a copy of your current MI License?

I could be wrong but don't just assume you have no liciense in MI, Call and find out.  Good Luck.

And I know your young but I just have to say this...You really have to WANT to be a Stylist and it does take some serious tanasity and a good atitude.   I'm not saying you don't have those things...but if you really wanted to be doing hair right now you wouldn't let anything stop you.

cosmo

Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 5:31:19 AM
when i was transfering my license from michigan to south carolina they would not transfer it until i gave them my michigan license. this makes it difficult. yes i am very dedicated into my career and what i want from it. if i wasnt serious about this profession i wouldnt have stuck through cos school. the school that i went to was really strict on us and we really had to work really hard to graduate and i am glad for that. the reason i came back to michigan is because my license was still being processed and they told me it would take a while plus i wanted to patch things up with my bf, this doesnt make me any less dedicated to this profession, i am sure anybody would do the same. i am always looking on websites about this profession and the stuff that i can learn, i am always skimming my old text book to keep my mind refreshed and not forget what i have learned. i also have a really good attitude and i dress really professional when i was looking for jobs. i know that i will be able to start working as a stylist once we move to south carolina.
happiness is the best revenge

Sophiea
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 5:38:33 AM
Cosmo, Hi Girl.  Hang in there, I'm sorry if I sounded terse.  I'm in Michigan and I'm going to look into this license thing because if I were moving to another State, I sure would'nt want to totally give up my license from the first.  I'll get back to you.:)

hues4you
Platinum Member

cosmo
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 5:49:15 AM

Dear cosmo-

I moved to TN was back about 18 years ago to live with my parents to go to cosmo school.  I moved here from Houston.  I knew that I would be moving back to Houston.  So the day I clocked in 1500 hours - I had all the hours transferred to TX and I actually took boards in Austin, TX.  My first liscence was there.  The school took care of the paperwork for me.  You can go up to the school you graduated from for advice.  When I moved back to TN, I had to get reciprocity.  I did all the paperwork - which there is a lot - and now I only have a TN liscence.  The dept at your school knows a lot or should about all this - the dept that handles hours and scheduling board testing.  Most schools offer lifetime placement or help - so give them a call if you need help.  Good luck.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

Sophiea
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 6:19:21 AM

Good advice Cindy.

Could do you know if you can be licensed in both states at the same time or are we required to only be licensed in one state at A time?

cosmo

Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 6:33:52 AM
thanks gals, for offering support and advice. no sophia you didnt sound harsh at all, i just wanted to put out there how dedicated i am to my career and i want to get far in it. i just had very unlucky situations. thanks sophia for checking into it for me also. let me know anything you can. oh about the school, i talked to them about reciprocity before i left and they gave me anything i needed to transfer with, but for anything else they would just tell me to call and talk to state boards here in michigan.
happiness is the best revenge

hues4you
Platinum Member

Sophiea-
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 8:54:34 AM

Dear Sophiea-

You can be liscened in 2 states at the same time, probably more.  As long as they as they accepted your reciprocity and you have the liscence and you keep both current - meaning you make the renewal payments on them.  I simply chose not too. 

Cindy Farr Hester   Asst Moderator

Nic
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 9:26:20 AM

Yes. You can be licensed in as many States as you wish, providing you meet the requirements for each State. For instance, California doesn't have reciprocity with other States, so you'd have to follow their requirements for obtaining a license. Many States have reciprocity only with certain others. You can be licensed in all 50 States if you so desire.

As long as you renew your licenses and pay the required fees, you will remain licensed. Keep in mind that some States require proof of continuing education before renewing.

"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."
Winston Churchill

Sophiea
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 1:33:36 PM

Thank's Guy's...I thought so. 

So Cosmo I think it's odd that Michigan needed your License turned in to them before they could send your information to SC...??

If you had payed you fees for the usual 2 years in MI then you should still be legal here.  Unless you let it expire. 

cosmo

Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 2:10:14 PM
when i applied to transfer my licnese to south carolina, the south carolina state boards sent me a note saying that they wanted my michigan license to transfer, my michigan license is valid until august 31, 2006 but i would renew it if they didnt make me turn it into them. i am so confused, what do i do about this? do i call michigan state boards and tell them that the south carolina state boards took my license? i am still a little confused, i hope that someone can shed some light on this.

Nic
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 2:30:16 PM
South Carolina Board of Cosmetology reciprocal  licensure

Cosmetologists and estheticians that are already licensed in another state may apply for reciprocal licensure.  They must provide the Board with satisfactory proof they were licensed by examination in another state which has licensing qualifications equal to or greater than those of South Carolina and their license must be current and in good standing.

The completed application shall include the applicant’s age and they shall have the ability to read, write and comprehend the English language in order to prevent the unlawful use of hazardous and harmful chemicals.

Reciprocity Application

"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."
Winston Churchill

Sophiea
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 2:32:35 PM

Cosmo, call the State and ask for a new copy of your license.  You are still licensed in MI, you just need a copy of your license.

It will take a couple of weeks and it will cost you between 25 and 45 dollars.  Don't be afraid to ask questions when you call them.  Write down the questions before you call...they are there to help you even if they don't know it all of the time...LOL.

Here is a link to the state board of Cos. in MI.  get in there read up you can most likely even get a copy over the net.

Click Here;    Cosmetology   

cosmo

Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 4:04:02 PM
thanks, i am definatly going to check up on this and call they state boards of michigan and see what they say. i dont know what i would have done without all of your help. i will definatly update you all when i talk to the state boards of Michigan. thanks again.

cosmo

Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 5:23:37 AM
ok, so i gave state boards a call and they are going to issue me a new license. i am so glad to that you gals know all about that, thank you all so much.

cosmo

Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 1:47:45 PM

Hey just to let everyone know that i just got my license back here in michigan and i got the job back at smartstyle. i will starting this week. i just again want to thank all of you who helped me out and gave me the info. on what i need to do. thanks,

cosmo

splendida

don't stress
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 10:21:41 PM
I worked for Regis for ten years and they are an amazing company to work for! The probs you have had are not your fault. Every state has diff rules and regulations for changing your license, so sometimes those things are going to happen. The one thing I can tell you is show the manager that you're interested, visit them regularly if you're in the mall. Put an app in and keep them updated on your license status. Good luck and don't stress!