Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Head Lice!!!!
Posted By:
Posted By:Cosmogal_7 on: 4/23/2006 9:49:58 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Head Lice!!!!
Cosmogal_7

removed
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 9:49:58 AM

removed by user

hues4you
Platinum Member

cosmogal_7
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 1:08:25 PM

Dear cosmogal_7-

I sounds as if you have a kind heart.  However it is against state board regulations to cut anyone in the salon with an active case of lice.  So you did go to far.

Now, this counselor also went to far.  I am not too sure that she should not have called in social services.  Knowing this child is living in the woods.  Sounds as if she has a personal attachement to the child and she does not have a stable home enviroment and a only attending school 3 out of 5 days a week which does not fly with the schools.  The school would not readmit this child to school until she was free of nits.  Which means someone needed to treat all the sheets, the child, themselves, spray the furniture - you know the procedure for her to come back - and in order for her to get a haircut.  I think it is obvious why you got head lice.  And if you got it - others in the salon could of too.

Please, do not do this again.  1 report to the state board and you can get in big trouble.  What you did was very caring - but it did not fix this childs living situation and does not insure that the lice will stay away.  I worry for the long term future of the child.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

Cosmogal_7

removed by user
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 5:00:49 PM

removed by user

sn2bskinny

I can relate
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:04:03 PM

Hi! I know you posted this a while ago, gbut I did the same thing years ago, I felt so bad for the kid and parents it was a nice family, but I went on vacation right after I treated her and found them there it ruined my vacation not to mention my family we had to treat everyone and the house. it is a horrible feeling you sound just like me, I said that too I will never again do that (of course now its against state board regs) I check every kid behind the ears, still and that was 15 years ago.  oooh my head itches thinking about it!

Hope you are feeling better now, Have a great day!

Scottish Lassie

Itching?
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:01:31 AM

Me too, just reading this subject!  It is a fact of life, and WE are the ones to suffer if not found on a head BEFORE giving a service!  Had a case 2 months ago and saw it as I was talking to the young man.  Sent him away with info and where to buy the treatments locally, he came back last week and guess what????  He's not clear yet.  This time I had met him outside to check BEFORE he entered the shop!  He really thought he was clear because he didn't feel anything anymore - I always tell them to do ONE  MORE  treatment just to be SURE all the eggs are hatched and killed.   

Oh, forgot to say...he had been somewhere and got a haircut in between visiting me, think he would mention that to the other poor person cutting his hair...yathink?  Me either...

CHECK  BEHIND  THE  EARS  OF  EVERY  CLIENT  AS  YOU  CONSULT  WITH  THEM,  might just save you the embarassment of having to finish a cut/style and then having to disinfect EVERYTHING!  Try explaining that to other clients watching!

AMirage
Silver Member

Freaks me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 4:23:55 PM

Was working on a client once and a woman came in with an 8 month old baby. The baby was playing in the front of the salon with other children in the kiddy play area, waiting to get haircuts.

I was finished with my client when they told me about the woman and child. The child seemed calm but I know they can get quite ansy when waiting, so I walked over to consult with the woman and child. My next appointment was waiting in the reception area but she was early.

The child had hardly any hair like most 8 month old children. I observed her hair when I noticed her scratching. I looked a little closer and this poor baby was infested. I mean really bad. I've never seen anything like it before. I looked at the woman and said "I cannot cut this childs hair, she has a very bad case of head lice." Not knowing if she was too young for treatments I told the woman to take the child to the doctors and explain before hand on the phone the reason why she was bringing the baby in. She said she did take the baby to the doctor and the doctor told her it was sand fleas. I did not believe that for a minute. I explained to the woman I know what head lice look like and this child has head lice, I recommend a new doctor. I apologized and told her to come back when the baby was treated I had to get to my next client. She was the babys grandmother, and just wanted to help her grandchild. I listed an herbal remedy, along with rid on a piece of paper. Told her I did not recommend rid on a baby so young, and to please double check with the doctor.

When she left, I freaked. These people who were sitting with the child were exposed, I was exposed, the entire shop was exposed. We locked the door and the clients in. We had chemicals on the back shelf in case this ever happened and proceeded to disinfect the entire salon. I treated my head immediately and with the product on my head approached the people sitting up front. I explained what happened, and told them I would check them thoroughly, and to please excuse the delay while we did what was needed. We finished cleaning and rinsed my hair, which went up into a bun out of fear, I then washed the young lady's hair who was closest to the baby, checked her head thoroughly, and sprayed her down with fairy tales leave in conditioner made to repel head lice. I drowned myself in it too. The clients were impressed with the way we handled the woman, the child, the shop, and precautions. I did not end up with head lice but was certain for weeks I was going to get them lol. Totally freaked me out. No one came back with them, and my client who was waiting for her appointment and made to wait longer came back to me many times, never any complaints or head lice.

This was a traumatizing day at the salon for me. I still feel for that baby. This was at least 10 years ago.

I've since learned a few things with research in regards to head lice. A friends daughter kept catching them from sleep overs at a friends. I had to send her away 3 times telling her she could not play with my daughter till they were gone. It broke my heart. The third time I walked the girl halfway home and explained to her what she needed to do. I followed up with a card for her with instructions on it. I gave her fancy rubber bands, and Fairy tales shampoo, & spray conditioner.

Step 1 Treat the hair.

Step 2 Bag bed linens and stuffed animals for 3 weeks. Spray them before bringing them back to the room. Clean and vacuum room and spray with pesticide made for that.

Step 3 Wash hair every day after school with hot water, (not scalding, but not tepid) using the shampoo I gave her and the spray on conditioner. 

Step 4 Blow dry the hair with a hot blow dryer. Every day.

Step 5 Pull it back in a tight ponytail.

Step 6 no sleep over for at least a month.

When I did this the child did not get them back again. They were passing them back and forth. My daughter was treated and I again treated myself as a precaution. We never caught them but once again I freaked.

I've been told it's not that big of a deal by people. I disagree.

Good luck everyone, this is one part of our field that freaks me out to the point of getting a desk job.

May your days be head lice free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMirage

pinkparagon
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 6:58:14 PM
My scalp itches like crazy EVERY time I even hear head lice mentioned!!!

splitends

head lice case need input on
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:50:31 AM
have to give a brief backup of events before this client came to me.   She had been overseas to China on a trip I cut her hair before she left everything was fine.  She got home and cut her hair again on a Sat. she got on another plane and flew to Texas for a wedding and the gal doing her hair found nits in her hair that was a week later.  She didn't call me for another week to tell me about this.  So I am freaking out because of everyone I had done after her...................I am okay have found nothing my shop is now so disinefected its not even funny, but was it too late??   Is it my fault that I did not catch it?  Do I apologize to her???  in actuallity I am furious that they did not call me for another week to tell me about it.  I am sure they are emberassed by it (people need to realize that lice is not prejiduce)  I feel like a fool...........someone help me through this. please

in2msclkw

headlice
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 4:14:18 PM
splitends, Sounds like she way have picked them up in route to Texas. She could have been in a store trying on hats at the airport who really knows . Case in point I dont think she gotten them in your salon if she did everyone of your clients after would have said something. Its not your fault I wouldnt apologise to her you did nothing wrong. If she is trying to blame you for it I would I called every client that was in the salon that day and nobody had any problems, Best to you