Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > I feel like quiting
Posted By:
Posted By:beauty1emj on: 7/17/2006 7:58:34 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: I feel like quiting
beauty1emj

I feel like quiting
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 7:58:34 PM

I work at a very very busy salon. there are like over 30 chairs and a day spa it is just huge. so there are alot of people that work there as well.  it seems like every hair stylist dream salon.anyway we all rely on eachother to help out there because we are schduled with no room for mistake like they want us to do 30min haircuts that include consultaion shampoo cut and blow dry. and they want us to do hour and half cut and colors so we are constently booked. all they care about is being able to pay there rent at the salon which is $40,000 a month yes I know that is alot of money but each stylist brings in anywhere from $200-$800 a day so multiply that by 40 yea that is alot anyway so it takes me a little longer to do these services I like to do a good job and pamper my guest so when I need a shampoo or anything I dont get one I am constantly running like 30-45min behind and I just cant work that way  now you know what I said in the begining it is like a dream salon but I cant keep up I am stressed out all the time and I have talked to them about it and doesnt seem like they care. I have been doing hair for 6 years and I know what I am cabable of and I just cant do womens cuts in a half hour unless they have short hair and I cant keep doing this with out my team or coworkers help. what would you do??

kimtastic

start renting!
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 9:31:15 PM
You should quit and start renting. You've been doing hair long enough that you've likely amassed a decent clientele. Start the process immediately by copying down client info whenever possible (this may have to be done in a very sneaky and unethical manner). Get your manager's license and liability insurance. An accountant is also helpful, because paying taxes on your own every three months is a pain in the butt. Rent is usually paid weekly. Depending on where you're located, expect to pay anywhere from $850-1000 a month for full-time rental (I live in Mpls, and this is standard here), usually broken down into weekly increments.

It's so worth it!!!! I was in your situation once--worked like a dog at supposedly high-end salon that wanted clients in and out in the time it takes someone to get a cut at Great Clips, all the while maintaining the farce that it was such a wonderful, creative place. In truth, we were all harried (excuse the pun, lol) and worn-out, with no time for creative license and little educational opportunity. Now I make my own hours, set my own prices, come and go as I please, schedule clients as I like, refuse to do services I'd rather not (no more forced mani/pedis!!), and am generally a happier, more content stylist.

Sometimes this transition can be made more difficult by a non-compete contract and a hostile atmosphere. Salon owners often feel as if they OWN your clients and will do everything in their power to retain them once you leave--even threatening lawsuits if you attempt contact. This is bull. Yes, I understand that the salon owner/salon may have been the conduit through which you obtained your clients, but it was YOU who retained them. Trust me, once you start renting, it is difficult to fathom going back to commission.

Hang in there! Even if you don't rent, you should definetly consider finding a different salon. We got into this business because we wanted to have a fun, rewarding career, right?

beauty1emj

Thank you
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 6:10:13 AM

Thank you Thank you!!!! You totally understand me!!  That is a great plan I never would have thought of that

yea so I live in Rochester MN so guess where I work lol.  if you dont here is a guess it is a top 200 salon and in the mall.  sounds like you worked there lol lol.   Thank you again!

kimtastic

hmm.
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 7:42:41 AM
Rocco's? It's the only upscale local chain (besides Aveda/Juut) I can think of that also offers spa services? Does Regis have a day spa?

Anyway, no. My salon was privately owned and VERY upscale (we're talking haircuts STARTED at $50). At the time, I lacked the confidence and the training to deliver what I thought were worthy cuts (they only apprenticed me for about 3 months, and the advanced in-salon training was spotty at best). When I quit, I went to work for a smaller, more accessible, family-friendly (but still non-chain)salon and really took off. I paid out of my own pocket for some advanced training here and there, went to shows, took classes at shows, etc. After about a year and a half, I started renting at a salon that's only a block from my apartment, and most of my clientele followed. Walk-ins are still decent.

I highly recommend it! Startup can be a pain in the butt, but it's so worth it.

Glad to help. :)