Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Am I crazy or is this not the spot for me?
Posted By:
Posted By:hairtoday on: 7/19/2006 6:03:19 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Am I crazy or is this not the spot for me?
hairtoday

Am I crazy or is this not the spot for me?
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 6:03:19 PM
So I am 30 years old (well, almost 30) but only about two months out of school. I knew when I left school that I wanted to seek out a salon that would start me as an assistant. It was really important to me that I continue to build on my foundation.

I actually found a salon before leaving school. It was a small salon, in an avant garde section of a larger city about an hour from home. I accepted the position because this salon was involved with a lot of runway and promotional work and had great connections in the industry.

Now that I have been at this salon for a few months I realize that it has no business systems in place. The salon is running week to week, I've had late pay checks and little to no education.

I feel like it's time to find another salon to work at, and in fact I have an interview for an assistants position at another salon next week, however I also feel like I'm bailing out on my current salon.

This is a real dilemma for me, but which do I choose. Doing laundry and washing hair with no education time at a really exciting salon that has no organization what-so-ever, or an assistants position doing laundry and washing hair at a salon that has a great reputation for their assistants education, but doesn't do as much runway or promotional work.

Also, if the later is the right way to go, how do I break this to my current salon owner - whom I've become close friends with - without sounding critical?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

russnyc
Platinum Member

Hair Salon
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 8:12:41 PM
Hi, There's no organization probably because all these people work as independent contractors. I would make a decision based on two things;

1. You admire at least two of the people you work with, and both of them have diffenrent techniques. You won't get into print or photoshoot work unlless you are an assistant to a hairstylist that is already networked. You cannot expect training to be as regimented as in school, some of the best training you will get will be real world training in a salon like this. If your own talent is strong enough, I would stay.

2. You put your foot down when something like a delayed paycheck happens again. I would go to your manager and explain that it really put you in a hard place because of it, and that you can't stay if it keeps happening. Be real but be firm. Good assistants are hard to come by, and when they realize you are going to be there long term, you will gain respect by voicing out your stance. Being quiet doesn't help in an environment like this.

When you discuss problems like this one, always say something positive before and after; such as, "You know, I really like working here, but I have to ask you to please pay me on time. I really admire your work".

You may find a more structured environment, but I can guarantee finding your success in your career will take you a lot longer than where you are right now.`

Use your instincts....

Blisstone

divergent question
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 8:47:34 PM
I am currently assisting in 40 min from where I live in Denver (the reasons for this belong to some other thread). I plan on shifting to Denver probably as an assistant or entry lever stylist. How does one figure out which salons are doing editorial or runway work?

russnyc
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, September 29, 2006 3:09:27 AM
Hi, this is how you find the people to work with;

Pick out three of the biggest magazines based in Denver- Photo, fashin and entertainment. Read the CREDITS attached to the photos. After about six magazines or so, you should start to see names that keep coming up again and again.

Go to Citysearch.com. Find the salons in the area you want to work by zip code and read the reviews. Mke a note of the TOP 3 salons that sound really good. Call them and see if they are accepting resumes. You should really bring them in person.

This may be tough to do in Denver if the scene is a small one. You should be able to find at least 2 people though.

There is no surefire number for you to call or "networking website" and whatever you do, don't PAY FOR ADVICE or SPEND MONEY joining a group. the is plenty of ways to do it for free!

Blisstone

yes indeed!
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2006 8:27:51 PM
I like your voice RUSSNYC!!

I find your help incinteful, intelligent and informed. So I would like to push this further.

My companion of forever is a phenominal photographer (roll your eyes if you must but I assure he cannot be dismissed). As I develop my cutting skills he can photograph in any setting.

I understand that starting your portfolio is crucial. How best can we benefit from his talent in a creative way that serves us both?

By the way its www.GaryIsaacs.com.

Remember...bliss away the blahs.