Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Where are all the clients at!?!?!?
Posted By:
Posted By:punkybrewster on: 7/25/2006 7:06:10 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Where are all the clients at!?!?!?
punkybrewster

Where are all the clients at!?!?!?
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 7:06:10 PM
I have had a really slow couple of weeks and it is really making me reconsiter where i work! I know it is kind of slow because of summer break for people but how do i get more clients with out sounding desparate!!! I just broke down and bawled when i got home! I have a friend that just opened up her own salon about 3 months ago and i am concidering going there but where i'm working at know has been running for 20 years but they are doing alot of changes rite now i'm not soo keen on. I don't know what to do i need to talk to someone out of the salon and not family!! HELP ME ne suggestions how to get more clients I work hard and do things tip top but no one seems to care they like the pushy don't care ppl. ???

kimtastic

??
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 9:22:19 PM
You have to sell yourself. Go out, pass out cards. Act like you know what you're doing.

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 6:12:27 AM

Most of us have down time. This is one of my slower weeks of the year. So this week I do my paperwork, scroll these boards, set some of my plans in motion, make phone calls, and get involved with the community. I also research products, techniques, whats hot in fashion this year, and whatever gets my interest.

I am set up to do a pro bono event for the local high school next month. August is usually a slow month anyway. I will be face painting for donations at the local high school fair to raise funds to fix up the high school. My daughter is in her last year and many of my clients have children in the school. I have done these events for the Chamber of Commerce in the past and usually have a great time. Getting involved with local community events is great PR. Granted I already have a large percentage of these clients coming to me already but I am sure that by the end of this day I will have a few more. I normally do photo make up, or bridal make up, and find metallic butterfly's and or daisy flowers to be a refreshing break. I feel the more faces I paint, the more comfortable I get with painting faces, and it's just fun to see all the people walking around with my colorful work displayed on them. I have a vision in my head of something artistic, and wild I want to paint on someone's face. I have every intention to create this vision on someone. I am looking forward to the event.

I also built myself a website with my portfolio on it. It costs me $20.00 a month for the site. It shows my work, my style, what I do, and it's a playground for my clients, myself, and future clients to wander in. It's something you can work on during down time like this.

Do you have a vision in your head of something you would like to try on someone, but don't because you clients are paying you to do what they want, not what you want? Now is the time to try it. Get someone in your chair and swap that hairdo for a photo, or just keep yourself busy. Looking busy usually draws people to you. They want to see what your up to. Get out a video camera and video your hands doing what you do. Come up with a creative way to show people what you do.

According to my journal sheets February and October are my slowest months. I go on vacation in October. In February I hold my breath and pray for mother nature to wake from her slumber early. I am in the catskills of NY. Winters are rough and unpredictable here. I've had to reschedule many clients because they or I, couldn't get out of the driveway due to ice or snow. We all adapt.

Go take a class you always wanted to take. I try to set them up during my slow times.

Do research at times like these. I've been where you are. Don't let the disappointment get you down. If your seriously thinking of moving your chair elsewhere then look into it. Sometimes a change of scenery is all you need to get up beat and positive. Maybe work both places until your sure where you want to be.

There is a class of people out there who do care. I find the working class to be the people who care. They not only want to look their best because their position warrants it, but they also like to relax a few minutes. I work evening and weekends, all the hours no one else wants to work because I prefer my clientele to be the working class and thats the only time they can come.  

I hope you find what your looking for. Good luck with whatever you do.

AMirage

hairchic
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 3:12:32 PM
Great Ideas AMirage. I believe I will also take some of it. I'm also filling some of this down time (I'm a BR) and am setting up my years marketing plan to keep clients coming in and appreciating them. Right now doing a back to school mailing to my stay at home moms and students AND teachers. I also get so little time to spend at home with my family I can really take the time now and TRY not to worry about the income and scale back on my spending. Lunches at home and rather than hit the mall I'll go home or to a friends for a dip in the pool.
In a perfect world I would have prepared and saved $$$ for this down time. I'm fortunate enough to have a great boss who rather than lose a stylist he allowed me to go on commission for the summer to be re-evaluated come fall.

hues4you
Platinum Member

punkybrewster
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 4:47:08 PM

Dear punkybrewster-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the boards rules in the green box above.  Sounds like you are already getting some great advice.  This time of year is usually slow do to last minute vacations and back to school cost of clothing and supplies.  You will pick up soon.  Use your time to think of ways to build. 

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

AlenaL
Bronze Member

Also slow...
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 7:23:21 PM

I am so glad someone else is out there that I can relate to! Unfortunately, we have to experience these downtimes... I've only been at my place for a year as of yesterday, so I am still building clientele. I feel like the weeks were I was making 3 times what I have made the entire month of July, were never real! Today was a good day, but anyways.

I got my book out and spent a few bucks on cute stationary and typed up some offers for the months of August and September to try and prepare myself and keep my clients coming in. I am offering 10/20/25% off of certain things and I just ordered more business cards. Hopefully things will pick up. They always do! I'm just so frustrated with never knowing what I am going to make!  I want a new car, but how am I supposed to know if I am going to bring in 4,000 a month or 1,200? I guess once I have been at one place or at least in the same town (previous salon was an hour away) for more than 2 years things will be much better. That was great advice everyone has posted!  

punkybrewster

thank you
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 7:32:11 AM
Thank you guys for all the help. Yesterday was a much better day. Allthough today i don't know if it looks so great. I am 20 years old. I have been working as a hair stylist at this salon since i was 17. So i am a youngn. I went to a carrer tech school my last two years of high school that is why i was so young starting out. I love the people i work with which is awsome! Alot of my age clients are really wishy washy they don't rescheldual and they wait months at a time to come back so that is hard. I know i need to just keep my head up but the other day was just a really bad day. Thank you for all your input it really helped me out!

CJ

Weeklies
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2006 4:29:23 PM
I know this is gonna sound terribly old fashioned to some of you, especially those of you who don't prebook and those who "don't do rollers".

Cultivate the clients that "need" us on a weekly basis, whether for that fab blow-out or something as mundane as a roller-set. They're usually the ones that are loyal to the end, get perms every 3 months religiously, colour every 4th set, etc. I know many of the newer stylists don't like doing perms, but doing a GREAT perm is an asset. Small section, no tension, rinsing well, and really catering to them will get more people in the door, especially now that texture is back "in". Short hair should take no less than 2 hours, if done right.

Build yourself.

Remember, it's not the 'fun' stuff that pays the bills, it's the 'regulars', whether weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly.

Remember, you're not only doing their hair, you're an integral part of their weekly lives, and YOU determine how their week goes, in many cases.
http://www.skwij.ca >>-))o>