Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Mortality
Posted By:
Posted By:tat2draven on: 8/12/2006 5:10:07 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Mortality
tat2draven

Mortality
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 5:10:07 PM
I had a woman come into the shop today to get a hair cut and highlights. Well when I finished she started crying and I was worried that she didn't like it. Then,she told me that she loved it and she was very pleased. So I asked her why she was crying and she said "at least this is what my hair is going to look like when I die." OOok- so this floored me and I had to ask the dumb question, what do you mean? She then precided to tell me how she has breast cancer and she has two months to live! What do you say to that? I was speechless, I didn't know what to say....so of course she sees this and says its ok, that she has come to terms with it and that she has lived a happy 45 years. I told her that we should schedule an appointment for three months and I'll be looking foward to seeing her again. I really hope I do see her again...this is a situation that really makes you think about everything. What would you have said to her?

hues4you
Platinum Member

tat2driven
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 9:06:45 PM

Wow!  You know we sure touch the lives of many people.  Sometimes you experiences tears of sadness and then there are tears of joy.  I think you probably touched on a little bit of both there, but mainly joy because she was happy with the acceptance with her situation and knowing she was going to a better place and she really felt good about how her hair looked for her final destination.  I think she knew by the look in your eye that you truly felt for her.  And I think you will probably see her one more time.  Just say a little prayer or whatever you do in your own way.  I think you handled everything just fine.  We touch many people in our careers in many different kind of ways, and you just shared a special gift today, this may very well be her final hair service and it made her feel beautiful.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

tat2draven

Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 8:19:45 PM
Thank you Cindy. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and that day I was just feeling down and needed a boost about my career choice. I was going to school to be an x-ray tech. before I became a stylist and my family is still trying to come to terms with my choice almost 5 years later. This situation and that woman reaffirmed my good choice...I'm glad I gave her something to feel happy about, but honestly I think I was the one that was touched the most. Some people become stylists for all the wrong reasons, I now believe I choose to become one for all the right. And if I don't ever see her again, I will always remember her.