Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Co-workers, why do they have to be so rude in front of customers?!
Posted By:
Posted By:NewGirl on: 8/12/2006 9:13:02 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Co-workers, why do they have to be so rude in front of customers?!
NewGirl

Co-workers, why do they have to be so rude in front of customers?!
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 9:13:02 PM

I'm fresh out of school and landed an amazing job being an assistant. As nerve racking that this is I have a coworker whom feels the need to boss me around and tell me my flaws in front of customers. I've had nothing but compliments from the owners and hairstylist until I worked with this chic today. So therfore my confidence level went down the tubes all over again. I don't know if I should say something to this woman since I just started so any advise would be great. I'll give you some examples of what she said to me:

"you know you should smile more and talk to the customers more. a customer just asked me if something was wrong with you, you dont seem like a friendly person"

First of all I do talk to the customers, I'm not stupid!!!

then she said to me in front of the customer, "you know you need to work faster, ya know push yourself"

I have blisters on my feet and did not sit down the whole day. Thankfully the customer said something to the owner about that. By the way she is an assistant just like me. I always look for advice, I just dont want this woman to make me look like an idiot. I'm so fustrated I need to vent!! Thanks!

mskb

Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 4:27:50 AM

Your work will speak for itself. The staff and owners will see how hard you work and this woman doing this will be the one looking like an idiot.

I would tell her how you feel. Let her know that you do your job and unless the manager or owner has a problem with your work ethics then she should mind her own business. And only take the feedback from the manager or owner straight from them. Don't let this woman ruin your confidence. She's in the same boat as you learning and assisting. Just do your work, be kind to the clients and coworkers and learn all you can at this stage and throughout your career. Don't let this woman throw you off track.

Good luck,

Marla

hues4you
Platinum Member

New Girl-
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 8:15:35 AM

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Great advice Marla!

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

NewGirl

Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 10:02:23 AM

Thanks for the advice Marla!!!! : )

mskb

Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 1:48:20 PM
your welcome newgirl

russnyc
Platinum Member

Rude coworker
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 6:49:01 PM
Hi, Sounds like she's a little insecure about her own job, or staking out her territory. The next time she decides to tell you just what to do, or if it is in front of a client, speak right up and say that you would prefer to talk about it later with the manager present. You should also say, "You know, you should really mention it to my manager". Say it with a big, full on smile too, that will drive her crazy, Say, " I really like to take my time and do it right the first time".

I had a coworker that would constantly say things like "Well, that client said something bad about you". This was IMPOSSIBLE to prove because it wasn't appropriate for me to contact the client, so the next time she says she is getting complaints about you, you need to approach a manager (in front of her) "You know, we should really call the client back, and get to the root of this". Watch her face very closely when you say this, because if she is lying, she will not want you to call the client back!

She is cleverly casting doubt on your abilities to keep you in your place. If your manager doesn't set her straight soon, you need to let her know, because it is destructive behavior that can bring the whole salon down.

tat2draven

Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 8:43:20 PM

Unfortunely some people give advice in the worst ways. Do you think she is intentionally trying to make you feel bad? She might just be trying to help you out...but she's wrong to do that in front of customers.

Remember, you do have to work with this girl and you want things to be as pleasant as possible...If it were me I would tell her that you appreciate her advice and you are glad she's being supportive, but ask her nicely to only do it when customers are not around. Kill her with kindness. She is probably just a little jealous that you are getting such good comments from the owner and she's been put on the back burner. Just be as nice as you can, she will more than likely warm up. If not, you should take it up with the manager.

NewGirl

Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 9:11:10 PM

Thank you soooo much russnyc & tat2draven!!!!! I actually spoke to my managers friend. Turns out the manager called her to speak about this matter because she over heard her speaking to me in a tone she didn't appreciate. I am not about the drama that is why I keep my mouth shut. I just want to learn and work!!! I love my job, I finally fulfilled my dream that I always wanted to do and I have to talk my way into believing I can do it. It just puts a damper into it when people like this come along. But thanks again for all your advice!!!!! 

On another note anyone have any recommendation on any good DVD's on hair coloring and hair cutting? Also do you need a license to go for classes at Matrix (I'm in NY)? I'm waiting to take my state board.

Thanks you been a great help!!!!!!

russnyc
Platinum Member

tat2draven
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 7:06:18 AM
HI tat2draven,
I gave the advice based on all of the criteria; that other people had nothing but praise for her work... and based on my own experience

It isn't really appropriate in ANY situation that a coworker that is not a manager critisize another coworker, especially in front of a client! That is what a manager is for.

This is a board where everyone's advice is appreciated, thanks for sharing your opinion!

tat2draven

Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 9:44:00 AM

Russnyc, I'm sorry if you missunderstood me, I think you gave great advice. I wasn't referring to your advice or anyone elses on this board, I was simply talking about the co-workers advice and how she was handling the situation. 

I agree that no one other than a manager and the client should critisize anyones work. But I welcome constructive critisicm anyday as long as the situation is handle appropriately.

AlenaL
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 8:54:31 PM

When I was assisting, I got so aggrivated with people saying things, too! And you sound a lot like I did.... I didn't think I knew everything, but when I didn't take their "advice" so well, or they could tell it annoyed me, I came off as thinking I was a know it all...  My boss once told a class she was teaching and I was in, " When I go into a place and meet other stylists on my level, I listen to what they say and watch what they do. Even if I think my skills are better, I pretend for my own good, and to look good, that I have no clue what I am doing."  And I try to take that approach nowadays.  You probably went to a very good cosmetology school and probably better than the ones around you, so you feel better somehow (if that makes since?) and you just feel proud of yourself for finally getting out there in the real world.  Assisting is great and you will gain so much, but sometimes you have to just take people with a grain of salt! And you did the best thing: vent on here...not to the other people you work with. Your new, they want to intimidate you and once they see that they don't get to you--they'll let you "in".  That's how it was where I was working and we were like that to other new people. Unfortunately that's just how it goes sometimes. I'm sure you're doing wonderful if the owner and other stylists say so! Keep your head up!

NewGirl

Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:37:42 PM

Thank you AlenaL!!!!!! Your advice it great!!!!!!!

Today was a good day we had a meeting and the "coworker" seemed fine with me. I really love this field and I want to learn sooo much that is another reason why I am on these boards...they are amazing!

Anyone from NY here suggest any good color classes. I heard Matrix is good. Any feedback would be great!

Thanks Again all!!!!!