Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Need some cheering up and support
Posted By:
Posted By:jodymaryk on: 9/21/2006 6:58:16 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Need some cheering up and support
jodymaryk

Need some cheering up and support
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 6:58:16 PM

Ok, I am feeling like a loser today!  I have been in this business as a boothrenter for 14 years and my salon recently moved (3 weeks) to a much more upscale location.  We had been in the ground floor of a retirement apartment and now are on a main street with lots of upscale apartments and businesses around us.  I have always thought I did good hair, especially color which I have really spent time and money on education.  My weakest area is probably finishing styles on younger people as alot of my clientle is 40 plus.  Now we have younger people coming in in their twenties and thirties, very high maintenance and picky and I am feeling a little out of my element.  I think I just need to get my confidence up with some extra styling classes and things.  Any suggestions on where to look for some more education on finishing styles? These young women with curly thick hair that want it perfectly straight, but want layers?  I don't get it?  Try to do that without it looking straggly on the ends.  Sorry, I'm rambling, but I spent 1 1/2 hours today trying to make a 23 year old happy with her style that looked great!  First she wanted swooping bangs, then when I did that, she wanted them to curve toward her face.  I am just really frustrated here.  Is it just me, or does this happen to other people.  One of my co workers was listening to all of this and said it wasn't me.  I just feel I need to step up a bit on styling and not sure where to get it.  Ok, sorry to rant, going to go take a half a valium now!  Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me.

doinghairagain

Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 4:24:31 AM
I know how you feel. What I do for young girls, is put a straightening serum or lotion on and use my hand to pull the hair down while blowdrying. When it's dry, I use a skinny flat iron  quickly all over, I part it where they want it, then let them play with the bangs themselves. I just flat iron them all !  You can change the look after that with a styling hairspray if needed.

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 5:26:31 AM

My ceramic brush is my friend. With my blow dryer setting on hot I can smooth, and bend the hair in the direction I want it with volume at the roots, smooth mid shafts, and wispy ends. I also use smoothing serums to help control the hair.

If you want to know what the younger generation wants, just look at the celebrities they are watching. And don't forget to tell them that Jessica Simpson has a trunk full of extensions and hair pieces, so does JLo, so does Mariah Carey, and Paris Hilton. You will find the occasional, can't please for nothing clients. But don't let their issue become yours. If you feel the need, pass these clients on to someone who can relate better with them, and leave yourself room for the clients you are more in tune with. I don't do roller sets. I can do them, and do them well, but I find it monotonous, and I find they book too much of my time and don't leave me enough time to do the things I love to do. I also don't do perms, I can do them well but choose not to, my reasons are, I cannot guarantee a perm, hormones, medications, and damaged hair make them too unpredictable in my opinion. I do not knock people who do these services, they are just services I choose not to do.

Good luck with this, and don't let it get you down. We all get those days.

AMirage

hues4you
Platinum Member

jodymark
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 5:47:47 AM

Dear jodymark-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  I am so sorry you are having these issues.  Remember during your consultation phase, these younger clients are no different than you older ones.  Hair is hair.  If you know for a fact, that come hell or high water - the hair will not do that - explain to them their options.   The advice given to already is excellent.  Teach your clients how to style their hair and charge for it.  Barex Italy Hairgomine is an excellent blowdry smoothing gel.  GHD Flat Irons are excellent flat irons.  You can retail them.  Your clients will buy them.  Set up a self service station in your salon in case they want to do their own drying.  Be aware that extensive daily drying of this type can cause carpel tunnel and tendonitis in your arm.  Take care and much success to you.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

luvlygrl78

booth renting pros and cons
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 3:29:34 PM
I am a booth renter also, for 3 years now. I am a younger hair stylist and I find that renting is great because you can have your own little buisness but the cons with that are, you have to be driven and responsible as in keeping records, which is the hardest part. Its hard to keep records since we were mostly trained to do hair...as in styling, technique and that sort. So when it comes to keeping miticulous records with your appointments and with income and expence and sales there isnt really a program that ive found to help. If anyone knows of a great system weather it is pen and paper or some kind of computer system Id really like to know.

AlenaL
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2006 3:16:59 PM
Amirage--Finally! Someone else who doesn't do perms and roller sets! I don't do either of them for the same reason as your self. Other girls I work with have ladies that they have done for years that come ever Thurs. and Fri. Sometimes if they are out and know it well in advance, to do them favors, I take their people on for them.... I felt wow...pretty good. I will have 8 people for my morning til mid afternoon--should be pretty good money. Turns out, after doing roller sets and blow outs on these older women and taking the same amount they usually pay their normal stylist....for four hours... I made a a whopping 80 dollars.  I just couldn't believe these girls are spending so much of their time doing that! There are other ways to get that same look or even better without doing a roller set.  They may be making more money than me now, because my book isn't crazy filled up every 30 min yet, but at least I know in the future it won't be filled up with 80 dollars for 4 hours. And I hope no one thinks I am bad mouthing people who do that, I just hope they realize how much money they COULD be making. Especially when they are in high demand! Anyways, glad to see I wasn't the only one! 

CopaGirl
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:24:28 PM
Alena, I agree 100%! I don't do perms or styling of any kind. Except a blow/dry of course. I specialize in cutting and coloring and I don't like to work on hair that has had it's texture chemically altered. I really don't want to be jack of all trades, master of none. I think you should specialize in what you're best at.