Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > I QUIT GREAT CLIPS, now thinking it was a mistake! New to industry, need advice PLEASE!!!! ( LONG)
Posted By:
Posted By:GirlyHair on: 10/10/2006 8:16:19 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: I QUIT GREAT CLIPS, now thinking it was a mistake! New to industry, need advice PLEASE!!!! ( LONG)
GirlyHair

I quit Great Clips, now thinking it was a mistake! New to industry, need advice PLEASE!!!!
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 8:16:19 PM

posted this on a message board for some advice from other stylists so it might be all over the place and redundant:

Hey everyone. I'm a new graduate out of cosmo school, graduated back in April of this year. I filled out tons of applications before I accepted a job at a local Great Clips. As most of you may know, school just teaches you how to pass state board, not to really cut hair all day.

Well anyway, I had been working there for a bit over two months and things were not going well for me. I was so tense and nervous everyday, although it may not have shown, I was. I would dread pulling up in the parking lot and hated when customers would walk thru the door, especially with 3 or 4 children and the moms had no idea what cut to give their kids, but had a fit if it was something they didn't want. Great Clips gives you a 3 days "training" session, but it was no more help than the way the schools taught. I was tired of the picky guys who had to look at every clipping of a cut I did, and I got tired of feeling like each person that walked thru the door didn't want me to cut their hair just by the expression on their face. Finally, I just had enough of feeling worried and edgy everyday at work, and each day hoping i don't jack up someones hair. So a couple of days ago, I called my manager and told her about my frustrations and quit. At the time, I felt it was the right thing to do, because of the emotion I felt each day there.

Now I feel like it was a big mistake. I got a good hourly rate, the tips were decent-i had cash on hand everyday and didn't have to break into my bank account, it was only a 10 min drive from home and there are walkins, so I don't have to get on the stomping ground for clients. And the more I would've just tried to stick with it, the better it probably would've gotten...I mean I was doing 11 cuts on average a day. I would feel like a complete azz if I called and asked for my job back, I know the other coworkers talked about me badly and probably glad I left because I was taking their hours and messing up their productivity because I was much slower than they are. It was just a rash decision. I still have a partime job,doing makeup, but I didn't go to school just for makeup. I cant think of any other salon I could work at that pays hourly and I get good tips. I spent the last couple of nights down and depressed and dont know what I"m gonna do because I feel like I've given up. If I really wanted to do hair, I should've just stuck with it. Now what????? How will i be able to get in practice a\t a regular salon that barely has walkins?

I just feel like it was stupid to give up a good paying job. My boss at the salon I do makeup at offered me an apprenticeship position, but I just didn't want my career to be left in his hands. I wanted the exprience from GC, but not being strong enough to endure the stress, I just quit like a got a load of money in the bank. I should've tried to stick it out for atleast a few more months. Maybe i can try another franchise that's similar????? It's just ssoooooo hard to build clientel at full service salons. at one point I was doing hair on the side, charging a bit of nothing, and still had a hard time building client base. What makes matters worse is that my student loans first payment is due this month. What a jackazz I was to quit.

Part of me wants to call my manager and ask for my job back, but on the flip side, she might feel like I don't want to be there after what I've told her, so maybe it's best I leave it be. I know in the future I will be making good money again, just hate I gave up so quickly. Now tomorrow I'll have to job hunt again, UGH! and I know most salons you make $7/hr or less which sucks. I really want to do this, I fantasize about doing hair and makeup and nails, it's just getting thru that no-confidence barrier.
 I love the boss at the full service salon, he is very willing to help, but see, I'm african american, and he's asian and most of his clientel base are caucasion women, and anytiem i mention black hair, he thinks it's ghetto, nappy, and out of date, which isisn't fair to me because alot of my clients will be african american....I'm just rambling on because I"m frustrated. Atleast I had a job. I feel ungrateful quitting like that. I'm more miserable now than I was when I quit.

I used to work a fulltime desk job with benefits, after a few years I began to hate it, but now, I feel like just going back, atleast I'll have my income back. I'm only 26 so I don't want to let my life pass me by. I feel so hopeless.
Would I be foolish to ask for my job back????? I think i'm thinking more of the money than how nervous I was..........

Advice please. Sorry so long.........

SouthernGuy
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:19:59 PM

hues4you
Platinum Member

Girlyhair
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 5:12:39 AM

Dear Girlyhair-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  I am so sorry to hear of your frustration.  It is quite normal to get out of school and to experience some anxiety about your work and be scared.  I think you have realized you have to stick it out and work through this.  Apprenticeship is a great option if it is a real program - not just getting stuck behind a shampoo bowl.  If you really feel you made a mistake by leaving Great Clips - I would call them back and explain your situation.  A salon such as Great Clips is used to working with people right out of school, and I would think that this has happened before.  Southern Guy is offering great advice.  You are correct, you must get right behind that chair and keep on going.  Good luck to you.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

ZarahArlene

I agree
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 8:20:23 AM

I agree with the last reply about the whole apprenticship thing, But I also think that in this bussiness quitting IS part of the growing process. And let me explain why... In the beggining I hopped around alot too,Because I thought I was ready to be a stylist. but I got wise really fast when I got my first chair after being an assistant for so long I quit that job. I was tired of being "the bitch". So this place was a GC sort of place I was there for two weeks when the boss had called me and said "We have to let you go" naturally I asked why, and she said there were too many complaints about what I was doing to people..Like I said I got wise...It made me think about things like you are now.ya know life, "what am I doing"..."am I cut out for this?"...but then I thought...on one hand I did this to my self, but on the other hand while I was there no one wanted to help me, and show me what I "wasn't doing right"! I took matters into my own hands! I started to take as many classes as I could,and went to hair shows, brought my video camera with me so i could study things later. I asked questions and I still do and guess what I learned something!!!5 yrs and several salons later I work at a Salon called Hello gorgeous for 2yrs now. I have a wonderful boss and a decent clientelle. I'm helping the assistants learn new things and I now know why I was "the bitch" so you see I always tell people that being a hairdresser and doing hair is like hand writing we all have our own signature our own way of doing things,but its the people that helped you learn how to do it are the ones that bring you full cirlce. I have a class that i'm taking next week.... it neverends and you know what? I love every minute of it!

ZarahArlene

hues4you
Platinum Member

ZarahArlene
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 4:57:59 AM

Dear ZarahArlene-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  We look forward to your participation.

Cindy Farr Hester

wazzup2069

You will be great
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 10:02:58 AM

Dear Girlyhair,

Ive been in this industry for about four years. It can be very hard at times when you are first starting out. Having to build a client base,feeling like your the only one in the salon that takes so long to do a simple clipper cut. Maybe afraid to ask your co-workers for advice for fear they are going to laugh. Its all normal. Believe this Girlyhair, we have all felt this way at one time or another. Even the most experienced are still learning.That is the beauty of this industry the sky is the limit. You get your basics down and befor you know it BOOM you my dear have your Own unique style.

Great clips puts you right in the there quick. In my opinion a good start. So you may have spoke befor you thought about what you really wanted or needed.So have I many of times. Thats just life , again we are all guilty. It sounds like you have already made your mind up to me? In your letter you said you have african american clients and that he calls african american clients hair nappy ect. Why GirlyHair would you lower your standards to work under someone that does not share your same passions for the industry.You know and appearently he does not . Hair is hair.

Belive in yourself.Always ask questions,then ask more. Have your co-workers show you how they cut or color.Sure you might think they dont want you to ask,but deep down they do. I love it when one of mine ask me how did you do that. What a great way to compliment anothers work. Watch everybody you will pick up something from them all. Take some classes, visit some of the other salons in the area. We are the Best group of people in the world.Creative,spunky,smart,fun,ect.

You are going to be Great believe that. This is the Best Industry .Wow ! Go out there and show-em who you are . Get pumped up . Heck give out a scream. The skies the limit so go for it.

You Go Girl. Good Luck To YOU.See You At The Top

hues4you
Platinum Member

wazzup1069
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 4:59:54 AM

Dear wazzup1069-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Great advice on this thread!

Bayareahairdesigner

Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:10:56 AM

I agree with Southernguy (BTW I am from SC originally).  As I started the business I was part owner in two other businesses in Anchorage Alaska, one being a large salon in downtown back in 1982.  I apprenticed under 7 professional people where I learned the proper manners and talk on how to present yourself as a designer.  Being surrounded by professional successful people taught me the mechanics of how to be the businessman I am today.  This oppertunity may be one to look at and not burn a bridge.

Great Clips can be a wonderful stepping stool to starting your career.  I worked in Super Cuts for 4 months when I moved to Santa Barbara in 1988 and as I worked that grousing job I looked around at the salons and politely introduced myself to the owners and made contacts.  I knew well I would not be there for long.  Because I stayed focused and diligent I had the pickings of where I wanted to work when it came time to make a decision.  When I went to the salon I had 5 people follow me and the referals from them just mounted.  I stayed there successfully for 6 years till when I met the love of my life in my chair and moved to the Bay area.

This is an important time for you.  Stay focused on your career, educate yourself in the field, talk to everyone you can, and surround yourself with successful people.  If you do that, trust me the rest will follow.

h10134

Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 12:34:26 PM
I think that you take what you learned from Great Clips and move on.  If you really feel like you need help or a stepping stone in the right direction, I recommend two salon franchises: Fantastic Sams and Sport Clips.  Both are really good with continuing education and if you find a good manager or stylist to take you under their wing, they can help you out a lot.  

hues4you
Platinum Member

Bayareahairdesigner
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 6:49:11 PM

Dear Bayareahairdesigner-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Excellent advice you gave.  Glad to have you on board.

Cosmogurl81

Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 2:15:29 AM
I know this is really off topic, but hey Bayareahairdesigner which part of the bay area are you from? I'm from the bay area myself. I just got licensed recently and I'm having a hard time finding an apprentice/assistant job. Know any salons?

GirlyHair

Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 4:54:47 PM

I want to thank everyone for responding and giving such great advice and most of all, reading my 2 page story! LOL.  I'ts been a few weeks now since I've quit and I've adjusted to the lost of income, I'm back to penny pinching and scapping, but i feel so much more relieved. I know deep down that GC was NOT for me, bottom line, no matter how much they paid. Feeling sick to my stomach upon pulling up on the parking lot for work, cutting on unclean hair, and chopping on someones hair as a fast as I can like I just don't care (what's the point of being stylist) is not the way to go.

i thought I was unappreciative for quiting, but another blessing will come around soon. For now I'm just gonna have to fill out applications at other salons and well wing it at a desk job to supplement my income. It's not that serious to have a breakdown and call them back and say 'oh, i changed my mind, i was just kidding about quitting", because that is what it's gonna sound like and if they do let me come back, a few weeks later, i'm gonna feel the same way and post on this again, lol. Not only that, unless by chance i all of a sudden get a strong desire, cutting men's fades is not on my list of accomplishments as a stylist. So stressing myself daily to perfect those was useless. I know it's good to know how to cut mens hair, and I know the technique if I ever have to go back to it again in future.

Oh and h10134, I almost got hired at supercuts and loved the setup of the salon, it looks like an actual salon, and they do color, waxes, cuts, and updos. However, because i am a receptionist at a salon, that i stressed to them i only do m/u and nails at, and won't be doing hair there, and I really want to work for Supercuts they said it would be conflict of insterest, like i'm gonna steal clients and get people that pay $12 for a cut to come by a salon that charges $36 for a cut and $85 for hilites???? LOL. They go to supercuts for a reason, the prices. If anyone cares, lol, i'll keep you all posted on my situation. Again, ladies and gents, Thanks a ton for the advice!!! It really means alot to me seeing that other stylist care and take time out for us newbies. ;-))

Krystalistic

Very Similar
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 2:55:07 PM

I too recently graduated from cosmetology school (back in May of this year) & Great Clips was my first job in the industry. Your Client situations sound identical to mines as well.

I'm now looking into being an assistant stylist at a salon I feel would best fit my personality and goals . I also want to gain more experience & build up my skill level.

Like You mentioned, One of the Pros of GC is that you don't have to worry about keeping a full book and the money is fast & to me that's where the pros end. You can only go so far at a place like GC in my opinion, but I'm using my experiences to my benefit whether good or bad.

But you did what you had to do & There will always be a trade off. I see it as if we both are in the same boat. I'll be rooting for you.

popgyrl
Bronze Member

I know I'm a bit late....
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 6:47:01 AM

but I felt I could offer some advice to other people searching this thread.

First of all, congratulations on quitting a job that made you feel bad. I have worked for one of those chains before, and I can tell you that the "training" they offer will make you a crappy hairdresser. Unless you are a total prodigy, or had some training at another salon, working right out of school with nothing but that training will develop sloppy work habits. You will never completely leave them behind. It's the fast food of haircutting, they train you to work quickly rather than working well. With the right training, you can someday work well and quickly.

In my experience, a new stylist needs an hour to perform a good cut. The fifteen or twenty minutes they allow makes it impossible to perform a solid service without really affecting quality when you have no idea what youre doing.

My advice would be to think about exactly what type of hairstylist you want to be, and then work as an assistant or a junior stylist at a salon that offers weekly or bi-weekly organized training classes. It might mean that you would have to work in a salon that intimidates you, but it would be well worth it.

Look for a medium to large sized salon that does the type of work you would ultimately like to do, get a job there and bust your butt folding towels and shampooing.

It dosen't have to be the salon you want to work in for the rest of your life.

Think of your time assisting as being a time dedicated only to your own growth and skill development. Don't let it feel like slavery! You will flourish, and what youre gaining from them will more than make up for how the day to day work feels. Putting up with attitude from cranky Master Stylists will pay off the day that you are a better than them. If you do it right, you will be.

Focus your efforts on being the best assistant they ever had. Go to all the training classes and work hard, learning everything you can from them. Find a mentor in the salon, and stick by them every minute you can.

Don't assist anywhere unless they compensate you with organized regular training!

I'd reccomend finding a large company with a good name (think Sassoon, Dellaria, Toni&Guy, Bumble).

The next best thing would be a medium to large sized local salon with an affiliation to one of these companies, or a large product company (like Paul Mitchell, Aveda, Wella or Bumble).  These companies put lots of money behind training employees from salons that commit to using thier products. Look for a large, well organized retail display from one or two companies as a clue to finding a salon with good training. In my experience, the retail display conveys the level of professionalism in a salon.

The type of place you want to work for will work on building your technique right from learning how to do a perfect one length, and will make you perfect on each technique before allowing you to move on.

Grow! Learn! Run with it!

krysalis

anyone worked as a manager for great clips?
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 4:24:19 PM
I've been a stylist for 22 years and presently work as an independent contractor for the last 3 years. I recently applied for a manager position for great clips, because i wanted to do something different, then just work behind the chair. Has anyone work for great clips as a manager? How are they as a franchise? and what are the benefits.My interview is next Thursday and wondering if anyone has worked for them.

amandamarie8705

krysalis
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:19:40 AM
Dear Krysalis,
Just wanted to see how your interview went with Great Clips? I work for them I have been with the company for a year and a half. I like it alot, as with any salon you have your moments. I think wether you like it depends on the other stylists you work with. I am not a manager but i am very close with my manager and i take on some minor responsibilities sometimes and am in the running for assistant manger. I hope you are enjoying yourself in the fast paced environment.
AMANDA MARIE