Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > **Is it like this everywhere?!
Posted By:
Posted By:eight26 on: 10/21/2006 8:39:40 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: **Is it like this everywhere?!
eight26

**Is it like this everywhere?!
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 8:39:41 PM
I have just started cosmo school ( made a career change from Public relations), and I'm currently working in a salon as a receptionist to get some knowledge about the industry. I work in a supposedly high-end spa and salon and I have recently noticed how apathetic and catty the stylists are here. They don't repect the manager, they blatantly ignore things they are responsible to do that are company policy, leave before their shifts are over causing the receptionists to scatter to reschedule appointments or deal with angry clients, and they all think they they are the most important thing to happen to the salon. They haven't discouraged me from taking on this career change, because I have learned to love the craft, and I am still so very interested and excited to be taking this on. I am, however, concerned that I will be dealing with coworkers like this no matter where I go. I plan on opening my own salon one day, and I am afraid of having to hire people like this. someone tell me not everyone is like this!!!!

Sorry, just ranting, and I'll go ahead and tell you I type horribly so sorry for any typos.

SouthernGuy
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:20:59 AM

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 8:20:08 AM

attitude filters from the top. 
 if the expectations and rules are explained from the beginning and the owner, manager (whomever is responsible) enforces them across the board, and there are consequences for non-team actions/attitudes then there will be positive results.
 so to your query i'd say there are people like this in EVERY walk of life.  if spoiled bratty attitudes are allowed, why should they change?

JustAHairDoer
Bronze Member

I don't understand.
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 9:30:58 AM

I've been saying the same thing on here for years and everytime I do, I get slammed for it.  Everyone jumps on me and says that I'm being ridiculous.  I'm glad that someone else sees what I've seen.  And it's not just in her salon.  It's in most salons. 

Another thing, I don't understand how many people will trash the chains because they make them stay at work when they aren't doing hair, or they make them clean up after themselves, or they enforce the rules, BUT M2 here states basically that a proper salon needs rules and structure.

No M2, I'm not saying you ever trashed chains or anything, just using your post here as an example.  Didn't want you to think I was saying something I'm not.

But why is it that people can see problem employees who act like children in a salon like this and pass it off, but if the same employee is in a chain then they say the whole chain is bad because they hire people like this.  

How can someone say that there needs to b e rules and discipline and everyone needs to know the consequenses of their actions in this salon, but if we do the same at a chain salon then we get bad mouthed for being MEAN and BOSSY.

I don't get the difference.

eight26

Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 8:22:04 PM
bravo m2! I totally agree with you. I am just so shocked at the maturity level of some of the stylists, who are supposedly adults. I am aware that our manager gets taken advantage of, but that doesn't mean we all should walk all over her. just my 2 cents...

hues4you
Platinum Member

eight26
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 4:55:18 AM

Dear eight26-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  We look forward to your participation!

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 5:44:21 AM
M2 makes a great point, and if I could add to her point, I would also say that you want an owner who is really in charge.  Whenever I have wittnessed the behavior you described it was because the owner was too  pasive.  Some owners do not want to reprimand the stylists so therefore, you have some stylists who do what they are supposed to do, dress in code, clean up after themselves, show up on time, but others who do not, because nothing will happen if they don't.  The stylists who do what they are supposed to do as professionals end up feeling used, or like the other stylists are getting preferential treatment.  So therefore you get stylists who take a lead posistion in the company when they are not the owners. 
Whenever I get hired at a salon I always wonder who my real boss is, because sometimes it is not the owner, and that is never a good situation.

doinitright
Bronze Member

Unfortunatley there are the divas
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 7:06:54 AM
What you have described does happen often and unfortunately this does happen in all industries whether it is hair or manufacturing.  There have to be rules, boundries, and limitations.  I work in a small but upper scale salon, there are 4 of us and a nail tech.  Every day we show up, barring a real sickness (not the brown bottle flu) work our shifts, do whatever needs to be done to keep the shop clean and orderly.  We aren't and have never been asked to perform any tasks.  We do it because it is a reflection on us as well as the owners.  Maybe it could be that we are all older, and we did suffer from the diva syndrome when we were younger. Alot of what I have seen in this and other professions, is that people begin to believe their own press. And not to say this is always, but the most of the time it is the younger people.  This is something that at times can only be cured with experience and age, it also helps to have a working attitude.  Sometimes you have to really look around to find the right people, it took 3 years for our salon to fill up with just the right people.  There were plenty of people that came and went.  But now it is as full as they want it and as big as they want it to be as far as stylists.      
This is based on my experiences and beliefs, if it offends anyone I am sorry.  This is what makes this country and this site so great.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 8:33:08 PM
Well I like what you said about the salon you are currently at, having to find the right mix of people, because I think that is such a good point.  I think really sometimes salons and employees need to find there niche.  In all fairness while I had bad experiances at salons, I realise and am mature I guess I could say enough to admit that some of those places were good places but they were not good places for me. 
On to the subject specifically, I agree now that every salon has to have some rules and regulations, but there are some people that maybe would have been comfortable in salons with the regulations that the salons I were at had, but others like me would have found the rules too relaxed and confusing.
I guess part of the battle for new people to the industry is figureing out what there niche is.  I often joke that I want something in between a dictator and someone who I get to work ten minutes before, when the place opens when my shift starts.

reslava7

thank you
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2006 1:48:31 AM
thank you for yor words of wisom.You have help reassure me.         I have a new stylist who needs direction when not with a client. She picks and chooses what she wants to clean or not, example Ill be ringing up a client and shell sweep for me and I do the same for her where available. She does this all the time, no problem.  Yesterday the receptionist was folding towels and the stylist sat there gabbin and not helping so i said she should help her and her response was she doesnt fold them the same way I told her I dont care how they re folded. When I hired her i told her during down time it was also her reponsibility to help. Shes up for review and I have some positive things to say about her but i also dont have patience for lack of teamwork. She thinks its only the receps job, I dont get it... The other thing which irritates me is how many times should I tell staff not to park in front leave it for the client the employee parking is not that far away. Ive told her twice now and her response is that  she always lets me down.. I have no problem saying these things to her and I will clarify in the review. So thanks for letting me rant. Do you thing this is a lost cause or a worthy cause..  I had a real bad deal with the employee she replaced and now Im not sur if I can council anyone or if i am just being nit picky because of the last girl. Ps Its a small salon 4 of us

Classic27

Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 4:57:24 AM

Oh god yeah!!..Stylists are the worst when it comes to attitude and professionalism. That's not to say there aren't stylists who are mature and professional. There are. Unfortunately there are more "know it alls" and "immature head cases" than anything, and yes..it is like this where ever you go.

coffeebean

Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 10:08:19 PM
I work at a local chain salon and have been "micromanaging" there ever since I started. The salon is in a good location, tons of walk-in clientèle from a nearby naval base and college and we use goldwell, so we have a good color line. Only problem is the owner is unprofessional and bounces checks like he's doing it to save the planet. We get 50% or hourly (min wage) but he takes money out for each chemical service we do. He wont replace the shitty fluorescent lights with natural lighting so we have to take clients outside with a mirror to show them color results. I'm in school full time so I don't work there a lot unless it's the summer but we pretty much have to do everything in our salon which allows employees to act outrageous, showing up late, not showing up at all, you name it they do it. If it weren't for 1200+ in sales per week I'd be gone but the clientèle's great with a lot of chemicals. I don't process one cut per week through the computer so I can recover the cost of the chemical deduction that ******* takes.

gd
Gold Member

Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:30:16 PM
It could be possible the owner is having financial problems because of the stylists stealing from him!

ajhull

Not all salons
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:44:01 PM
Unfortunately in our industry it is known that stylists can be catty, negative and lazy. There is a diva reputation and the thought that some deserve everything without working for it. All I want to say is that "times are a changin". The standard is changing. I work in a salon filled with the most caring group of people I have ever met. Partly because we all have a respect for ourselves and partly because we all love this industry. Our boss is amazing and to someone who wants to start there own business I have a few pieces of advice.

1. Lead by example. My boss not only runs our salon but is behind her chair helping her clients sometimes 10 hours a day. Of course she can't spend all of her time there and as her salon grows she gets to take more time for herself. However she went into this knowing that the responsibility is hers and that things just don't happen. She works her butt off and is now getting to reap the reward.

2. You don't owe anyone anything. You are not doing stylist any favors. This is business. You pay someone to do the job they were hired for. If they can't do that job then maybe they were meant to do something else. Get those who are negative "off the bus" and those who have the same mission as you "on the bus". The energy a positive environment creates is magical.

3. Listen. Listen. Listen to your stylist, salon coordinators, assistants and anyone else in your salon. Have weekly or bi-monthly meetings. Keep the meetings constructive by having people lay out there issues in forward thinking ways. Have them make lists of things or issues they would like to discuss. Be willing to put yourself in there shoes. Your stylists may not always do that for you but it is really not there responsibility. However letting them know they are important and what they have to say is important as long as they are trying to be positive will insure there dedication to you.

We all have our bad days. It is work no matter how much you love it. I truly love what I do but I still hit snooze 5 times before I drag myself out of bed. We all have a hard time leaving our bagagge at the door and sometimes that seeps into the salon but that is why a salon should be a team. To help others. Its unfortunate that the salon you are a receptionist for is so negative and the boss doesn't seem to be very concerned with the vibe of the salon, but there is nothing you can do about that. However you can learn from it and make your salon better. I'm sorry if I am to blunt for some of you however I am a no bs girl. I love this industry and am going to do anything I can to be apart of its growth.

Good Luck

pinkkath

Is it like this! Yup! (unfortunately!)
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 11:46:09 AM
If this is the industry you want to be part of, from what I am experiencing in school and from the posts here, we are going to have to endure "high school" menatlity.  I have had a heart to heart with my instructor over a "friend" I started school  with and she has turned from 37 to 17!  Immature is putting it mildly!  Lazy, yup.  But, know that if this is something you have always wanted to do, the DO IT!!!!  Stay excited and professional.  I have a feeling we will go farther than the catty lazy ones!  You go girl!

l.a.c.e.y.p.

well it will be
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 7:53:19 PM
After being in this industry for 10 years, I would have to say yes... I have been in chain salons, way more drama and animosity towards the managers there.... in high end, where the stylists are more drama then the clients could every be.... I have been in salons where there is a few stylists, and there is still some types of drama. It happends in this industry

scaqua

fight the norm
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 2:59:26 PM

I too have found that most salons breed an environment of negativity, gossip, back-stabbing, and cattiness.. and much of it is indeed due to the attitude from the top/owner.

I feel it's hard to find a salon that is well run when the owner is a stylist rather than biz person because many times they are working behind the chair, and dont make time to sufficiently run a place.

The key is to get a good feel for a place before you start by having a friend or two go in there for you to scope it out..

Also, maintain your boundaries so that people won't walk over you, stab you in the back, or expect too much of you. I made the mistake of referring a good friend of mine to work at the salon I worked at. Once she started working with me, our friendship slowly fell apart when she sided with other employees/stylists behind my back. The issues I had at the time were: 1.) I was out sick and my "friend" and the owner decided to move my station without my knowledge (thx for looking out for me friend!).. And 2.) when a new stylist went on the floor, my "friend" advised the owner that my "time was up" in regards to getting new clients and that the new stylist should get them all. I feel that the owner shouldnt be asking stylists for biz advice.. To me this was ludicrous because Ive been with the salon for 2 yrs and am still building. I understand I no longer will get all newbies, and understand the new stylist needs to build, but why not come up with a fair formula for allocating the newbies? Well no one else that i worked with besides the owner understood my pov so i felt very alienated for a while. But had to stick to my guns.

Anyway, my point to all this is.. it's hard to find professional people in such an industry because most dont work in the "real world" and most dont have much of an education.. but they are out there. So dont sell yourself short. And dont compromise your integrity for others because you never know what they'll do to you, or behind your back! No one cares about your biz as much as YOU!

DanielJstyle

whats more !
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:33:22 PM
I have read all the posts in this thread because I knew that at the end I would have something to say. To the initial post Yes!! It is like this everywhere! I have been jumping from salon to salon for years and haven't once found a place that wasn't full of irresponsible, immature, mean, two faced, back stabbing, untruthful, conniving, lazy, jerks Your positive attitude combined with any talent and passion for what you do will only get you heartaches and headaches! better hope and pray that you are independently wealthy or have another income because you will be harassed and forced out of every position by your coworkers lied to and cheated by your employers and don't you dare work for a chain because I did that once and my coworkers were actually tolerable then I started to advance and my superiors were all the same as the people that I left private salons because of ... people will always rise to the level of their own incompetence ... ALWAYS

skinnydog4

Professional Hairstylists
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:46:47 PM
I think that for 1) us as hairstylists are not treated as professionals from many salons. Chain salons treats us as money making mules, they do not pay very well and make us work our tales off for dolloar per hour forcing us to do many clients a day to make a slightly decsent wage. When we work like this, it is hard to be professional and personable with our clients and give them the care they need or to do our best work. Look at newspapers (classifieds) hairstylists jobs are listed under general employment, we are professionals, we go to school, get our licensed through our state and must re-license every year, do continuing education and learn products. We as professionals must take a stand against salon owners who want to pay us scrap wages. Also look at professional products "ie" Matrix, Redkin etc., they also use us for their sales. We sell their products and recieve very little from our salons for commission to sell it, while diversion is getting out of hand. I see our "professional" products in stores such as walmart, target, Fry's Food etc. I think products should go back to ols school where the manufacturers sold directly to salons only and gave stylists better deals. We need to change our industry and fast before workers at McDonalds start making more than us because the way chain salons pay and charge for services. For instance i seen an add for a chain salon for haircuts at $10.95, ok how many of those cuts are we going to have to do to make any money? Lots, and many clients will want the cheaper prices thats why they go, but as stylists, it cheapins us as professionals. I also think that we must take our stand together. Even renters, you must look at things as interviewing the salon you wish to work for, not the other way around. YOU ARE THE PROFFESSIONAL. Time has cheapened our Industry and we must take back control and we build ourselves and industry. Thanks

skinnydog4

Professional Hairstylists
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:47:21 PM
I think that for 1) us as hairstylists are not treated as professionals from many salons. Chain salons treats us as money making mules, they do not pay very well and make us work our tales off for dolloar per hour forcing us to do many clients a day to make a slightly decsent wage. When we work like this, it is hard to be professional and personable with our clients and give them the care they need or to do our best work. Look at newspapers (classifieds) hairstylists jobs are listed under general employment, we are professionals, we go to school, get our licensed through our state and must re-license every year, do continuing education and learn products. We as professionals must take a stand against salon owners who want to pay us scrap wages. Also look at professional products "ie" Matrix, Redkin etc., they also use us for their sales. We sell their products and recieve very little from our salons for commission to sell it, while diversion is getting out of hand. I see our "professional" products in stores such as walmart, target, Fry's Food etc. I think products should go back to ols school where the manufacturers sold directly to salons only and gave stylists better deals. We need to change our industry and fast before workers at McDonalds start making more than us because the way chain salons pay and charge for services. For instance i seen an add for a chain salon for haircuts at $10.95, ok how many of those cuts are we going to have to do to make any money? Lots, and many clients will want the cheaper prices thats why they go, but as stylists, it cheapins us as professionals. I also think that we must take our stand together. Even renters, you must look at things as interviewing the salon you wish to work for, not the other way around. YOU ARE THE PROFFESSIONAL. Time has cheapened our Industry and we must take back control and we build ourselves and industry. Thanks

skinnydog4

Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:49:29 PM
Oops, sorry for double post, hit reply twice.