Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > I made a mistake!
Posted By:
Posted By:scaqua on: 11/11/2006 5:12:54 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: I made a mistake!
scaqua

I made a color mistake! Need advice...
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 5:12:55 PM
I'm an assistant who's been at the salon for about 4 months. Graduated in May 2006 and have my license. The other day the owner (who makes me nervous) had me help him apply color. When we started I mistakenly applied at root (at her parting) but he quickly stopped me and told me only at line of demarc thru ends. I always wait for the stylist to start before I dive in but he's always so rushed so I immediately started. Then I thought he told me to put the client under the drier for 20 min when I finished applying (he meant that she would go under the drier when we later applied a Shades). The color turned out "too dark" (level 6) and the roots were a little pink in spots. The woman came in with 2" level 6 regrowth and level 8/9 blonde hair. He did want to tone down her blonde hair in the consultation so she knew it would be darker but she hated it. Did I mess up the color by putting her under the drier? Did that make it go darker than if we had not put her under heat (he used Enamels)? The roots also ended up pink but we didn't apply it to the roots (only in the one spot I mistakenly did)... she did have a plastic cap on. After the color I put a 7NB Shades on her. He ended up highlighting her with blue bleach. It still looked awful when she left. Should he have tried a Phantom/Malibu treatment on her to dilute the color? I feel so terrible!! I just tend to get so nervous around the owner because his energy is so crazed. He is a nice guy but just can't really handle problems well. He cursed me out and left the salon without saying anything to me.

statikman1
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 10:00:21 AM
While I can't answer the technical questions, as an owner, this is not your fault. He sounds a bit like me.

He should have simply given you clear directions for the colour you were about to apply, nothing more than that.

I always get my assistant to repeat back to me what I've just said. My feeling is if the colour screws up, it is the responsibility of the stylist, not the assistant. Even if the assistant doesn't listen to directions or has a misunderstanding, the client booked with the colourist, not you.

He chose tou get you involved without making sure you understood what he wanted, and also confused you with directions on the next process while explaing the current one.

Don't worry about it, just make sure that from now on, you repeat back what he tells you and make him listen to you. Once you start to "get" him, you will become his favorite assistant.

Also, we screw up some times. It's easy to blame you for the mistake but it's also slightly possible that he formulated wrong. It does happen.

shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

hi
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 9:21:36 PM

i agree with statikman. i don't really hav a clue when it comes to color really. but i definitely knw how you feel about your boss i've had my share of crazy bosses too! from now on i would repeat back to him everything he told me to get it straight in my head exactly what he wanted. and try not to worry so much. Good luck!

Statikman your assistant is luck to hav you.

Lily 

scaqua

So torn!
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 10:46:26 PM

Thx, guys. I totally agree. It's really hard because I get along soooo well with all the other stylists and get positive feedback from them... as well as constructive criticism. Yet I can't seem to click with the owner on a certain level... 

So he and I talked today. I could tell he wasn't going to bring it up. So I apologized again and told him that he is so busy and rushed at times and I'm not used to it and it threw me off track. He proceeded to tell me that he was "over" the whole thing by the time he walked out the door the night it happened. But that he was bummed out because he was out like $200 because of the error and she is also coming back on Thurs for him to fix her... so there's another $$ down the drain. That he would never throw me under the bus in front of a client but I should have known better. He said he can't believe that with the education I have that I'm unable to keep up with him. I had just finished telling him that he makes me nervous at times! I told him that I understand he has a lot on his plate. He told me he can handle it all just fine. Anyway, I told him that I felt that most of my days consist of cleaning and not enough in the hair. He told me another assistant has her eyes on the place at all times and there are times when the hair being swept up isn't necessarily top priority. This girl has been an asst for 3 years!!!!!!!!!! Of course she's on fire. I've been there 4 months and this is my first job as an asst!!!! The place is big and I keep it so clean and manage to run around helping people as much as possible. I close by myself because the girl I close with usually leaves at 5 for another job (we close at 8pm). He said maybe I should go to another area where there isn't so much cleaning and that he was kinda offended that I said that. He said he's the owner and that he still sweeps hair but I told him he wasn't getting my point, which was that I don't mind cleaning but it is a bit much. Then he told me he's been trying to get a cleaning person to no avail.

I'm thinking the salon is not a place to train at.. but better for someone with experience who has a clientele of some kind. Should I get over this and stay?? I do understand that being an asst isn't all cake and balloons but...      

TNGlam

Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 1:00:19 PM

Hi there.

I was an assitant for almost 2 years for 6 Master stylists, and another hand full of stylists that did not work out at the salon.  In my experience they (who ever you assist) want it all. Thats understandable who doesn't want everything, floors to be clean, clients shampooed, laundry done and all in a timely fashion. Just because we want does not make it happen or rational to think it will happen.

And that brings me to my point, NOBODY has the RIGHT to treat you poorly (curse at you) in a work environment! Bottom line.  If in 4 months you are feeling uncomfortable you may want to rethink where you call home.

I Thought I was very lucky as an assistant, I had two "hair daddys" and the rest were like family too. But with family comes issues.  I eventually had to leave my salon, after three years, because of bad behavior on the part of the owner and his better half.  I thought certain "outbursts" were just that random and would not continue but I was wrong. 

It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, they gave me my first break and taught me so very much. But I had to take a stand and do what was best for me. 

What ever you decide to do just make sure you take care of yourself.  There are so many Rockin salon owners out there, you shouldn't have to put up with being treated poorly by one.

Hang in there!!!

TNGlam

shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

hi
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 8:19:51 PM

you knw i hate to say this but your boss sounds a bit to crazed  to me.  maybe you should look for another position but don't quit outright until you have something else. you sound kind of like me whrn i started out really hard working and trying to please everyone and do every thing all at once and on top of that alot of nervous energy. i'm sure that there are alot of salons in your area that would appreciate a hard working girl like yourself. please don't despare i'm sure everything will work out. in the mean time look for classes in your area on cutting and color etc. Good luck and God Bless.

Lily 

scaqua

Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 8:38:48 PM
Thank you. Yes I do want to do my best, work so hard and try to learn as much as possible each day. I am a sensitive person as well. But regardless I do feel that I need to be somewhere that has a better training program. Even if you go to a top school you still need the benefit or trial and error! I do take constructive criticism well but do not get along well with crazed/phsycho people. I found out some people at my salon think I mixed his color formula, which ticks me off but does not surprise me.. so disappointing because he does have a nice side. UGH! 

shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

of course!
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 8:56:00 PM

of course you don't get along with crazed-psycho people because you are not nuts! you deserve better. yes its good to learn and train but, why put yourself under so much pressure and stress remember its one thing to be someones assistant but you don't need to be their scapegoat. Good luck. ps he doesn't deserve your respect.

Lily 

scaqua

Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 11:10:08 PM
thank u so much. u don't know how much your words have helped me. i'll keep u posted. i'm currently looking elsewhere for work... fingers crossed!

shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

Good luck!
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 9:02:15 PM

fingers r crossed!

Lily 

misty
Bronze Member

Good Luck to you!
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 6:43:47 AM
Good Luck to you scaqua!   Get out there and check it out.    There are talented, happy, well-adjusted, intelligent and kind hairstylists in every town!!!   It's up to you to surround yourself with them!!

Blisstone

assisting and education
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 3:48:43 PM
I have worked at three diferent salons. The first one I worked as and esthetician, the second one as an esthetician and a part-time assistant and finally the third one (currently) as a full time assistant.

In the first one I observed for years the different assistants that came and went. There was no education program. It was all: "you will pick it up with time". It generally took at least one year if not two before the assistants got to go on the floor, and that was usually a very arbitrary decision on the bosses part. The assistants did not have the sense of confidence to even start bringing in models for a very long time.

The second place was looser and the boss would let me work on a mannequin head when things were quiet and he would comment on what I did. The problem is that there was no real structure so I had to make up my "lesson plan". Well its hard to motivate in that situation.

I finally took the plunge and started assisting full time at a salon that offers structured weekly classes (every Tuesday evenings) with expectations that I come up with models weekly. Needless to say I am far more confident about my abilities as we review and expand (in a gradual structured way ) what I had learned in shcool (or not learned for that matter). In three months I should become a partial stylist (a couple of shifts doing some basic cuts) and still assist and still continue classes. I am finally feeling totally supported and that has made a huge impact on how I see my future and my place in it.

All of this to say that if there is no real education plan then you will probably spend a lot more time assisting that is necessary. I am not saying you could not become good at styling this way, but that you could become good sooner working someplace with stronger structure when it comes to moving you on to a stylist position.

scaqua

Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 3:13:42 PM
so i quit the salon today. i feel sad because i did like the clients and stylists but so excited to start on my new path, and am relieved to be free of him...! i have a new job at a local salon and i'll be assisting two people. that'll be nice rather than assisting 9.

misty
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 7:20:28 AM
Good Luck to you, Scaqua!!

shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

Congratulations!!!
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 2:10:57 PM

I'm sure this is going to be a much better learning experience for you! and probably alot less stressful for you. Good Luck!

Lily 

scaqua

Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 2:43:43 PM
thanks guys--yeah i am so excited to get started at the new salon! i don't start til 12/13 though so i'm so kinda bored/anxious. i'm sad to have left my friends at the old place but look forward to making NEW friends and more importantly being in a more positive environment with an inspiring (not crazy) boss. thanks again!