Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > How To Fire A Client?
Posted By:
Posted By:mioria on: 11/14/2006 1:17:41 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: How To Fire A Client?
mioria

How To Fire A Client?
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 1:17:42 PM

Ok, so as for crazy clients....I have one, I would LOVE to fire her.....I do like her as a person, I have no problems with her on a person to person level, but stylest to client level.....BIG problem.

She's been with me for 2 years now...pretty much every time she comes in she has made it clear that she never liked the last cut I gave her, which is fine, BUT...my problem is ....when shes in the shop...she makes a big scene...."Ugh, I hate this...why did I even do this....its horrible....blah blah blah..."

shes done this many of times, but yet she keeps coming back to me....for 2 YEARS!!! She says to me " its not you, its the cut"

She will even say to be me befor the cut,"I know i'll hate it, but dont worry....."

like.....what does that mean.........Thanks for having faith in me!

But yet i have done EXACTALLY what shes asked for...and she brings in a pic every time. and I will specifically tell her how many inches im taking off....and where im taking them off. Im very very specific with her.

Im sick of her insulting my hair cuts infron of other clients and stylists, and making a big scene. My co-workers and other clients have even commented on it when she has been in.  To be honest, it eats away at me, knowing that I havent completely 100% satisfied a client.  But I am now at the point....she needs to move on, I cant deal with it anymore.  She was in today, I was so mad, my heart rate went up, my blood rushed to my head, and I actually got a headache!

How do you professionally fire a client???

Help!!!!

autumngold

Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 3:14:34 PM
I would politely look at her and say "I don't seem to please you as a stylist, it probably would be in your best interest to find another stylist to do your hair from now on"

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 6:23:27 PM

Wow, she sounds exactly like the only client I ever fired. Same thing, would tell me it's not me, she just hates her hair. She would leave a message, I need my hair done before I cut my head off. She was very pleasant in every other way. She is the only client that ever did that to me in 20 years. 

One day I had enough, I realized it wasn't me, it was her. I did exactly what the other poster on this thread did. I politely said, "It's become obvious to me that you do not like the work I do on you so I think  it would benefit you to try another stylist." She said "I like the work you do." I then said "Why do you call and leave me message telling me how much you hate it?" She was a bit dumbfounded at that moment, while realizing her chronic complaints led us to this place. I did her hair one last time, I appeared a lot calmer then I was, and I let out a long exhale when she left. She called and left a message on the answering machine saying "Don't worry I don't blame you, it's obvious the owner of the salon no longer wants my business." The owner passed her to me because she was a chronic complainer. When I consulted the owner she stood by me when I decided to tell the woman this.  

Good Luck, I think it will be good for your health to direct her elsewhere. Nothing is worth the blood pressure going up, causing headaches.

I felt bad, still do, and it's been 6 years since. But I am better off for it.

AMirage

mioria

Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 8:03:36 PM

Thanks for your input.

Its just so frustrating as a stylist,and like i said, it just eats at me knowing that im not pleasing her, but i also realize you just cant please everyone.

But I do realize that it is not me, because in my 5 yrs experience (which is not long, but its long enough to know weather i should be doing this type of work or not *L*) That she is the ONLY one who i have had this problem with.  I get so worked up when i see her name is in the book*L*

So, im glad I know what to say to her next time. I wanted to say it today, I just didnt know the right words to use.  I was so rageing mad I really dont know what i would have said *L*

Thanks again!

hues4you
Platinum Member

miora
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 5:23:35 AM

Dear miora-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box in the top.  Firing your first client is probably the toughest, but it is quite freeing when it is done for the right reasons.  I have said in the past - I am sorry, but I think it is time for you to find a new hairdresser, I do not feel as if I can make you happy.  Usually they are floored, because they do not think they are like that.  Stand firm in your decision and state after 5 years I do not feel I can satisfy you and I wish you well.  And just leave it at that.  For some reason, these want you worse then.  It is so odd.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

mioria

Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 6:01:54 AM

Thats guys,

you have all been helpful:)

CopaGirl
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:09:56 AM
mioria, If I were you I would send her a polite note. That way you wont have to deal with her again and there is no chance that you will chicken out! P.S.-Believe me, you ARE pleasing her, or she wouldn't be back. I have one just like this. They will never admit it.

brown2blond

a great letter
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 4:26:56 PM
do a google search for "client firing letter geno stampora". he has a great one and we typed it and changed a few things and it has worked great for our salon the two times we have needed it.

mioria

Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 7:41:54 PM

That is a GREAT article and letter.

I definately want to use that!

Thanks

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 8:45:48 PM
http://www.nailpro.com/pdf/attitudes/npo0801fired.pdf