Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Does it ever get easier??!!!
Posted By:
Posted By:AliG on: 11/30/2006 3:09:06 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Does it ever get easier??!!!
AliG

Does it ever get easier??!!!
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 3:09:06 PM

A question for experienced stylists - when/does it ever get easier to do hair? 

I've been doing all the "right things" - apprenticed, take ongoing classes everywhere I can yet I still feel like a complete idiot when doing hair.  I feel like I'm all thumbs dropping stuff, burning my fingers on the flat iron etc.  I'm feeling pretty discouraged and even considering giving up the profession -- the thing is, I love hair and it's great to do...I just really wish I was a lot better at it. 

I know I've only been doing this for a relatively short period of time and people who love me tell me that I'm too much of a perfectionist expecting way too much but I'm not sure.  I try so hard yet  still feel like my work is complete crap.  I am building clientele but I feel like such a sham because at the end of the day I think what I did really sucks.  Any advice? 

anzz

Hang in there
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 3:52:27 PM
AliG Oh please don't give up yet this is such a great profession to be in.  It sounds to me like you need to just enjoy what your doing just take a deep breath and thank God that your not a nurse (I did that for 12 years) taking care of a dying child or a trash collecter. (LOL) And ask yourself this question do they look better now then when they came in?  If so then you have done at least a good job.  Sometimes we have to many limitations to do a great job and we just have to except that.(like a client that insists on being butter yellow blond when she has no business being blond in the first place) If your clients are happy and they obviously are if they are rebooking then you are most likely doing a good job.  Try finding what your weaknesses are and either learn to do them better or don't do them at all.  I don't do perms because I don't like the way they smell or look most times and my hands fall asleep in the middle of wrapping cause of carpel tunnel and I can do an updo it stays, looks pretty, but I know the other girls that I work with do a much better job, but none of them can even come close to the way I do make-up so find what your good at and enjoy what you do this is an awesome industry and it is so worth the effort.

hairgod

Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 10:12:28 PM

russnyc
Platinum Member

Hairgod
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2006 5:31:06 PM
Hi

Thank you for your inspiring comments. I had a really rough day today, the manager pulled me aside and read me the riot act about an updo I couldn't do, and that I am rushing through some of my work. My challenge is getting personal challenges out of my mind when I'm doing hair. I really need to find a way to focus on the cut and color in my chair. Any advice?

hairgod

Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2006 5:52:16 PM

hues4you
Platinum Member

hairgod
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2006 12:34:40 PM

Dear hairgod-

Excellent advice!  Thank you for sharing :)

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

ron

hairgod
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2006 5:07:11 PM
Excellent advice!  I've been in the business thirty years and not a day goes by we don't learn something concerning hair or the business in general.