Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > TOO EXPENSIVE!!! UNFAIR BOOKING!!
Posted By:
Posted By:pokepres on: 12/18/2006 10:20:52 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: TOO EXPENSIVE!!! UNFAIR BOOKING!!
pokepres

TOO EXPENSIVE!!! UNFAIR BOOKING!!
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 10:20:52 PM
NIGHTMARE!! I currently work in a high-end salon, the most expensive in south florida excluding a salon a few streets down that also provide plastic surgery o_0; I find it very difficult to gain a clientel here because we are so expensive that most of my clients are only treating themselves and can't come in on a regular basis. I feel the booking of appointments is also unfair. It goes by seniority, which would be fine exact...it doesn't get evenly distributed. I have 1 girl ahead of me in seniority and she gets EVERY walk-in until her book is full. If we get 5 walk-ins in a day, if she is available...she gets all 5 of them. There are days where she is so slow that I don't even get to go into work because she will take everything that comes in so they don't want to pay me to stand around and do nothing. I have no stability in my paychecks!! I trained with this salon for 9 months before coming onto the floor and have now been on the floor since August. I have MAYBE 3 clients that come back regularly...is this method of booking appointments normal? How long is normal time to gain a real clientel? I'm also afraid of switching salons and having to train ALL OVER AGAIN somewhere else because I haven't even had my license for a year..I did all my training while still in school. HELP...I WENT TO SCHOOL FOR A REAL JOB....NOW I NEED REAL MONEY!

hues4you
Platinum Member

pokepres
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 5:18:01 AM

Dear pokepres-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Being out of school just a year is not a whole lot of time.  It is going to take time to build a clientele.  Some salons will give you 40 hours at minimum wage a week so you will be available for walk ins.  But, if this is really where you want to work - it sounds as if you are next in line for any over flow.  I suggest you talk to the owner/manager about your money concerns and how you want to stay with the salon and the issues you are having.  Good luck to you.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

russnyc
Platinum Member

Concerns
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:22:11 PM
Hi

This seems somewhat unfair, and I am sorry, but this doesn't seem like it will change anytime soon.

Sometimes, working in the most expensive place doesn't necessarily mean making money. Because you are probably paying a loan down as well, you need to express your concerns with the owners or management but don't do anything until you have another job lined up.

You can take your experience to a mid range priced salon with your reputation from this salon. You also need to find a salon that is at a street level or near a high traffic area, or close to public transportation.

You won't make crazy money where you are because you aren't billing by your experience, but SOLEY UPON your salon's reputation. THIS is why the other woman is getting all the bookings, because you haven't proven yourself yet. Early on in your career, you need to pull referrals in and stop depending so heavily on walk ins over time.

1st year 70% walk in 20% client 10% new referral
2nd year 50% walk in 35% client 15% new referral
3rd year 30% walk in 45% client 25% new referral

5th year 10% walk in 70% client 20% new referral

It is important that in your first several years in a salon, you are given at least 20 or more clients a week to build upon in order to sustain a livlihood. If you enjoy working there, offer several scenarios, such as only working or being available on call when she is booked up. If you cannot change the situation, you need to get up and go. I had to do this long ago, but not before missing my rent a couple of times. Don't stick around if there's no money!

pokepres

thanks
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:39:33 PM
thanks russnyc...that was very helpful. I have discussed my money situation and they didn't seem to care. "You live at home, you don't have any bills." and apparently I never will with attitudes like that. I'm in the process of looking for another place to go. 20 clients a week sounds amazing to me. I'm lucky if i do 1 client a week. I was also thinking the same thing about going to a mid-level salon with my experience and training from the place I am at now. Thanks so much for the advice and the numbers!

in2msclkw

oh have been there myself
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 3:58:58 PM

Yes the booking is way off it should be first available at that time and shared between each other most of the walk ins should go to the newest staff members first . It also sounds like should have waited on the new hire until the other girl had build her book up to the point the salon is turning walk ins away. I would start looking for another salon and stay where your at until you do.