Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > awww.. I am fed up!!!
Posted By:
Posted By:laceesmith on: 12/19/2006 8:42:02 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: awww.. I am fed up!!!
laceesmith

awww.. I am fed up!!!
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:42:02 PM
I have been working at a chain salon for nearly a year.  My manager is horrible.  She is very unfair, will leave you notes rather than talk to you. and if you try to talk to her-she constantly is trying to avoid any situation.  There is 10 stylists working in the salon, all but 2, have just graduated beauty school.  So 8 out of the 10 of us are trying to build our clientele.  Our mall is not very busy, so none of us are making any money.  When I started I was the only "new" girl and so i got most of the walkins... Now that there are so many people, my paychecks are smaller than they were when i started. I feel like i am going backwards.  I really wanna quit, mainly b/c of my manager, but i don't wanna lose my clients and there is only one other commission salon in our city. I can't afford to do booth rent right now.  any suggestions on what i should do?

pokepres

similarities
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:13:11 PM
i am going thru a similar problem. My salon books appointments by seniority and they ARENT spread out. If 5 people walk-in in a day, the girl ahead of me gets ALL 5 of them!!!! No sharing! I rarely do 1 client a week because she is never fully booked so i never get any overflow. I'm currently looking and finding a new place to work, i suggest that you go to the other salon in your city, if you arent making any money, then the clientel you have isnt big enough to worry about leaving

hues4you
Platinum Member

laceesmith
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 5:41:45 AM

Dear laceesmith-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  We look forward to your participation.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

laceesmith

Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 8:01:58 PM

It is nice to know that i am not the only one. i think that i am going to cut down my hours to about 20 a week.  i already work a second job that makes me way more $$$.  So i will just pick up some more shifts there.  I hope i am doing the right thing.  My boss at the salon is going to freak out. 
I'll let ya know how that goes.  :)

shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

hey laceesmith
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 5:14:35 PM

are there any supercuts in your area. its a good company to workk for they pay a salary hav benefits and you only hav to work 25 hrs a week to get them so you could still work another p/t job if you had to (it just can't be in hair). all in all their a pretty good company to work for and theres plenty of walk ins to go around. hope this helps. goodluck!

Lily 

laceesmith

Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 9:25:12 PM

hey shorthairedgirl-

thanks for the info.  I'll keep that in mind, my husband and i would like to move to phoenix sometime in the near future so that might come in as very useful info.  unfortunately there is not any supercuts around here that i know of.  :(

So I told my boss that i would like to cut down my hours and she told me that i will have to wait until she hires more people.  We already have 8 girls just out of school all trying to build. there is not room for more girls with no clientele. She said i would have to wait til it is more convienent for her.  I don't think that it is right that i should have to work around what she wants all the time, I realize that she is the boss but she will not work with me on anything.  SHE IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!!  I am so on the verge on quitting!

shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

not fair!
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 4:09:17 PM

it really doesn't sound like your boss is being very fair. are there   any other salons near you where you could take a job in the meantime. i knw what thats like (to many stylists) i use to work for jc penney and they use to do that there. i think they just didn't want to really pay out commission. good luck.

Lily 

laceesmith

Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2006 7:28:37 PM

I gave my boss me 2 weeks today.  She wasn't happy, but i had to do it.  I couldn't handle anymore.  So for now i am just going to work at my other job (Gordons Jewelers) and hopefully my husband and I can save enough money to get a move on to Arizona. 

GOODBYE REGIS!!!!!

doinitright
Bronze Member

You could check out the other salon
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 5:25:04 AM

Hopefully the other salon isn't owned by the same company.  Some commission based salons are really ok.  I won't say who isn't, but if it is owned by someone other than the one you left, you may find you like it.  I have done both, rented and commission.  Commission in one place (not a chain) was great.  I basically had all the freedoms of boothrenting, but they were still getting 40% of my services.  When you a cashing in a cool $2000.00 a week, they were getting their rent paid with the $800.00 they were getting from me.  But they also gave you the 800.00 back on your vacation time.  It was a true paid vacation!  They paid all supplies except the shears, combs, brushes, and clippers, but hey, we all have our favorites when it comes to those items.  They honestly cared about who they hired as well, no rif-raf and if they turned out to be trouble, oh well they took the trash out immediately.  No waiting for 3 write ups and countless warnings.  Can we say expedited!!!  So all commission salons are not the same as the one you are leaving.  I didn't have a great time there either.  I have noticed the small one to two shop commission places work out well if you are a worker.   Plus, once a year, we went to a real hair industry show, the owners paid for the hotel and tickets, the rest was on us.   Now that's what I am talking about....They knew the benefits reaped there, were actually a benefit to them as well.  Alot of times you find that the bigger the place the more life it will suck from you.  Almost vampire like.  If I had not left the corp salon, (yes the same one you were in)  I was at, I probably would not be doing hair and having a salon now.  I enjoy what I do, I love it.... But I almost left it, when I was there.  I am sooo glad I didn't give up hair because of them.  You may want to rethink and check out the other place before leaving this industry entirely...... 

This is based on my experiences and beliefs, if it offends anyone I am sorry.  This is what makes this country and this site so great.

laceesmith

Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 6:38:38 PM

doinitright-

thanks for the advice. The other commissions salon i was talking about is also owned by regis. So not really gonna check into that.  I do not plan on leaving the industry completely. Like i said in a previous post, my husband and i would like to move to phoenix arizonz(or somewhere in that area). So for now i am just gonna work at the jewelery store and save some money. 

The place where you are working sounds awesome. Hopefully when we get to AZ I will be able to find a good place like that too.  But neway, thank you for the advice. I Talk to you later.  Have a Happy New Year!