Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > highlighting gone wrong
Posted By:
Posted By:momofjjs on: 1/2/2007 7:11:10 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: highlighting gone wrong
momofjjs

highlighting gone wrong
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 7:11:10 AM

hi everyone -I need advice . I had a highlight on a girl with long hair -she had colored it with loreal naturals - I used 10 volume and wella creamor bleach - I put her under the dryer for about 20 min - It was having a hard time going past orange -when I rinsed it our the ends were mush and braking off - I never said anything to her -hoping she would not notice -it was only the ends in the back - I was so upset with my self and inbarresed and I didn't know what to say . what would you say and what went wrong ??

HAIRGEEK
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 7:49:48 AM
Sorry to hear about that happening to you. But no matter how bad you may feel right now about what happend, take it as a possitive thing- you have learned about what not to do.
I think I know what the problem is- Wella prelighteners do not go under the dryer they can only work with 'controled' heat soars which is limited to a heat lamp or color procesor. There are only few prelighteners out there that do go under the dryer and it is usually for 10 min only ( Kaleidocolors, Graffics...)
And also what is Loreal Naturals isn't one of those in the 'box'.
When clients use unproffesional products at home & I am not sure about it (due to containing mettalic dyes more often then not) I like to test strand first to see what would happen.
Also as you mention she had long hair. There are two alarms would be going in my head: she have used a product out of the 'box' & it probably not the only time (last application) & with having long hair I am sure there is a long history of other applications. So I would normally ask them to tell me more (according to the lenght of their hair ) about all the chemical services they had in the past lets say 2-3 years and what is her styling routine- is she addicted to the flat iron. Because it's easy for them to blame us after the service, but clients needs to be aware of the fact that they created the damage themselves in the first place by using products that are not proffesional, along with daily proper care for their hair.

momofjjs

Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 12:53:32 PM

thanks for the info - yes loreal is a box - yes her ends did look damaged and I am kicking myself for even doing it - I should have told her no - - I didnt realize going under the dryer would be so damaging -( I just thought it would speed things up )  the other stylist do it in our salon too .

thanks again

HAIRGEEK
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 5:06:27 PM
Don't beat yourself up there-it's a lesson learned, I am sure we all done it at some point or another.

hues4you
Platinum Member

momofjjs
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 7:39:31 PM

Dear momofjjs

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  HAIRGEEK has given you some excellent advice - we live and learn and grow from our mistakes and hopefully we can help another along the way.  It is a new year with new people we need to make beautiful.  Nice to have you with us.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

momofjjs

Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 8:23:04 PM
here is another question on the same client -how do you handle the situation ? I said nothing and hoped she wouldnt notice - the hair was not coming out at the root only the ends

HAIRGEEK
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 8:31:22 PM
First, did she say anything about her hair or did you notice her dissatisfaction at all? Because too often we are to critical of ourselves & we tend to give that insecurity wibe to them.
Second, how much of the ends? Is it something you could have fixed with a trim do you think?

HAIRGEEK
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 8:54:02 PM
Because if you didn't see that she was unhappy I wouldn't say anything (which I know is hard) , because if you question your own work infront of them -they WILL be unhappy ,guaranteed. I would have recommended a good protein treatment to take home as I always actually do during a service to begin with, and try to reinforse on staing away from the 'box' in the future by pointing out to her that if she will continue using it -she may not be able to get her hilites in next time until it all grows out due to damaging her hair so much .
If it was minimal damage at the ends that can be cut off -I would defenetly do that before they leave the salon.

I guess it all depends on the situation, bottom line is -you do not want her to leave unhappy , & I don't know how many times I was criticizing my own work on the inside, to only notice that a client loves her hair THAT WAY? And, in the end, it is all that is matter!