Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > salon closing!! Help!!
Posted By:
Posted By:kurcina80 on: 1/23/2007 5:19:34 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: salon closing!! Help!!
kurcina80

salon closing!! Help!!
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 5:19:34 PM
I just found out after 26 years that the salon I work for is closing!!! I've been there for nine years and never worked in another salon before. I don't know what to do!! The salon isn't a spa but it's not like a chain salon either!! I'm not sure if I should go to a up scale salon and risk losing my clients over the higher price or go to a chain salon where the cuts and color are a few dollars cheaper then what they pay now!! Please if someone can help me please do!!!!!!

HAIRGEEK
Bronze Member

Kurcina80
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 5:50:30 PM
Don't down size- upgrade!
Try to find a salon within the area ( within 3miles) from were you are now. This way your clients will likely to follow.
And, don't be afraid of change ( I know we sort of get to grow into our surroundings), take it as an opportunity to get better and look at things from a new angle. Check out salons that are busy, curtiuos & professional. I would 'spy' on some of them from the outside to see what kind of 'hair' coming out of the door.

You have 9 years of clientele to bring with you, don't sell yourself short. And while change might be a scary thing, but you never know-it might be a great thing!

And if you are really concerned about a price change-look in to booth renting and keep the prices you have now :)

Good luck!

hues4you
Platinum Member

kurcina80
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 8:00:00 PM

Dear kurcina80

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Wow, 26 years of clients!  What you need to be doing right now is making you sure have the address of your client base and their phone #'s.  You need to be interviewing potentional new salons and getting all your ducks in a row.  This can be a good thing :)  Clients are not going to leave you over a $5 price increase.  Chin up and find your new salon home and get mail out cards ready!

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

russnyc
Platinum Member

Clients
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 6:24:36 PM
Hi

You definitely have your upper hand when dealing with a new salon. Look on citysearch.com and type in zipcodes to find nearby salons and read the summaries and what the clients report.

If AT ALL POSSIBLE, get addresses and do a mailing. I had terrible problems calling people because they didn't recognize the number and I would have to leave messages again and again. I would have rather had the ability to send out a card detailing the new salon.

Get the new salon to promise that you have similar hours, a full time, dedicated station, and that there are no major changes the first six months. You should really put an extra day of the week the first month so that you don't miss any transitional clients.

Be prepared to lose about 20 percent of your clients only because the old salon was so convenient and the new one isn't, or they will come once or twice and not come back because they don't like the energy.

Look, if you have kept your prices low for a long time, or haven't done an increase, now is really the time, like a $5 increase across the board because you won't be able to do it again till next Jan.

Good luck on your move and don't freak out, everything will turn out fine as long as you plan it as well as you can.

bbhair
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 9:22:56 PM

who made this rule that we can only change prices once a year or only at certain times of the year.  I change prices every 6 months or so.  Everytime I go to a new class and learn a new technique I raise prices on that service.

And maybe I read the post wrong, but I thought the salon had been there for 26 years but kurcina had been there for 9 years.

I agree with getting the addresses and doing a mail out or calling.  Contact them NOW so they now what's coming up and find a new salon ASAP.  

Good luck to you.  You'll be fine and you'll do great.

in2msclkw

sometimes change is good
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2007 6:08:11 PM
The one thing i love about changing salons is cleaning out the clients we all have those ones that just drives us crazy always running late or cancel 10mins after the time they were suppose to be there. Or my favorite one is no matter what you do they are  never 100% happy they always fine something to complain about and to top it off there cheap. And go for a upscale salon you should charge what your worth. Not everybody can do what we do its a art.