Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Bite my tongue!
Posted By:
Posted By:scaqua on: 2/1/2007 11:14:48 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Bite my tongue!
scaqua

Bite my tongue!
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 11:14:48 PM
Do u ever have those moments when you want to tell a client how you really feel... but don't out of professionalism? That happened to me today and although I'm proud of myself for not talking back, I do feel insecure about it. At my salon if a client gets their hair colored then they get a blow-dry by an assistant (in this case me), but it's not a "style". The client tells me she wants her hair to have bounce and not fall straight. Well, her hair didn't end up being too bouncy because she also told me she was in a hurry and I was crunched for time, and she had a baby on her lap and was constantly moving her head (the whole situation was annoying!)... so at the end she tells me, "I could have done this at home". I wanted to say, "If you want a styled blow-dry book an appt and pay $50!!". UGH.

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 5:49:43 AM

This is where finesse and experience come in to play.  With experience you let things roll off your back-who knows what her day was like. Unfortunately you were the face that was there at the moment she decided to be snyde.  All part of working with the public.
On the other hand I might've said I'm so sorry you weren't able to give me more time to finish your hair to your wishes.  We do offer a formal blowout for $50 if you would like to book that service in with your next color appointment I'm sure you will be very pleased.

Have a better day Scaqua!

pokepres

pushing buttons
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 4:25:03 PM
m2's example of a good response was great. Also, The owner of a salon I used to work at would get clients like that. If they were in a time crunch she would simply tell them, "if you want great results, I can't be rushed." Or after the client said "I could have done this at home." She would reply with something like "I'm so sorry you aren't happy but I did the best I could do in the time frame you alloted me." and then like m2 said, you can stick in the "Next time if you want us to book out the time for the full blowdry and you have the time available to stay, that would be great!" I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from, I only recently left a very expensive salon where the clients expected you to kiss their feet. I almost lost my temper with 1 woman who kept touching her hair while I was blow-drying it and shaking her head. I stopped in the middle of it and said "What do you want me to do!?" I caught myself snapping at her and then said "I just want you to be happy, so if you aren't let me know now before I blow-dry the whole thing." She then told me (I was already almost 80% finished) that her hair is normally silky smooth and she didn't like the product that was in it, it made her hair feel rough. Now, he hair was OVERLY highlighted and fried and I had to hold back laughing hysterically when she told me she had silky smooth hair. I washed and undid EVERYTHING and started fresh and her hair felt EXACTLY the same, but she was happy and it didn't take any time out of my day because I had nobody after her. You gotta bite your tongue, but there are always professional ways to say what you feel without being mean

scaqua

Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 8:15:46 PM
Thanks, guys. Yeah she is one of those stay-at-home moms with a big rock on her finger... and I wish I had those responses when it happened. UGH!