Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Has this ever happened to you?
Posted By:
Posted By:aprilu on: 2/17/2007 7:30:34 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Has this ever happened to you?
aprilu

Has this ever happened to you?
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 7:30:34 AM
I share a station with one other girl.  We have been sharing for a little over a year now.  She has decided that she want to change stations with in the same salon and share with her close friend.  Our original aggrement was that if either of us were to leave the person doing the leaving would find a replacement...she has decided not to do that.  It gets better, she gave me one weeks notice to find someone.  If I can't find someone I have to pay full rent (I can' afford that), or I have to pack up my stuff and get out.  The owner is unsympathetic to the situation...says she has her own problems.  Rent in my area runs about 1000 a month I can't do that.  Thinking of leaving the business.  Any help?

pokepres

Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 9:04:24 AM
do you have any contracts with this other stylist? if so, she MUST comply. If not, then you're stuck. But there is no reason to leave the business over something silly like this, get your clients info and go somewhere else...you dont HAVE to rent a chair, you can always work somewhere on commission

gd
Gold Member

Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 10:00:43 AM
Unless you have a signed agreement (sub-lease), with the other stylist, there really isn't much you can do. If you have a signed agreement, you can take this to small claims court. In situations like this, you should try and get the salon owner to handle the lease, which would hold both parties liable for their share of the rent. That way if one leaves, the other would only be responsible for their share.

aprilu

Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 10:08:46 AM
There are not many commision salons in my area, it's hourly employee (Great clips, Supercuts, Regis), or rent.  Unfortunatly no contract was signed...I don't even have a contract with the owner of the salon.  I was hoping I would only be heald responsible for my part of the rent, after all some money is better then an empty station.  Expecially with such short notice.  But that has not been the case.  Almost every station in my salon is shared, and the owner gets an extra $150 a month from shared stations, but her focus is on getting full time staff only, and she has not returned any of my many phone calls.

CopaGirl
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 12:12:12 PM
April, why don't you go in to all the other rental salons in your area and find one that does parttime, or ask if anyone wants to share a station. I'm sure you will find one, or maybe put up notices in beauty supplies, trying to find someone to share the chair you have now. You have to get out there and act now, you don't want to lose any clients in the meantime.

tangles32

Make Lemonaide!
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 3:07:10 PM

I say turn this into an opputunity for you. Having your own station will give you unlimited flexability. $1,000.00 per month breaks down to just $50.00 per day. Easy to pay if you just make a few changes.

1. Have your clients send you more refferals

2. Raise your prices slighty.

3. Sell your clients more pruducts.

4. Add new services to your existing clients (bump up their service totals)

5. Have all your clients come back just one week earlier.

All the above shoud make you at least $25,000. more a year. Go for it you deserve to be RICH!

aprilu

Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 7:40:31 AM

All very good suggestions, and some of them I have already done such as putting up notices that I am looking for someone to share my station.  I was sitting on a jury for the last week and a half so I have not been able to hit all the neighboring salons to find someone with a part time opening...that is the plan this week, when I'm not working of course.  I think I have decided that what ever will be will be and that if nothing pans out then that is the way it is supposed to be, after all I have been doing this for 13 years and had lots of up's and downs.  As this business tends to have, and it just might be time for something different.  Then again something has alway come through just in the nick of time to rescue the day in the past...so maybe it will happen again.  Guess we'll see.  Thank you for all your advise, and I hope none of you find your selves scrambeling to keep your business going.

in2msclkw

break it down
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 3:28:46 PM
When you break it down in how much per day its takes to pay for the rent it makes it easyier. And plus you dont have to put up with their mess either.The station is the way you left it. I believe in things happen for a reason and something better is just around the corner. best wishes too u