Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > employee motivation
Posted By:
Posted By:Utopiangirl on: 2/25/2007 5:51:14 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: employee motivation
Utopiangirl

employee motivation
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 5:51:14 AM
Does anyone have advice on how to keep your employees & clients motivated when several people leave the salon and your bringing in new staff members at the same time. In 7 years this has never happened to me and I have been very fortunate to have the staff that I do. There just comes a time where people need to move on for different reasons and its stinks that it's happening within a month's period. I hate that it gives the wrong impression , that there must be something neg going on in the salon , to our clients. I believe that everything happens for a reason and that changes must have been needed, but what a great way to start a new year?? How do you turn a neg to positive? Any advice?

russnyc
Platinum Member

Shake up
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 5:30:37 AM
I agree. This happened in my old salon, and it renewed the energy because the people that left were very negative and it was like a dark curtain lifted when they left. Here's what to do;

1. Hold a staff meeting to "clear the air". Don't focus on anything negative, instead look toward your staff to see who will now rise to the occasion.

Example; If a senior colorist left, see if anyone on your staff is interested in taking an advanced color class or will step up and fill the gap.

If there is a recurring complaint you keep hearing (i.e, Back room always dirty) ask your staff NOW how they might solve this now that the problem people are gone. ASSIGN staff to duties that the old staff had, but by THEIR OWN decision. You might be surprised by the people that volunteer.

2. Don't react too quickly to any more drama. There may be one or two people still on the fence or planning to leave. Say this at the meeting;
"I want all of you to know I am dedicated to all of you being happy here, if you're not, please come to me privately and I will really try to work it out with you". This isn't for the people that have decided already they will leave, it's like insurance to keep your good staff. You should really try to have a staff meeting every month even if there is absolutely nothing to talk about, because it will condition people to feel comfortable with speaking up.

If there is any further drama, WAIT one whole day before reacting to it, figure out how to handle it, and respond. All eyes will be on you, so take 24 hours and really think about it before reacting to avoid losing anyone else with the "me too" syndrome. This is when someone's best friend quits, they feel like she is right, and quit in solidarity as well, later regretting it.

Unless someone is fired, you should really leave a door open to them after they leave even if they don't want it at the time, this will also keep them from talking bad about you. All you have to do is say, "You were a great employee, The door is always open if you want to come back". New salons don't always work out, and an employee that comes back will never leave again.

3. Review your salon policy. If you don't have a clear cut handbook spelling things out clearly, this is probably why your other people left. YOU HAVE TO spell out the things someone can be fired for, responsibilities, schedules, and what is and ISN"T acceptable work ethics in your salon. Again, if you haven't drawn this up, ASK YOUR STAFF what they expect from themselves, draw up an outline with their help, and find a way to make themselves aim for higher expectations of themselves and the people they work with.

Have all new employees do a "group interview" before hiring them. Sounds flaky, but it will make your staff feel good that you are listening to them.

99 percent of the reason you lose people is communication problems. Just be proactive and have people agree to standards beforehand, and you shouldn't lose any more staff.

Utopiangirl

employee motivation
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:07:53 AM
Thank you so much for your reply!! I plan to print it out and take it to work with me today!! THX

in2msclkw

its called Life
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 4:24:13 PM

Things happen for a reason.  Deal with it If there venturing out on their own wish them well and leave the door open to come back if it doesnt work, providing they were well liked.  If your glad to see them go then your better off. If thats the case when they leave, when the salon is closed for the day,clean the station that stylist used and then burn sage all around the station and the salon. Its a cleansing of negative energy that is left behind from that stylist. And a new beginng for your new stylist it seems to work for me over the years.