Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > At what point should you stop????
Posted By:
Posted By:bellamia on: 2/25/2007 7:31:21 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: At what point should you stop????
bellamia

At what point shoukd you stop????
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 7:31:21 PM
Hello, First thing I want to say is That I'm not a miracle worker..I just love to do Hair. I love to play with Color's Create new cut's Styling Hair Just all of it. But you know we all have to learn & keep learning. Ok here's what's upsetting me. When do you stop giving Color Idea's- Color mixture's- How to fix formula's- How to apply tech....I don't have a problem when co-worker''s ask my advice every once in a while,But when they ask you every time they have a client day in & day out..Even when I'm double booked & running behind they ask.I love to help people learn but this is taking me over the edge.I feel that I'm basically doing the client but with out getting the ticket..This has been going on for about 5 month's..please help me..I've said thing's to my Boss but he hasn't address my sitituation,I would love the stylist to learn & know there stuff but I can't understand why they can't stand on there own & create & fix & remember not to be affaird... Then they take there time I mean theeeeeeereeeeeeeeee Time..At the end they charge why more than my boss & myself ..How can I stop the Madness.

HAIRGEEK
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 7:47:22 PM
Bellamia, next time someone ask you for help with color formulation-don't do it FOR THEM, make them realize for them selves what needs to be done. When they ask you about a color they about to do point out the direction or question the obvious & let them find their own answer- this way, they will learn for them selves & won't be depended on you any more.

bellamia

Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:25:06 PM
Do you think I should charge a few or get money off there ticket???& how can they Charge more than me ??There work is not as good. They haven't been in this busness long ..I've been in a long long time I've paid my dues learned from mistake's Do beauitful work & take pride in making my client;s my billboards & advertise for myself.. I have tired to let them figure it out on there own, but they will even come out to my station & ask me while I'm w/ a client & I don't want my client to think I'm A scrooge so my kind heart will help them ,then I have to excuse myself to do this..Any more advice???

HAIRGEEK
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:47:15 PM
How do you mean they charge more than you do?

I know what you mean by saying that you are constantly interrupted ( I personally don't mind that, but at time it gets to be too much).
Thins it sounds like it's becoming troublesome for you- I would talk to those stylists & explain to them that, when you are working on your clients hair, you are ON YOUR CLIENTS TIME (wink, wink). And you would love to help BUT it takes away from your time & overrides on you client time ( who is paying you -wink, wink) there for, from now on, if they have a question about color in the future-do not interrupt you when you are working with a client (unless it's a national emergency) . So when they have a question- they should wait until you done with your client & have a free minute.
-how's that? :ΓΈ)

hues4you
Platinum Member

bellamia
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 5:02:52 AM

Dear bellamia

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Looks like you are already receiving excellent advice.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

pokepres

hope this is not rude
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 8:08:47 PM
I honestly do NOT want to be sounding rude...but, I have a problem with some tihngs you are pointing out along with your struggle.

"how can they Charge more than me ??There work is not as good."

I feel that this statement is a VERY opinionated statement. Who is to say their work is not as good as yours? That is like judging a piece of art. Everyone has different taste in what they like.

"They haven't been in this busness long ..I've been in a long long time"

I understand that alot of the time, practice makes perfect...but judging somebody in an industry that is as artful as ours is, based on their experience is very downgrading and their style of design may very well be the hottest thing in hair since the 'bob'. I am NOT meaning to be rude at all but it seems to me that your frustration has caused you to come to the conclusion that you are better than the people that work next to you and that they do not deserve to charge their prices. To be honest, most of the posh salons in my area and mostly run by the generation of people under 30 years old.

now, your situation at hand, I'm sure can be very aggrivating. If I tried to take money away from a stylist any time they asked for an opinion or help...I'de have a good chunk of extra money. In my opinion, even though you have alot of frustration especially because of the fact that they are bothering you while with a client you may need to take a step back and re-evaluate your thought process on other stylists. I consider it very unprofessional to judge another stylists work because to me...to each his own.

lynnlynn

I know it's late in the game for this...
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 11:45:14 PM

Hi Bellamia, I can't help but think "why don't you raise your prices then?" It sounds like you are a senior stylist at your salon, you have a strong client base I assume... sure some clients may try someone cheaper, but trust me, they'll come back and if they don't new clients will take their place. As for the other stylists interrupting your services to ask you questions I personally don't like to be interrupted and think the advice about telling people not to do it is good advice, on the otherhand, it really sends a message to your clients that you know what you are doing and that the other stylists rely on your expertise - so they shouldn't be suprised when you raise your prices ;)

Probably this is all resolved anyway - but I just had to resond anyway, hope it was maybe helpful!

AliG

Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:41:30 PM

One way I've worked around this challenge is to ask the other stylist's to come to me for help *after* they have formulated for themselves. 

I can then say 'yup that would work' or 'nope, not a good idea' or 'did you think about adding...." and so on.  By asking the juniors to formulate on their own helps them build confidence and reduces the time you'll spend discussing with them. 

Good luck!

AnwahS

learning
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:45:53 AM

I know that you may have figured out a way to handle your situation, but I would like to add my input. I am a junior stylist. I have only been doing hair for a year outside of school. I know that I have a lot to learn. I could go to the master stylist in my salon and ask about what I should do, but I dont because I feel like I am cheating my client because I am not the one that came up with the formulation. ( now if I dont know the color line, thats a different story) but I agree with what someone else said. Make the other stylist figure out what they are going to do and then give advice on whether or not it would work. I personally just feel better when I can come up with the formula myself. I feel I learn better because I am having to consider it all myself. Even when I feel I could be wrong I still formulate it and then ask for advice explaining my reasoning for how I came up with it.

Basically your work is your work, advice is advice. but it should be given as advice not an answer that hasn't been thought about by the newer stylist.

hues4you
Platinum Member

AnwahS
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 5:44:00 PM

Dear AnwahS

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Nice to have you with us!

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator