Posted By:
Posted By:russnyc on: 3/11/2007 11:08:10 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Overdoing it
russnyc
Platinum Member

Overdoing it
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:08:10 AM
When do you say no? When is enough ENOUGH... How do you handle redos and returns? I have to say this because I have noticed that salons are willing to bend over backwards to save a client, but what if the client is wrong? What if it is a setup? (The client is pulling a fast one)

I heard a client once ask for her money back because the color wasn't permanent... because she had roots after 2 weeks! She really thought she would never have to color it again!

Post your ridiculous redos or how you handle returns...

Humberto
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 12:24:34 PM
Most people are are reasonable, however we've all had the psychos, the cons,  the emotionaly unstable, and the irrational client.  Most of the time you will be able to pick up on this during the consultation.  I usually only do a brief 5-10 min consult, if it takes longer than 10 min I will not do the client.  During the consult I ask what they envision and then I TELL them what I feel they should be doing.  If they agree with my point of view I will take them as a client , if they insist on another approach I politely tell them that I will not do their hair and will refer them to another salon.   I inform all new clients that they are paying for my skills and my time, I also make them aware of our "no refund" policy and we will not redo any work, if the final result is not to a clients likes, there will be seperate charge if WE decide to "adjust" the hair.  This takes control away from the client and back to the salon.  It eliminates the problem clients and allows us to work on those people that truely appreciate our salon.   This is our tough love approach, but it works very well for us.   It is funny to see "difficult" clients become pussycats when you take this approach.  Many of these bully clients are putting up a tough facade to cover a very insecure personality, they really want some one to TELL THEM what to do and will allow you to take control. Just do it politely, respectfully, but firmly.  My best clients are aggressive high powered professionals that like to push other people around.  They are usually the easiest to please and the most loyal if you learn how to knock down that prickly exterior. 

JLawHair

One time I was taken advantage of.
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 5:01:25 PM

I have had a few crazies. One situation that comes to mind was a regular client of mine who I usually did an all-over color, and highlights on. She was  about 75% grey, therefore the reason I was doing her base-color as well as highlights- to sufficiently cover the grey. After doing that a few times, she told me that service was getting to expensive for her. We talked, and came up with a plan to only do her base color every other time, to help lessen the cost for her. I let her know that the grey would not be completely covered, but we could blend it enough, until her next visit. So we started doing this, and it seemed to be a good compromise.

Well, my brilliant owner than decides to put on our brochures and website that we now have a "2 week guarantee"-meaning that if you were unhappy with your service, you could come back into our salon in 2 weeks time and get it done for free. They pretty much advertised that. So, one day I get a call from above client, saying she felt like I "missed" some of her hair when I did her last highlight.  ( It was a time I did just a highlight and not the highlight and color.) Although it had been 3 1/2 weeks, the salon owner tells her to come in and that I would fix her hair, free of charge!

When she came in, I started looking at her hair. She said that it looked like I missed spots IN THE BACK of her head. ( How could she see the back of her head?) First, I explained to her that highlights don't cover every hair, and of course there is going to be some pieces that were not highlighted. The owner turns to me and says, well she is too gray, she should be receiving an all-over color as well. I told my owner that I know that, but we had changed how we were approaching her color per my client's request to save some money. Also, after 3 1/2 weeks, hair does tend to grow, so she had REGROWTH. Which was the biggest reason she was seeing grey. I also pointed this out to my owner. I felt like this client was definitely taking advantage of us. The salon owner still made me do her WHOLE COLOR over ( base color AND highlights) completely free. Very frustrating. But I did it. And the client was happy. This client still comes to me, even when I switched salons, but I told her that I will no longer only do a highlight on her.

Here's the clencher though- this client had sent me her best friend whose hair I had also started doing. Well after I did the above clients redo, guess who called me the NEXT DAY to get a redo? Her best friend. And this one made it in the 2 week deadline, so again I was pretty much forced to do it, regardless of the situation.

I knew that both clients were trying to get a service done for free, and I tried to explain the situation to the owners, but they refused to listen. They tried to put a policy in place, but then didn't follow it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is hard to say how to handle these situations. They all have to be assessed on an individual basis. But I say come up with a policy on how you plan to handle these things, and STICK TO IT!

AliG

Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:04:26 PM

If I've made a mistake or a color is not up to my personal standards than I will offer a re-do at the point of service.  However,   redo's drive me nuts! nuts! nuts! when then are not warranted.

An example I have is that a woman came in *5 weeks* after a color service to let me know that the color had faded and that she saw the return of grey after just a few days.  So why not come in a few days?  Why wait 5 weeks?  Salon policy is that we do re-dos.  So I re-did despite feeling like I was taken advantage of...I mean really, 5 weeks?! Talk about re-growth of course you see grey :) 

It's all about salon policy or personal limits.   If you don't have a salon policy then you're lucky as you can define your own!

russnyc
Platinum Member

Specific
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 6:39:57 PM
Several years ago, I had a woman call and demand her money back. I told my old boss it was some of my best work. Well, he stood behind me and told the woman she had to come back into the salon to see the work, upon which, he would gladly refund her money or correct it.

She gave EVERY excuse why she couldn't come back, sick, in the hospital, depression... then the truth came out- she COLORED OVER IT!

My boss held firm, and told her we stand behind the work and din't give her the money back.

The most important thing is to cultivate a standard of giving yet stand behind your people and be wary of people that start to use the system to their own advantage. Be clear about timelines coming back in, because most of the time toners fix things unless there is regrowth coming through...